Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 01:23:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been a while, thinking about selling my pride & joy...  (Read 1328 times)
eesnas

« on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:19 AM »

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted. Suffice it to say I moved halfway across the country for a job I enjoy and have been busy with work and grad school for the past 3 years. Things are good but I haven't had much time to ride, and my interests have changed a bit. Finished my MA over the summer and I'm starting up my MBA, employer helps with grad school so it makes sense to keep going while I've got momentum. With that said, I don't see myself getting out on the bike anytime soon, not to mention the cagers drive like animals out here to the point it makes me rather uncomfortable.

For over two years I have wrestled with the idea of selling my Duc, my wife even talked me out of it last year (she's the best), but it's finally to the point I think someone else can enjoy it more than me. This is a bit sad because I put a lot of work into it, and I truly think it is beautiful, but if I'm not riding it then it's hard to justify holding onto it. I should mention that I live in an apartment in the middle of a shopping district, and the parking situation alone might be partly to blame for the neglect. I have the bike in my building's garage in front of my car and under a cover, to get it out I need to back my car out or wait until my neighbors aren't home, to say the least it's a pain in the ass but it's my only option for indoor parking. If I lived in the suburbs and had a garage I'm sure the bike would have a lot of miles on it, but I'm happy in the city and allergic to suburbs.

Okay, I've digressed a bit but wanted to check in with some reasonable context to explain my decision. Without further ado, anyone know what I should price it at?

2004 Monster 620ie 6,200mi

List of mods:
Sil Moto low mount megaphone exhaust
Chopped tail (puchased like this from prior owner)
Nichols Aluminum flywheel
Motivation frame sliders
Rizoma LEDs front and rear (track 01 in front, Zeros in rear)
Clear LED taillight
chopped airbox w/ K&N filter
14t Front Sprocket
tuned ECU
Michelin Pilot Powers
Bar end mirrors
Speedy Moto top triple
Speedy Moto belt covers
Speedy Moto front sprocket cover
Moto Detail oil cap temp guage
Added an OEM oil cooler
Pazzo adjustable levers
Woodcraft clip-ons
Hyperpro side mount damper
Dual headlights
Lowered gauges
Removed side plastics and re-routed wiring (still have plastics in storage)
Custom paint, matrix green with 80's font gold color matched text to gas cap

Timing belts were changed at 3k
Valve adjustment done at 6k
Brakes were done around 5k
New battery last year
Title in hand
Red key with card unused in hand

I'm not under any pressure to sell it, just one of those things where if someone put cash in my face I'd probably agree. I was thinking about stripping off some of the bolt-on mods but I don't want to nickel and dime this thing. Not to sound flakey but I might take it out tomorrow night and change my mind, but this feels different than all the other times. This has been on my mind for quite a while and it's the first time I'm seriously considering putting it on the market. Worst case scenario if nobody buys it I'll just continue riding 3 blocks to the coffee shop twice a year!  
laughingdp Dolph Vino!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:20:43 AM by eesnas » Logged

joshuajcrouch

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »

Beautiful bike man...  Not sure how much its worth.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »

Nice looking bike!  When I modded the heck out of my monster I kept every single stock piece so that I could put them back on prior to sale if I ever decided to sell it again.  Then I would sell the aftermarket parts at half of retail and recover some of those losses.

It has been my experience that 80% of the time you never recover any of the money spent of mods.  That being said look on Craigs List and see what a 620 is selling for in you area.  Then try to find a good buyer and ask a little extra due to the parts you added.

Good luck either way, you are still young enough to have many bikes in your future and following Grad school they will probably only get nicer  waytogo

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Steve.In.Atlanta

Rider in downtown Atlanta

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »

It has been my experience that 80% of the time you never recover any of the money spent of mods.

Unfortunately, that's the truth of it. The Kelly Blue Book value of your bike is around $3500. The way it is now, that would be a pretty east sell with most of your mods on there if not for a little more if you have a buyer who knows what they're getting. http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/ducati/m620ie-monster-620/2004-ducati-m620ie-monster-620/suggestedretailvalue/

Good luck, it is a pretty looking bike.

2005 Monster S4R
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk3 (project bike)
2001 Monster 900S (stolen)
eesnas

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »

Wow, that almost seems like it's not worth the money (for me). I might price it at $4,500 and see what happens. Removing a few parts might not be a bad idea as I know the side mount damper and a few of the other bolt-on parts won't even be noticed by buyers.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:09 PM »

It really is a nice looking bike  waytogo

...you are still young enough to have many bikes in your future and following Grad school they will probably only get nicer  waytogo
This is true  waytogo.

But.

I regret parting with every bike I ever sold.

Unless you really need the money..... unless you really need the storage space...   Undecided 

Keep it.

Sorry.  I'm not helping I know.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »

I thought about selling mine once. Then I figured it was really worth anything in the real world. Why would anyone give me $3500-4500 for an '03 620 with 37,000 miles. I figured I didn't need $1500-2000 that bad and just kept it. It owes me nothing and still puts a smile on my face.

2003 620 Half Dark/ Half Silver 35,000 happy miles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: