Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:33:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Closed Loop ECU mods  (Read 327153 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »

then i definitely have the older version. I just got home right now, and i wanna get some hw done so i can work on the bike.

Also, i found out RapidbikeUSA  is in queens lol. freaking CLOSE.

edit: i found out why my bike had a huge dip. the fuel map has a dip at that point for some reason. of a possible 30 points in fuel increase, the "stock" maps' max value is only a 4 point bump. I changed maps to a more generous map. 15point bumps and much smoother. Will test out the ride tomorrow!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:21:51 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »

Update, the rb3 is acting funny.

It is super smooth hroughout the rpm range when riding smoothly. However, when I cruise at 3800rpm and gun it, my bike just hits aflatspot and my bike feels like I droped an anchor until 5000rpm.

I'm thinking the 02 sensor may be at fault since it supposely cuts off at 4400rpm.

I'm gonna disconnect it and see how it runs. In theory it should be much better since 06 bikes run fine withut them

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »

Update, the rb3 is acting funny.I'm thinking the 02 sensor may be at fault since it supposely cuts off at 4400rpm.
I'm gonna disconnect it and see how it runs. In theory it should be much better since 06 bikes run fine withut them

Talk to Foster about getting your O2 sensor replaced with the 2008 model.  They should, IMO, replace it gratis since RB3 acknowledges the '07 version is buggy.

Disconnecting it could work, but then you are left with the Check Engine light on at all times.  Also, if you disconnect, make sure you doa complete power drain and ride it for 80~100 miles before making a judgement.  It takes time for the stock ECU to give up the ghost and go into open loop mode permanently.

keep me posted on your discovery!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2008, 02:44:37 PM »

2006 S2R1k wont turn on the check engine light (ive ridden for about 1,000 miles with the o2 sensor unplugged)

some people say doing that will kill your o2 sensor. but the momment i plugged it back in, cleared my ECU the bike pulled much harder than did before.

I will see how my bike runs with the o2 sensor later tonight. THere are too many vehicles on the road right now.

Thanks for the heads up on the O2 emulator replacement I will probably swing by Rapidbike USA on tuesday and try to get a replacement. I wouldd LOVE to get my bike dynoed, but i wanan get my exahust and intake setup before i get a final map.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »

Update:

The RB3 unit itself wont hold the map for cylinder 1. Atleast thats what it seems like. I might not be doing it right.

The RB3 unit can accept a map, run the bike with that map, but not save it pernamently. once you shut the bike of, the map dissapears. These temp maps are stored in the RAM. The maps you want to keep are sent to the flash eeprom.

So you can send map, but not save to flash, and when you try to start the bike, it is still running its previous map.

Also, since there is a map for each cylinder, you have to make sure you send all maps. I tried it a billion different ways, but it seems like the RB3 unit wont save the timing map, and the cylinder 1 map. only cylinder 2 map will save. after toying around with it, i decided to remove the RBo2 emulator. I connected the regular o2 sensor up and it still did the same thing. I unplugged the o2 sensor and tried again. It saved the map! but im not sure if it will stay in the RB unit.

I also managed to get of my ass after collecting parts for the past 2 weeks, and installed a relay onto my heater grips! bravo to me!

im not gonna start the bike up since its midnight right now and i dont wanna wake up anyone. Tomorrow i will go for a ride and see how the bike runs and update this again.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »

Another update:

Did the some research. Flat spots are dips in power resulting from too little fuel or too much fuel. I HIGHLY doubt it was too much fuel so i decded to just pour fuel into that area of the map. I bumped the surrounding areas and the speciifc TPS value of 20% where my problem occured. and voila! gone. I backed the fuel points down until the problem occured again, and bumped it back up by 3 points. and smoothened the area out. I must say the bike has gotten MUCH better.

With the RB3 my front wheel actually comes off the ground a tee bit in 2nd gear thorugh power itself. Before it would throw me in the back of my seat and thats it. Result of smoother power? or more power? ill leave that up to you guys to figure it out. I will be going for a dyno tune once i get my whole bike figured out intake and exhaust wise.

the bike is pulling much much harder throughout the whole rev range now, thugh i still have a bit of a flat spot (not that bad) at 6500rpms. I will go through the same process as the 4500rpm flat spot and smoothen that area out as well.

I also reinstalled my RB02 emulator. the RB software allows you to regulate the voltage output (much like the $80 fatduc O2 modulator) It varies somethin like .100V to .400V or something like that (not hooked up to the comp so i cant access that data right now)

Im not sure what to put it at. My stock value was .230Volts and i have it set at .190Volts figuring its better low than high.  Not sure if thats a  good thing or a bad thing? Any idea?

Also, no check engine light with the O2 sensor unplugged. since its an 06. Not sure why the other guy with an 06 has the light on. I have heard from everyone who i have spoke to who own 07's  the check engine light comes on for theirs, and the 06 guys says it doesnt.  Huh? might of been a factory ECU mixup.

Also it turns out the memory issue was just me being incompetent at reading english. the instructions say something like

"for pernament use, use all flash memory" or something like that. It even had a diagram! laughingdp

I need to learn italian!
Other updates of today
Heat grips work flawlessly! High is extremely hot!
My horn died today due to my use of non weather proof wiring, i need to get some heat shrink! It was evident when a car tried to side swipe and i reached for the horn. no horn = AHHH! felt naked out there.
Also my right light *monster part duals* went out. need to get a new bulb. I have 1 year warranty with the HID guy i bought it from and sent it out today....seriously tryiing to keep my monster running really puts a drain on you!

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:19 AM »

Also it turns out the memory issue was just me being incompetent at reading english. the instructions say something like
"for pernament use, use all flash memory" or something like that. It even had a diagram! laughingdp

That's really interesting because that was one major point of contention between distributors who says RB3 doesn't work and ones who says it works fine.  Would you keep use posted on your experience with Foster?  That is another point of contention on availability of his support. Thx!

I also reinstalled my RB02 emulator. the RB software allows you to regulate the voltage output (much like the $80 fatduc O2 modulator) It varies somethin like .100V to .400V or something like that (not hooked up to the comp so i cant access that data right now)
Im not sure what to put it at. My stock value was .230Volts and i have it set at .190Volts figuring its better low than high.  Not sure if thats a  good thing or a bad thing? Any idea?

It shouldn't matter if the RB3 is doing what it is suppose to do which is intercept and modify the signal between the stock ECU and the spark plugs.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2008, 08:08:29 AM »

I see your point, but then why does the kit recommend the install of an RB02 emu(other than money)? The RBo2 emu has no connection to the RB unit what soever. It just plugs inline with the stock O2 sensor.

HOWEVER, the RB3 software (when connected to the RB unit) detetchs the RB02 emu and you can tweak the RB02 emu. You get what im trying ot say? (cause i dont really think i even understand myself at this point lol)

So, to sum it up. What the hell is the point of the RB02 emu if all the RB3 does, is modify the fuel signals like a PCIII? Ive tried running with it and without it, there is no difference. Ive tried running without the o2 completely and with the O2 plugged, there is a difference. though i have not ridden the bike with either settings long enough to justify myself. It may just be all in the old noggin.

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »

So, to sum it up. What the hell is the point of the RB02 emu if all the RB3 does, is modify the fuel signals like a PCIII? Ive tried running with it and without it, there is no difference. Ive tried running without the o2 completely and with the O2 plugged, there is a difference. though i have not ridden the bike with either settings long enough to justify myself.

The RBO2 emulator is suppose to do 2 things (one of which does not apply to you):
(1) Lock the stock ECU into a fake open mode by feeding it a constant, but oscillating signal
(2) Prevent the check engine light from coming on if&when the stock O2 sensor is disconnected.

Without the O2 locking the stock ECU in the "closed" loop part, the ECU will kepp fighting and overwriting the RB3 and defaulting to the stock map with or without the RB3.  This is what happens with PCIII and why the temporary fix from RB Italy (when they discovered the problem with the '07 O2 emulator) was to zero out the values in the low end of the map...just like PCIII now recommends on their website.

Good luck!  I'm NYC too so if you want to meet up and bang heads together...let me know.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »

banging heads hurt though.... Huh? Grin

Well i rode today, and i dont know wtf was going on. I warmed the negine up to 200F and the damn flat spot came back!!! it is only evident in the 20% +TPS range.

I am wondering if the bike lost its map again? I emailed RBUSA about the situation and i haven't gotten a msg back from him. I will try calling him up tomorrow or swinging by there tomorrow morning. I think i might just remove the unit until i get my exhaust system. The download is so silky smooth. :/ i dont wanna take it of! but the flat spot is in the range i use the bike the most.

We should defintely meet up, if i can figure out whats wrong with the RB unit (if its the issue of a map) maybe youd like to try it on your system see if it works. you have an S4Rs right?

Im not gonna get home till 1030 tonight so i wont be able to check the map till then. I really hope its not a memory lost. If it is, its comming of tonight and im gonna go to RBUSA tomorrow.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »

1AM update!  Roll Eyes

Bike did not loose its map. When i tested it, the bike was only marginally warm. 150F to 180F (48degrees outside) so it was quite cold.
 Ran the bike pretty hard in the 200F range over the manahttan bridge. insane amount of flat spots. about 3-4 of them at the same 4400rpm range at 50%+ TPS.

So what am i suspecting now? the Timing map. I loaded up a Multinoodle map DS1000, with a very generous amount of fuel in the range where i have issues with no timing map at all. Its too late to test the bike and its too cold to run it hard. so it will have to wait until tomorrow. as it stands. the fuel max is 24points, where my previous map was ~15 points. The max allowed is 30points.

I checked out the other maps and i find it intresting how they come up with half of them. the 695 map for a stock bike where max fuel points are 5, and low is a -2. lol it actually takes away fuel!

on a 1098 Race map, the map is so up and down, at one point its +5, then its -4, then its +10, then -8. How the hell do those bikes run like that?

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

yet another frustrating update.

RB3 SUCKS. That hiccup is still there. Im begining to think its the unit.

Last test, im gonna zero all the maps so the RB3 does nothing. if it still the same, im gonna try to get a new one. I have not been able to get a response from RBUSA.....

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »

yet another frustrating update.
RB3 SUCKS. That hiccup is still there. Im begining to think its the unit.
Last test, im gonna zero all the maps so the RB3 does nothing. if it still the same, im gonna try to get a new one. I have not been able to get a response from RBUSA.....

He Man, give Nick at Rockwell a call is you cannot reach RBUSA.  He fixed up another DMFer's S4R with RB3.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »

He Man, give Nick at Rockwell a call is you cannot reach RBUSA.  He fixed up another DMFer's S4R with RB3.

Im gonna go to RBUSA first, the dude who sold it to me said he is hard to get a hold of sometimes, and he'll try for me first. Hes also digging up the receipt for it, so i can use it in case i need to warranty the thing. I loaded up the zero map and will try it tomorrow morning (6am open traffic woohoo!!) Im really pissed of. I havent gunned my bike in over a week now (im also seeing 40mpg city where i usually see 33mpg LOL this is a fuel saving device!) its driving me nuts. If the zero map STILL has the flat spot, im gonna try for a replacement. if its just my bike then ill hold on to it until i can dyno tune it.

im gonna try steve and jay at ECS before i try rockwell, after the way they treated me when i got my forks done, all my needs go to them first.

moto4us.com

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »

I feel sorry for you, but why you didn't read my posts before buying RB? I wrote about all the problems with modules losing memory and support/warranty from Dimsport (I don't even want to talk about foster, they are out of business in my opinion...technoresearch in same boat, but at least they ran away from RB and cleaning his inventory).
BTW you don't need RBO2 for '06 and you can try to reload the project (if you have pro software)...that's what worked in few bikes. For ex I have my race gsxr750 and I cannot keep maps longer then one deals gap ride (I have also switch maps and I end up with some weird maps, anyway nothing close to what I loaded).
I'll update my thread about "the end of RB in US"...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: