Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 12:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cawell Coating  (Read 5092 times)
NAKID

« on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »

Just got my new tank in and was wondering if anyone in the area knows where I can get it coated. Local dealer wants $300 and I think that's a bit on the steep side.

Thanks!

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »

$50 for the product and about 3-4 hours of labor.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
red baron

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:57:07 AM »

Call Moto Forza, talk to Jason in service and he'll tell you who does it locally if you want to have it done.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
NAKID

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

Tiz, you're crazy. I wish I had the time and space to do it.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »

gastanklining.com

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »

Tiz, you're crazy. I wish I had the time and space to do it.

Lol no I was saying that so you can compare prices.  I would be surprised if you can find it for less than about 3 hours labor.. what is the labor cost by you?

You should still dry and prep it yourself.   If they coat an expanded tank, the surface could shrink and detach the coating.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NAKID

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »

Lol no I was saying that so you can compare prices.  I would be surprised if you can find it for less than about 3 hours labor.. what is the labor cost by you?

You should still dry and prep it yourself.   If they coat an expanded tank, the surface could shrink and detach the coating.

Oh OK.

This would be a new tank...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »

Oh OK.

This would be a new tank...

i would still rinse a new tank with cleanser and pop the "zits" in the tank.  the manufacturing process does leave a waxy residue (which gasoline removes) and the zits are air pockets that can hold condensation.  plus opening them gives the coating more hold.  I've considered scoring the surface with a blade as well.  The coating will adhere to a smooth surface, but rough surfaces allow it to tack MUCH better.

Read my howto on it, you can do a lot of this in your apt without any problem.  The cleanser I use is water soluble and safe to pour down the drain (it will help with plumbing too). 

I just don't trust that anyone is going to prep the tank like it needs to be.  I think the coating will hold well, but will last far longer with a properly rinsed, dried and prepped tank. 

NAKID

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »

gastanklining.com

Awesome, I'll give them a call.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
red baron

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

I just don't trust that anyone is going to prep the tank like it needs to be.  I think the coating will hold well, but will last far longer with a properly rinsed, dried and prepped tank. 

Much like any paint/coating job. waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

Awesome, I'll give them a call.

$350 to clean and coat my 600TL tank

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: