Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 11:30:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First freeway ride!  (Read 6374 times)
pesto

« on: July 28, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »

34 y/o dude, bought my first bike, a M696 a few weeks ago. Just rode up to Denton from Flower Mound on 35 and I was wondering how long it will take for my butt to unclench.

On a side note, I was wondering if there are any common things to look out for on local freeways or any advice you guys would like to share with a noob =).

Thanks,

pesto

2013 White M696
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »

Congrats!  Dolph

In time, you will get used to it.  waytogo

The best advice I have is to learn to read traffic and use your experience of the road to think ahead of what others will do in given situations. They are not paying attention to other drivers, especially not bikes!
webspoke

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »

Try to stay out of the right lane if there are lots of entrances with merging traffic, or exits with people diving across.  Left lanes are good, as you only have to watch to your right.  Watch out for turbulence off the back of big trucks, passing them is always best.  That works for most potential hazards.  I35 is a tough one, you did well  waytogo

Streetfighter 1098S
caffeinejunkee

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »

With  construction zones out there, be aware of pinch points as well--people entering or exiting with no lanes on either side to maneuver.
caffeinejunkee

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »

...AND no shoulders.
pesto

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice Smiley.

2013 White M696
TresGatos

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »

Welcome to the riding community waytogo
I try to either keep the same speed as the traffic (not focus on my speedo) or pass to get to an open area. 
Good luck and ride safe!

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
muskrat

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »

Congrats but I think you picked the worst part.  The on ramps in Denton are ridiculously short.  In time you'll get used to it but always check your surroundings and expect everyone to pull into your lane.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
pesto

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »

Welcome to the riding community waytogo
I try to either keep the same speed as the traffic (not focus on my speedo) or pass to get to an open area.  
Good luck and ride safe!

Thanks!

Yeah, it was really busy on the way up and I kept having to find open space. It was very challenging but fun. If I seemed to be spending too much time looking at the car in front of me, I backed off and gave him some room so I could have a couple extra seconds to look around. The way back was wide open and a lot cooler weatherwise too Smiley.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:25:21 PM by pesto » Logged

2013 White M696
pesto

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »

Congrats but I think you picked the worst part.  The on ramps in Denton are ridiculously short.  In time you'll get used to it but always check your surroundings and expect everyone to pull into your lane.

Thanks! Yeah thankfully no 'scary' moments. I know the time will come when the cell phone talker tries to kill me Sad. You're not joking about those on ramps either. Kind of embarrassing story but it was really hot on the way up and I started sweating in my full helmet, even with the vents open. My nose started itching so bad I had to exit and pull over wipe the sweat off  laughingdp. When I got back on I hit ~6500 RPMs on the short on ramp which is a new record for me (also kind of embarrassing).

The joys of being a new rider  Cheesy

2013 White M696
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:18:59 AM »

Congrats!  Nothing like trial by fire to knock the new off, eh?!  laughingdp

I live in Flower Mound and do all I can to avoid that section of I-35... even in the car!  On the bright side, it sounds like you did great and weren't put-off by it.

From all you've posted already, and with what others have recommended, I can't add anything to your survival strategies.  So just have a great time.  Motorcycles can be the perfect attitude adjusters.

P.S. There are one or two "country roads" near our area that are a good change of pace so watch this space for weekend group rides that leave from the Flower Mound area.

P.S.S.  A good back protector is a must, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:20:52 AM by Cher » Logged
pesto

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:30 AM »

Congrats!  Nothing like trial by fire to knock the new off, eh?!  laughingdp

I live in Flower Mound and do all I can to avoid that section of I-35... even in the car!  On the bright side, it sounds like you did great and weren't put-off by it.

From all you've posted already, and with what others have recommended, I can't add anything to your survival strategies.  So just have a great time.  Motorcycles can be the perfect attitude adjusters.

P.S. There are one or two "country roads" near our area that are a good change of pace so watch this space for weekend group rides that leave from the Flower Mound area.

P.S.S.  A good back protector is a must, IMHO.

Thanks! I will Smiley. I ride with a taichi RS high protection jacket: http://www.taichimoto.com/rs-taichi-armed-high-protection-mesh-jacket-rsj275/ for now (The white one with grey and red trim). I'll be buying a leather one soon since I hear they are better. I just couldn't find anything that fit right and had good visibility (wasn't black). It has back protection but honestly I've no idea how they stack up against those standalone back protectors. Thoughts?

2013 White M696
webspoke

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

Thanks! I will Smiley. I ride with a taichi RS high protection jacket: http://www.taichimoto.com/rs-taichi-armed-high-protection-mesh-jacket-rsj275/ for now (The white one with grey and red trim). I'll be buying a leather one soon since I hear they are better. I just couldn't find anything that fit right and had good visibility (wasn't black). It has back protection but honestly I've no idea how they stack up against those standalone back protectors. Thoughts?

RS Taichi makes very solid gear, I was looking at their CE back protector (foam) and it looks pretty good.  The best are the hardshell types that extend further up and down the spine:

But they are not as easy to fit/wear all the time.  Most here use one of those for track days or heavy sport riding days, but stay with the internal/smaller protectors for commuting and running around town.  As a group the DFWM crowd is pretty pro-gear.

Streetfighter 1098S
pesto

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

Nice tip, thanks. It's good to kind of get a feel of what other people find useful (although when safety is involved it's especially a personal choice). That's definitely more coverage than my jacket. Wearing something like that for more spirited riding seems like a good idea  waytogo.

2013 White M696
nickshelby500kr
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:58:17 AM »

If you're in the flower mound/ Denton area, and cruising on 35 be careful. Denton PD fines are outrageous. 1-10 over is $230 and 11-20 over is $240.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: