Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 23, 2024, 11:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's your lecture about proper riding gear.  (Read 6824 times)
Steve.In.Atlanta

Rider in downtown Atlanta

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »

But I can tell you the gear did it's job at 7am August 11th 2006 when I got hit by a semi...

WTH?!?

2005 Monster S4R
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk3 (project bike)
2001 Monster 900S (stolen)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

If I recall correctly, NAKID posted some pics of injuries from that... it wasn't pretty.

-------------

I live in the middle of nowhere, so the proverbial "7/11" run is still 60 mph for at least 12 miles into the closest town, and there's either 1 mile or 5 miles of gravel, depending on which way I go.  I gear up completely... including the black leather Icon Automag overpants.  If it's too hot (north of 100 for me), I take the air conditioned cage.  I've biffed at ~7 mph off my mountain bike on gravel... picking rocks out of your bleeding palms is not fun.  Tongue  I figure doing 30-35 on the gravel is plenty fast enough to get seriously f*cked up.  And you never know if there will be some farm equipment trundling down the middle of the road on the other side of that hill you're cresting, or a farmer in his big dually pickup, or a semi hauling cattle... nevermind the deer and livestock themselves stepping out in front of you.

Anyway... like krolik stated, dress for the level of risk you're willing to take.  For me, in the area I live and rides I take, that means ATGATT, unless I'm just going the 1/4-mile up our own driveway to the mailbox.  If I'm hitting public roads, the risk is high enough it's either wear the gear or take the cage.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:19:14 PM by duc_fan » Logged

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:52 AM »

i always were all my gear. period.

i used to have about an hour commute 1 way, through VERY empty country, except slow moving farm implements and fast moving game.

these days i never commute to work....it's 4 miles, and takes longer to warm up the bike and put on the gear than the ride.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
NAKID

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »

WTH?!?

I was on my way to work on surface streets doing about 35 when a semi going the same direction turned into my path of travel. I was seriosly injured, but no amount of gear would have prevented that. What the rest of my gear did was prevent me from getting ANY other injuries besides the broken leg. I am convinced that had I not been wearing my OXTAR boots, I wouldn'd have a left lower leg. I would have at least lost my foot.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Steve.In.Atlanta

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »

I was on my way to work on surface streets doing about 35 when a semi going the same direction turned into my path of travel. I was seriosly injured, but no amount of gear would have prevented that. What the rest of my gear did was prevent me from getting ANY other injuries besides the broken leg. I am convinced that had I not been wearing my OXTAR boots, I wouldn'd have a left lower leg. I would have at least lost my foot.

Glad it wasn't worse.

2005 Monster S4R
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

Nobody needs to justify how much gear they wear. But if someone is comfortable accepting the risks that go along with wearing nothing more than a helmet and jacket, that doesn't make em stupid. There are certainly squids out there that *are* stupid and misinformed, and people that will make ridiculous arguments that have no basis in reality such as helmets *increasing* your risk of injury ( Roll Eyes ) but that's not who I'd ever defend. At the end of the day do whatever the hell you want as long as you're only putting yourself at risk and not spreading disinfo.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Raux
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »

Nobody needs to justify how much gear they wear. But if someone is comfortable accepting the risks that go along with wearing nothing more than a helmet and jacket, that doesn't make em stupid. There are certainly squids out there that *are* stupid and misinformed, and people that will make ridiculous arguments that have no basis in reality such as helmets *increasing* your risk of injury ( Roll Eyes ) but that's not who I'd ever defend. At the end of the day do whatever the hell you want as long as you're only putting yourself at risk and not spreading disinfo.

nor is it stupid or blind to wear gear in any type of weather
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »

nor is it stupid or blind to wear gear in any type of weather

Yeah I'll agree...I guess it's just an urge I can't relate to. Cheers  chug

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Greg

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:21 AM »

Just got back from a trip to the UK and unfortunately witnessed a motorcycle accident right in front of me. I was at a T-intersection, first car inline and was about to pull out when I saw a motorcycle approaching, so I waited for it and as it gets almost level with me a frikking BMW X3 coming the other ways turns right in front of it. The motorcyclist tried to swerve to avoid it, but clipped the back end very heavily. Turns out the rider was a 22 year old girl on her way to work. Fortunately she had full gear on and it saved her a lot of additional injuries, but it looks like she still broke her leg or seriously screwed up her knee. I did my part and made sure her family were contacted and also her work, and then held her hand until the ambulance came because she was in a lot of pain and very scared. Also made sure to give my statement to the police as the BMW driver did not seem to think it was their fault. Anyway, her gear sure did its job, no road rash and no head injuries.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »

Glad she came out okay, if a little worse for wear.  And THANK YOU for being an unselfish person, taking the time to help and provide comfort.  waytogo

Just had CPR/AED/First Aid refresher training this week (I try to keep my Red Cross cert current).  They told us that 80% of people who witness a traumatic event do nothing, 10% do the wrong thing (unproductive/unhelpful... like screaming, getting in the way, etc), and only the remaining 10% do something helpful.  You sir, are apparently in the good 10%.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »

Good work, Greg.  waytogo

As for gear, pretty sure I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing my gear (especially my helmet) the night I bagged my deer. Or substantially more ugly.  Wink

Now that I think of it, the 4-year anniversary of that event is in two days. <shudder>  Undecided

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Greg

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »

Her accident reminded me of mine own many years ago in college, when almost exactly the same thing happened, a car coming the other way turned across me and I went flying over the car. Without gear I'm sure I would have had a severe head injury, plus other cuts and abrasions, as it was I was lucky to escape with only a fractured wrist.

Gear works, but only if we choose to wear it.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
bob795

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »

To me wearing proper riding has been a long and slow learning process  Grin

Had my first motorcycle accident when I was in junior high 2d grade. I was on a 2 stroke 70cc yamaha as a passenger. My friend lost control and we fell. I wore shorts and the bike fell on top of me, and my inner right knee lay right on top of the exhaust. Today I still have a burn mark from that day on my right knee. Afterward, I never wear shorts when riding a motorcycle and always wear helmet cause it's mandatory here since 82 or 83.

Years later, I bought a sportster. When commuting I wore a Draggin jeans jacket, cruiser boots, gloves and half helmet  or an open face helmet. When I did long ride on weekends, I left the half helmet home and wore a dainese full face helmet. Then, years later I had an accident which torn my jeans, scuffed my boots, bruised my knees and gave the knees some road rash. Not a serious  injury but took about two weeks to heal. I didn't get a knee protector right away. It was after another accident on the way to the office, a slow speed fall, where I bruised my knees again that I finally bought knee protectors.  

Then I bought my Monster and joined this forum and learned about impact protection. So I bought jackets with impact protectors for the elbows and shoulders. I added a back protector later on, after a jerk on a bike almost hit me from behind, missed me by inches he still brushed my left hand though.

Then about two weeks ago I had an accident. This time I got some nice bruises on my left hip and upper thigh. Well, it's time time to protect the hips area I told myself. So I went to a dainese and alpinestars store here lookin for riding pants with hip protector. Unfortunately none sell riding pants with real hips protector, only pants with foam for the hips area, and they don't sell replacement protector either. So I decided to just buy from my favorite brand, Forcefield. I bought their action shorts and I think I'm going to wear it when ever I ride.

Well, that's my really long and slow process in learning about and understand the importance of wearing a proper riding gear.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:59:24 PM by bob795 » Logged

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
Steve.In.Atlanta

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

My friend just got home from the hospital in Knoxville this evening. They closed his foot and everything is doing what it's supposed to so he was released.

2005 Monster S4R
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »

at the current speeds in the area i ride, no chance for any sliding that would tear through a normal pair of jeans.

i consistently tear through jeans falling up and down stairs... sitting on my couch.... sliding on the floor of my garage working on the bikes....
not sure what your jeans are made of, but you may be overestimating them.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: