Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 23, 2024, 07:29:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Input requested: '12 Monster 1100 EVO, only 1 key & no code card  (Read 3216 times)
2WheelBuddha

« on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

I may be selling my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO (love the bike but it has been sitting, just bought a race car so the Monster will be sitting some more I fear). The reason for this post is this:

I bought the bike used from the local dealer (withholding name for now, hope they step up), after the deal was all done the salesman says "oh yeah, I'm going to rush deliver/UPS overnight a box to you next week, it will have the other key and code card." I was not too concerned as I have heard nothing but good things about the dealership, the owner (one of my friends is friends with him). Apparently the previous owner, a customer of theirs, traded the EVO in on a Multristrada and he only provided the dealer with one key. Flash forward to the next week: no key or code card. I call the salesman and am told they will get it to me, OK, no biggie. A few months go by and I talk to the salesman, he said he is still trying to get the other key and code card from their customer, he travels out of country a lot, etc. OK, no biggie. Well, I bought the bike in October 2012, here it is the end of August 2013 and still no key or key card. Fortunately I safeguard the ONE key quite well.

I'm obviously not happy about it...but now that I'm contemplating selling it I am quite concerned. I have asked the dealer if they would buy the bike from me and have not heard back from them (price has not been discussed). If not, well, I understand...but then I am really going to need the key and code card to sell it to an individual...then again...the dealer should too. Had I known what a big deal this was I would not have accepted the bike. So, what are y'all thoughts/opinions on this? Especially if *you* were interested in a bike and then found out it only had one key and no key card? How much will this hurt the sales price if I do sell the bike to an individual?
Raux
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

keys are expensive and the key card irreplaceable.

BUT an ECU flash can get rid of the immobilizer

I had the option to buy a 749 with no red key once, before I learned about the reflash option, passed it up.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought it without both keys and card... who's the say the person with them is honest.

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:05:18 AM »

seems like they should be on the hook to either get you the red key or reflash the ECU for you. You were promised the key.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
red baron

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:03:49 AM »

Stop dealing with the sales guy and go direct to management/ownership.

12 months of empty promises is piss poor service. Angry

IMO, they never should have let the bike leave without those components.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
oldndumb

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

Agreed, forget the salesman and contact the management in writing.
If it is a stand up organization they will want to work out a resolution with you. If not, and if the bill of sale is "As Is", you might have a problem that will impact your wallet. Then, the Caveat Emptor concept becomes operative.
BlackdogGS

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »

Been there done that!  Bottom line, it cost me $550 for a key and card.

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/180615-ducati-key-code-card-nightmare.html

2010 Ducati Monster 1100S
2010 BMW 1200GS
2011 Yamaha WR250R
2WheelBuddha

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »

Appreciate the input. It appears the dealer is stepping up.
2WheelBuddha

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »

Dealer has stepped up and bought the bike back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: