Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 23, 2024, 07:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freak Fall  (Read 4014 times)
bob795

« on: September 06, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

Hi guys,

Earlier this evening (it's night here now) I had a freak fall.

I was on my way home from the office. I was only about 200 m away from the office building when I had this freak fall.
A car slowed down in front of me, I pulled the front brake, and all of sudden the front tire just loose traction, slipped and down I went.

I wasn't speeding. I was riding slow. It was no more than 30 Kph or 40 Kph. I clearly remember that, cause I remember thinking, and I remember telling myself that the street was relatively empty but I had to be careful with the throttle... don't rev the engine ... the engine is still cold...it's not not warm yet. Easy  on the throttle.

I clearly remember that, cause it was tempting to speed up... because the street was empty Grin

Anyway, I was documenting my ride home with my GoPro and it happened to be recording at that moment.
Here's the video... :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29605491@N07/9688079992/#secreta82a883ba2

What do you think happened there? My guess is cold tire and cold brake, but I don't know...

Nothing like this ever happened to me before. I've been riding for 12 years, and I dropped my bike 3 times, including this one. I know what caused the previous two drops ... but I'm not sure about what's causing this one bang head

My left foot peg is broken, and my shifter is also broken. It's quite difficult to shift with a broken shifter  Grin.

The fall bruised my left hip and it's pretty sore now. I find this a bit ironic... cause you know that riding pants with hip protector? I always thought that I don't need any hip protector ... well I can't be more wrong than that ... I'm going to buy a riding pants with hip protector tomorrow.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »

The only think I can think of is maybe ridining in the middle of the lane like that you hit a spot of oil.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
pesto

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »

I thought the same thing. I was looking for spots on the road but don't see any (not to say there wasn't any there, I just don't see it). Is your front tire in good condition? Very strange. Scary footage, glad you're relatively ok. Thank you very much for posting this.

There's something in the road to the left of your motorcycle, reflectors or something, is there any possibility you crossed over one at the moment you braked?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:33:19 AM by pesto » Logged

2013 White M696
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »

The middle of the lane is the worst place to be. Not only oil, which is almost universally present, butt a little gas or diesel will make the pavement very slippery. Oil you can usually see, butt not always, gas or diesel will be invisible.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
DucRS

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

It appeared as if there was a slight left turn hesitation
just as the front brake was applied thus causing the front
end to slide out. Huh?

I've had that happen before...on my dirt bike.

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
Blackout

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

Most likely road debris. It happened to me last year with just a bit of gravel. Lucky you didn't break your wrist (like I did).  boo

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

I don't mean any offense by this but it just looks to me that you ended up to close to the car in front of you and when the driver hit the brakes if startled you a bit and you grabbed too much front brake causing the front to buckle. It's very common, our first response when startled is to clench our fists.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »

Have you done any maintenance recently and left anything loose on accident? aka did anything get caught in your front wheel causing it to stop?

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1982 Virago 920 Cafe/Fighter Project
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

"There is no minimum."  - some guy.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »

Cold tires, cold brake pads (some OEM pads are grabby... dunno about these), and panic-stop forces on the front brake lever.

No offense intended.  I've dropped a bike before in a similar fashion.  Coming up to a light that was hidden behind trees as I came down a hill... didn't see that it was red until the last second.  My front slid, turned ever so slightly at the last second as the bike came to a halt, tucked, and it tipped over.  Had to have been the most gentle lay-down in history... I was holding it off the ground with all my strength, but didn't have enough leverage to actually get it back upright.  Had to gently as possible set it the rest of the way down, then reposition and lift it back up.  There was nothing on the road in my case... just too much force on the front brake lever, and the handlebars didn't stay perfectly straight.

The lesson learned?  Don't ride while tired and hungry (this was late in the day, after work, before dinner, trying to squeeze a ride in), and pay closer attention for hidden stoplights.  In your case, I'd say a combination of following distance and trying to anticipate what the driver or rider ahead of you is going to do.  Be aware, no matter how carefully you ride, there will be some bad situations that are unavoidable.  We can mitigate risks, but can't always eliminate them.  Such is the life of the motorcyclist.

Glad you're okay. waytogo

Ride safe...  Dolph

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »

Most likely road debris. It happened to me last year with just a bit of gravel. Lucky you didn't break your wrist (like I did).  boo

Shocked

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
scaramanga

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

the road looks a little funky just as your passing the blue cab, maybe you picked up some oil there.

2008 s2r1000
2011 sf1098
bob795

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »

Thank you very much guys.

Oil and debris. That particular street was blocked/closed due to a demonstration and was only open about an hour earlier. So it's possible that there are debris or whatever on the street afterward. And also oil. Do you guys notice the car in front of me spewing some white smoke, before I fell?

It is possible what The Bearded Duc and duc_fan wrote, that I was startled cause the car in front of me brake and I panic. I'd like to think that I am experienced enough to avoid panic braking and braking like that ... but apparently I'm not  Grin

The thing is I brake like that quite often before, cause that is something that often have to be done in the traffic here. A bajaj (tuktuk) suddenly move to the your lane without signal, another bike cut your way... cars are less often to do that ... A pedestrian cross the street without looking. I often face situations where I have to brake hard but maybe the difference is last night it was a panic brake and I grabbed the brake lever too much.

duc-fan wrote:
  Don't ride while tired and hungry (this was late in the day, after work, before dinner, trying to squeeze a ride in), and pay closer attention for hidden stoplights.  In your case...

That's true. Yesterday was my first day in a diet program that I'm going to do. This will be the second time I'm doing it. Great program and worked well. I had to stop doing it due to the fasting month, about two months ago, and I'm restarting it now.

Anyway, I didn't eat any kind of carbohydrate that day, also consumed no sugar and had been drinking black coffee only that day. Yesterday was also my workout day/gym day. I usually workout during lunch hour but yesterday I planned to workout after office hour. After office, I changed my mind cause I felt a bit sluggish, tired, a bit sleepy and a bit light headed. Not a good condition to be riding a motorcycle. Maybe, that's what caused me to panic brake.

Thank you very much for all your comments guys, I learn a lot reading them.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
scduc

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »

I'm no expert nor do I wish to be, it almost looks like a panic. I see the car in front braking heavy, just as you start to excelerate. That along with possible oily condition.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
pesto

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

BTW does your monster have ABS?

2013 White M696

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

Oh, that looked like it painful!!

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: