Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting lanes freeway.. during slow traffic/Jams  (Read 15542 times)
kendallb

Monster 620

« on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »

Hello all,

i was out on the freeway and the traffic was gridlocked as usual..maybe 5-10 + mph (405 freeway california, worst freeway on earth.. but thats another topic)

Here in california its legal to split lanes, so the cyclists here take full advantage.

For me at least splitting lanes going 20, 30 + miles an hour while cars are going under 15, changing lanes, stop n go etc. is an extremely harrowing experience..

My opinion of it is that, basically, you've gotta be on your game..

So i wonder what are some of your habits to be more cautious and safe??

i tend to revv a lot more, as well as use my high beams(is that a jerk move?)..even still i find i dont blink at all while doing this! Smiley
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »

Also.. if i can find a giant harley with huge pipes or a bike cop to follow = win
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »

In my 2 years living in Chile, this was almost a daily exercise of paranoia. I always tried to stay to the left of the fast lane to avoid someone from trying to switch lanes. I also limited my lane splitting to when there was real gridlock, i.e. cars going around 10 mph.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
justin123560

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »

I usually go 40 mph when I split on the 405 between LAX and Brentwood every morning. Its always dead stop traffic there. When I split, I have the mentality that someone will ALWAYS cross the double yellow and I scan ahead and anticipate that happening. Hands resting on the clutch and brakes. I've always had luck following the CHP bike or following all the loud as hell Honda Yamaha and Suzuki bikes. Also don't speed up when another biker is behind you just let them pass. I always put my high beams on.
spolic

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

Don't do this:

It's not a crash

He man, where are all the ads?
justin123560

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »

^^ how do you even....... Shots
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »

If i can get to the double yellow to the right of the carpool lane i always feel a little better, but even then when it ends (to allow merging) i've had a couple close calls.

I always try and keep it no more than 15 miles above the current traffic flow, and if someones behind i gladly let them pass and follow!

Thankfully i havent taken off anyones sideview mirror yet  chug ..
thorn14

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »

Remember that when you change your clipons from below the triple to above you come back into contact with car mirrors and no longer fit into every small space you used to.  bang head

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »

15 years I rode full time in SoCal.  Had a car I rarely used, mostly due to traffic congestion.  I have always called lane splitting "Steel Pinball".

These are my simple rules for living through it.

1. No need to go too quickly as the math on speeding only works out on long trips.

2. If there is a spot half a car can fit into, assume they will try but only if it seems like the lane they want to move into is going faster.

3. Watch for the "attitude" of the drivers ahead of you. The lane constant changers are a threat so are the distracted drivers. 

4. Watch the heads and shoulders of the drivers you are approaching, helps you spot the idiots above.

5. Once a year you will run into someone that tries to scare you on purpose.  It's okay to kill them.

6. A lot of people that are stuck in their cars and commuting hate you.  Watch out for them intentionally shutting down the gap you are riding.  If they are staring in their rear view mirror while they do it please reference item number 5.

7. Last but not least ignore rule five because you will go to jail or be killed.  Don't kick mirrors or throw crap at people as it never changes their behavior and only makes them deadlier to the next guy/gal on a bike.

Good luck and be careful.   waytogo

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

This ^^   waytogo
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Even when im in a car, there have been plenty of times i look right/left to merge, see an opening, turn signal, prepare to move, and all of the sudden... ZOOOOOM goes a motorcyclist!!

! think of this often while driving  Undecided especially because, on different day i'm that motorcyclist!!

and never having known, it could've gone "bad" in a blink of an eye.

.. and of course there are plenty of drivers who dont think to look when merging.. they just see an opening and go. I've been guilty of the same  bang head
justin123560

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »

I recall splitting lanes down the 405 and a pick up truck in the carpool lane pulled out and stopped in the middle of the double yellow. To avoid a head on collision I quickly turned right and ended up splitting between an 18 wheeler and a uhaul truck. Both were bad situations.

Double yellows have no meaning.
sgollapalle

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

I've personally only split lanes when the traffic is stopped/under 10mph and I would do 15/20 max (just to get air moving thru the engine and not burn my b****). It wasn't worth the risk.

Things to note:
The newer cars are pretty damn well insulated for noise, the person inside can't hear your bike. Even if you are on a harley (the primary sound waves are travelling in the wrong direction). And it is highly likely, there is music blasting off the persons 1000W audio system!

The people stuck in traffic generally are not expecting someone to be passing them at 2 or 3 times their speed when they are barely moving. (It might be a different situation in CA where it is an everyday thing)

Not everyone driving on 405 is from there. They might have never seen stopped traffic on the interstate!
I've swerved all over the place wondering why cars are moving at 2 mph on a highway with a 75 mph speed limit  bang head

'11 M-696
red baron

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Don't do this:

It's not a crash

WTF did I just see? Shocked

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
sashag

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 03:15:31 AM »

15 years I rode full time in SoCal.  Had a car I rarely used, mostly due to traffic congestion.  I have always called lane splitting "Steel Pinball".

These are my simple rules for living through it.

1. No need to go too quickly as the math on speeding only works out on long trips.

2. If there is a spot half a car can fit into, assume they will try but only if it seems like the lane they want to move into is going faster.

3. Watch for the "attitude" of the drivers ahead of you. The lane constant changers are a threat so are the distracted drivers. 

4. Watch the heads and shoulders of the drivers you are approaching, helps you spot the idiots above.

5. Once a year you will run into someone that tries to scare you on purpose.  It's okay to kill them.

6. A lot of people that are stuck in their cars and commuting hate you.  Watch out for them intentionally shutting down the gap you are riding.  If they are staring in their rear view mirror while they do it please reference item number 5.

7. Last but not least ignore rule five because you will go to jail or be killed.  Don't kick mirrors or throw crap at people as it never changes their behavior and only makes them deadlier to the next guy/gal on a bike.

Good luck and be careful.   waytogo

totally agree with all the points. definitely watch out for the rule number 2. seems to be happening all the time in my experience. especially if you have van or truck in front, they seem to keep gap before them that you might not see, but the driver on the different lane will and will try to move into. They usually so happy to find the gap they forget to look at the mirror :-) Also don't forget blind spot, despite that you next to the car, some people fail to see you. if you have to slow down as the gap in front too narrow , try to stay in the "mirror"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: