Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 08:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: School me: Elefant (E900)  (Read 12788 times)
memper

« on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

How does it differ from the M900's of the 90's?
They look seemingly like m900's.
I'm curious bc there are Elefants and Gran Canyons on evilbay now but I know nothing of the performance characteristics.

I will still likely keep my eye out for a V head 900 but I still gotta ask. Sorry for the noob question...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:54:48 PM by memper » Logged

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

I recently checked out 3 models of Elefant. An '85/86 650, '88 Elf 750 bifaro (twin headlight) & '95 750 AC (last iteration). Got the good oil from some Elefant nuts.
I'll be checking out an '88 monofaro 750LE in Sept.

I was very impressed. I understand why people who have them are crazy about them.
The carbed 900 models from '93/94 are reputedly meant to have 900V motors, but I cant confirm that. If you do, let me know. The Gran Canyon looks a more road biased version with the Elefants more dirt capable. The 90-93 ie bikes and GC have W heads.

Ducatiz knows alot about them and speeddog has a Gran Canyon. I would strengthen the wiring on the Elefants and change the very restrictive mufflers. Brad B has demonstrated how restrictive the airbox is on the GC, even with open lid.

Awesome long distance bikes with good ergos and all rounder capabilities. I want one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:53:37 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »

The E900 and Elefant 900 are the same bike.

They have W heads only.

I don't feel the E900 is a bonafide offroad bike, it's more of a sports tourer.  More road bias.  The older Elefants (650/old 750) had a much better offroad bias -- long ass forks.

The Gran Canyon is also a sport tourer.  beautiful bike IMHO, also W heads.

They are not Monsters or SS bikes.. They are totally different -- the frame is made by Cagiva and is not a Ducati style trellis.

I'll have a GC one day.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »

So Falloon's wrong again? I forgot to ask the guy about the W head thing.
The 900AC models had W heads too?
So effectively, all E900s had W heads?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:38:40 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »

MY 99 Cagiva Gran Canyon has W heads...( which is for sale )

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Raux
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:32 AM »

My take on the E900 and GC was they were the godfather of the MTS.

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:33:57 AM »

more or less

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »

So Falloon's wrong again? I forgot to ask the guy about the W head thing.
The 900AC models had W heads too?
So effectively, all E900s had W heads?

All of the Elefant 900/E900 models that I know of have W heads, but it's possibly they put the V on one.  I have to ask the elefant oracle..

And the Alazzurra was the godfather of the ST

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Raux
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »

And the Alazzurra was the godfather of the ST

and unfortunately they killed the line after that

i would love to see a Hyper/Diavel motored ST duo revival

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:12:23 AM »

According to Falloon:

The 900ie had the same heads as the 900SS, but with same cams as E750 and Paso.
It had a 5-speed transmission.
P7 ECU.
'90 model had 300W alternator, '91 got a 350W.
The '91 900 ieGT had a 6-speed.
All the 900's have 19" front wheels, (IMO: fine for the street, fine for hard dirt, hopeless in deep sand).

'93 E900 got Mikuni carbs and engine same as 900SS, and a cat in the muffler.
Showa 45mm USD forks, rear shock now Boge instead of previous Ohlins.
Dual (smaller) front discs.
Lower seat height.
Purportedly stayed the same 'til the end in '95.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »

I have a 2000 Gran Canyon 900.

Biggest issue is finding plastics.  Not impossible, but requires patience.

I have been told the GC900 has 750 heads on it.  It's definitely wheezier than my former 2001 900SS.  The factory rating is something like 10 HP less as well.  A somewhat desirable mod on the GC is to install 900SS heads and a PCIII.  Adds quite a bit more poke, and one user on the Yahoo group has the dyno charts to prove it.

The GC is so-so when taken off pavement.  The Elefant may be better, but I have no FHE with the E900.  I ride mine down 5 miles of gravel to get to the pavement when commuting.  It's okay on that.  I'd have to go *really* slow on any kind of singletrack, and that'd be a risky adventure.  I'd say you can get in about as much trouble as you can on a BMW 1200GS... except the GC is lighter and narrower, which makes it a touch easier to handle.

On pavement, it's a wonderful machine.  It's supremely comfortable (and I'm 6'4").  It handles very nicely.  Mine has Remus Ti cans on it... sounds great.

Hard to compare to other bikes.  It is definitely the predecessor to the original Multi.  Similar ergos and functionality, just less grunt.  IMO, it looks better than the original Multi.  The Multi 1200 is in a whole other league... that's a long-distance power tourer.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »

Yiddische language lesson time!

"mish-mosh"  See below:

According to Falloon:

The 900ie had the same heads as the 900SS, but with same cams as E750 and Paso.
It had a 5-speed transmission.
P7 ECU.
'90 model had 300W alternator, '91 got a 350W.
The '91 900 ieGT had a 6-speed.
All the 900's have 19" front wheels, (IMO: fine for the street, fine for hard dirt, hopeless in deep sand).

'93 E900 got Mikuni carbs and engine same as 900SS, and a cat in the muffler.
Showa 45mm USD forks, rear shock now Boge instead of previous Ohlins.
Dual (smaller) front discs.
Lower seat height.
Purportedly stayed the same 'til the end in '95.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

and unfortunately they killed the line after that

i would love to see a Hyper/Diavel motored ST duo revival

They killed the line because they sold so few.. the Tre was the last model and i think it was about 400 sold in the last year.  the only people buying them were Ducati owners..  first time buyers of ST type bikes didn't go Ducati, they would get BMWs or Hondas or the venerable B-King

Raux
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

with the new long service interval, it's the perfect time to reintroduce the ST line.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

with the new long service interval, it's the perfect time to reintroduce the ST line.

Make sure to include the features that pudgy, middle-aged men want, and it might sell better...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: