Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:25:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signal for "Slow your ass down, there is a heard of deer over the next hill!!!"?  (Read 7963 times)
Bick
Post Whore

« on: July 09, 2008, 05:37:09 AM »

I'm tooling down one of the rural roads one my way in to work this morning and see a large heard of deer starting to cross the road from the left -  Right at the base of a small hill.

As I approach, they back off the road, and wait for me to pass.

As a crest the hill, I see an R bike coming on at a good clip - I'm guessing @ 80?

I give him the "slow down" and he politely returns the wave. 

Not even seconds later, I hear that "dreaded sound".  I turn around to find that he had layed it down, taking out a buck.

Fortunatly the kid was well geared - helmet, jacket, Draggin Jeans, and aside from being a little shaken up, is ok.  Bike is trashed.

So what is the recognized sign for "Slow your ass down, there is a heard of deer over the next hill!!!"?

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
meano_lover

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:31:58 AM »

act like you're patting a dog's head with your left hand under the bar? it's a good general slow down signal.

'97 m900; stage 2 carbs, filter pods, remus carbon exhaust
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:54 AM »

act like you're patting a dog's head with your left hand under the bar? it's a good general slow down signal.

dunno about petting dogs. But I raise and lower my hand as a motion to slow down.

OR

make like horns on your helmet w/ both hands and replicate the sound of a buck while lunatically kicking your legs.

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
trenner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »

Tap the top of your head, indicating  Police.  That'd slow him down, though for the wrong reason.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »

Tap the top of your head, indicating  Police.  That'd slow him down, though for the wrong reason.
+1.  Works better than the hand waving up and down.
Ducatiloo

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:49 AM »

dunno about petting dogs. But I raise and lower my hand as a motion to slow down.

OR

make like horns on your helmet w/ both hands and replicate the sound of a buck while lunatically kicking your legs.

Q

laughingdp
Can't wait to try this.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
rsoffar

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

OR

Q

this one gave me a good laugh  waytogo

'00 M900s
Desmostro

alis volat propriis

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Ya the patting the dog thing is pretty casual.

If there is an emergency like a freaking DEER in the road, I would mirror the need to slow down with the energy with which I was signaling.
If someone is about to hit something, I’d wave pretty frantically with both arms or something.

If you’re riding, one arm and one leg as dramatically as is safe.  The Leg out shaken is the common - "SOMETHING IN THE ROAD" signal.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Hands across the chest and then out giving the NO GO NO GO. or the hands across the neck as in  cut it out cut it out or just a LOUD wap of the horn and waviing frantically so he thinks ur in trouble and will slow down?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »

The universal sign for trouble at the track is frantically waving your left hand up and down as high as possible.  Some say just to put up your hand, but if it's the difference between looking cool and getting @$$packed, I'll look like a flaming retard all day long. 

The universal street sign for a cop is a tap on the top of the lid.  Do something of both and they'll get the hint that there's something waiting for them.

Good on you for going back to help the dude.  [moto]

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »

I'd flip them the bird and pull over hopefully to instigate a fight... then tell them in person that there is a deer just over there.
StrikeJollyRoger

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »

Tap the top of your head, indicating  Police

Heyyy, good to know.  That and the shaken leg to indicate something in the road.  Any other cool signals new riders should be aware of?  For instance, what's the signal for "Where's the closest `gentleman's` club?
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »

Pull out a bunch of $1sies.

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

The only motion that I believe is universally understood as "slow down" is moving your left hand up and down rapidly at a position below the level of your handlebars.  Someone did that for me many years ago to warn of a radar cop ahead and it was obvious to me what it meant, even though I didn't know any motorcycle hand signals at the time.

Many of the other suggestions given here so far are as likely to confuse the rider as they are to warn him to slow down.  As he's going over the hill trying to figure out what that strange signal meant, after he hits the herd of deer, he might have a sudden insight and figure it out.  Roll Eyes

Here are a couple of different images hinting at the correct slow down signal:

Like this:

Almost as good:

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 09:24:33 PM »

When I lived in Estes Park Colorado (read elk frickin everywhere) it was really common to see a car flashing its lights as a sign a herd of elk where blocking the road. 

Maybe a little high-beam, low-beam action combined with the

Should get the point across

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: