Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 11, 2024, 09:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: throttle sticky- won't snap closed.  (Read 2149 times)
meano_lover

« on: July 08, 2008, 06:52:36 AM »

hi all-
i have a 97 m900 and i just installed stage 2 jet kit in the carbs, with k&n filter pods. i have remus carbon canisters to round it out. it runs great, i get it all running and synched last night. my question is, when i put everything together, the throttle seems to be sticky. it won't close all the way by itself. i played with the adjustments for the throttle cables, but to no avail. when not installed on the bike, the carbs snap closed very freely. and the throttle cables are all lubed up and not sticking, so i believe it's somehow binding. is there anyone out there with any tips or suggestions that might be able to help me out? thanks in advance.

'97 m900; stage 2 carbs, filter pods, remus carbon exhaust
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »

Could be gummy between the throttle tube and the bar, or gummy inside the throttle assembly.

Cable routing could be forcing a tight bend.

Grip could be dragging on the throttle assembly or the bar-end.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
rockaduc

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »

Could be gummy between the throttle tube and the bar, or gummy inside the throttle assembly.

Cable routing could be forcing a tight bend.

Grip could be dragging on the throttle assembly or the bar-end.

I had that happen to me.  Pretty scary until you figure out what is going on.  A simple adjustment on the bar-end did the trick.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
davejenknz

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »

I had that happen to me.  Pretty scary until you figure out what is going on.  A simple adjustment on the bar-end did the trick.

+1
Howley

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »

+2
brad black

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:22:32 AM »

try putting as much freeplay into the closing cable as you can.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
meano_lover

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »

try putting as much freeplay into the closing cable as you can.

i'll try that tonight. i think i tried to get the cables as slack-free as i could, maybe that's my problem.

no gum in the throttle, cables freely moving, not binding, throttle plates move freely when the cables aren't attached. and i have no bar end on that side.
thanks for the suggestins though.

rsoffar

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:08 AM »

im having the same issue.. let me know if you figure out what the prob is.

i have taken it apart adjusted greased lubed

when its all apart everything seems like it should be working properly but when it all gets put together the problem persist  bang head

'00 M900s
meano_lover

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »

it seems it's decently common then. m9hundo is haveing the same prob.  Huh? i hope i can get it figured out soon, it's annoying.

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »

i'll try that tonight. i think i tried to get the cables as slack-free as i could, maybe that's my problem.

no gum in the throttle, cables freely moving, not binding, throttle plates move freely when the cables aren't attached. and i have no bar end on that side.
thanks for the suggestins though.

Had it happen also, because I forgot the plastic washer between the throttle housing and grip.

1.YOu say it snaps without cables
2. Check to make sure, that cables disconnected from carbs, that they pull in and out freely ( I think this is what you meant by not gumming?)
 I would still use the grip/throttle assy to move cables to help locate issue.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
meano_lover

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »

yes, when the throttle cables are disconnected from the carbs, they both move freely. (i even tri-flowed them to make sure). and when the throttle cables are off the carbs, the carbs move freely as well. no binding. but only when i attach the cables to the carbs is when it binds up. i know one is pushing, and one is pulling, could it be that i just have them not calibrated correctly? or not have them adjusted right? grrr, frustrating.  bang head

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »

You could try to hook up only the pull (throttle on) cable to see if it still binds, the spring should be strong enough to close it. If it works fine attach the return cable, and make final adjustments. Hopefully it is a return cable to tight in its adjustments.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
meano_lover

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »

printman- you nailed it right on the head. the return cable was just too damn tight. i took it off completely, tried it with just the pulling cable, and it worked great. re-attached the return cable with a different adjustment, and everything is perfect now. thanks for the help!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: