Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 07:22:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...what do you all think  (Read 61345 times)
scaramanga

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

best bet would probably be monitoring "Total time logged in"

2008 s2r1000
2011 sf1098
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

Can new, low count, members be automatically introduced to an email address they can send the offer to if they are convinced their offer is worthy special treatment?  

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

I don't want to have to monitor anything.

Can new, low count, members be automatically introduced to an email address they can send the offer to if they are convinced their offer is worthy special treatment? 
No

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

scaramanga

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »

I don't want to have to monitor anything.
It can all be done by writing a bit of code. You are already collecting the data it seems.

2008 s2r1000
2011 sf1098
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

It can all be done by writing a bit of code. You are already collecting the data it seems.
I'm sure it can, but you can be logged in and not contribute a thing to the forum

Besides, I'm not a code person, and SMF has been known to get wonky, or other modifications will cease working when custom modifications are written in.

There is already a very simple way to do it and I like simple.

People with less than x posts won't be able to start a thread in the for sale sections.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »

I think a person's ability to post classified adds on the board should be directly tied to the number of instances they've insulted IZ.  No for sale posts unless you have ridiculed him (hobbit jokes, IZ_ pictures, stories of nails or bee stings, you get the idea) at least a hundred times.

Grin

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »

There is a reason I didn't offer a 'member since' option.

The forum software can be set up to deny a specific  permission to a specific group in a specific board.

There is no way to enforce a member since option other than one of the admins to read every for sale ad every day. That creates more work IMO, and doesn't really solve the issue. We're not going to add moderators. The place works fine with the current crew.

As far as a bunch of junk posts to bump up post counts?

That's easily remedied.

So, since the posts will need to be quality it will take a while to get there depending on the count.

I think too high a number will be counterproductive. It will just limit the number of items the membership will be offered.

You lurkers should post up more and become part of the community.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
roggie

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »

I'm going to throw in another vote for considering both "member since" and the post count. Adding the member since time into the equation will reduce the chances of getting "bump" posts while not preventing members who just don't post a lot - like myself.

+1 and bump

just trying to get my post count up. i might have some shit to sell in a few months  Grin

jk of course, very cool that you put this to a group decision. its things like this that separate this forum from so many others.

hbliam
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

The time as a member option is dead. I think DP made it pretty clear, he can easily set up a post count wall but there isn't an automatic way to deny users based on time as members. He can also delete their 24 +1's as he see's fit. So that seems to be the solution but I still think 50 would be a better threshold.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

jk of course, very cool that you put this to a group decision. its things like this that separate this forum from so many others.

And the constant abuse of IZ.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

The time as a member option is dead. I think DP made it pretty clear, he can easily set up a post count wall but there isn't an automatic way to deny users based on time as members. He can also delete their 24 +1's as he see's fit. So that seems to be the solution but I still think 50 would be a better threshold.
I'll modify the poll to add higher post counts.

You'll be able to change your vote.

perspective

Raux
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

Here's what I think:

We're all adults and can choose from whom and what we buy in person, so why not online?

If I see a single poster and he has something I want desperately, I could care less if he didn't post 2000 times in the "what are you listening to?" thread (no offense, Kopf)

We tend to talk enough, within sellers posts even, to warn people buying if this are scammers after the first one.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »

don't allow anyone who has not "donated" to the board to post in the for sale classifieds...

Donate
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:26:34 PM by herm » Logged

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
hbliam
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

Here's what I think:

We're all adults and can choose from whom and what we buy in person, so why not online?

If I see a single poster and he has something I want desperately, I could care less if he didn't post 2000 times in the "what are you listening to?" thread (no offense, Kopf)

We tend to talk enough, within sellers posts even, to warn people buying if this are scammers after the first one.

They can use ebay for that. Or they can come here to sell with no fees and "use" the DMF. I think that's the issue ....but I'm currently on Percocet so I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:31:33 PM by hbliam » Logged
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »

I've bought and sold to people with <25 and >500 post, haven't had a problem yet. If people come here to sell parts that somebody might need is that a problem?

Here's what I think:

agree

sketchy parts don't sell.

Just my 2 cents.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: