Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:58:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overfilling oil - how bad?  (Read 3821 times)
heatherp

« on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »

Need the benefit of the Ozmonsters wisdom as I'm not sure how much of an issue this is.

Picked up my bike today from the workshop where he has been patiently waiting for a master cylinder.

When I got him home I put him on the centre stand and checked the oil (gut instinct or something) and found the sight glass completely full of oil. The bike was pretty hot 126 oC (it is Perth and lots of traffic lights) so I left it for an hour and checked again.  Still overfull.  I had to go out again so I got a syringe and took out 200mls of oil to get it to the max line (oil sensor temp was still 92 oC) 

The bike was serviced at the same workshop in February.  The bike hasn't been ridden since then due to the master cylinder issue and the fact that I've been unfaithful and riding a BMW around Patagonia.

So I estimate that I've travelled about 70 kms back and forth to the workshop with the oil overfull.

Is it likely that any damage would have occurred?  Thoughts.

I will be having words with the workshop owner.  And maybe finding someone else to service my bike.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »

I don't live in OZ but I had a conversation about this last week with a duc mechanic.  He said the level on the side is meant to be checked when on side stand, not center stand.  My bike is at, even past, the max level on a rear stand, but just above the low mark when on a side stand.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
heatherp

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:53 AM »

I don't live in OZ but I had a conversation about this last week with a duc mechanic.  He said the level on the side is meant to be checked when on side stand, not center stand.  My bike is at, even past, the max level on a rear stand, but just above the low mark when on a side stand.

Really?? That's the first I've heard of that.  Brad Black if you're reading this, what do you think?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

Dunno what that Duc mechanic was thinking.

The owner's manual specifies engine warm and bike upright, oil level between the lines.

I usually do this on my lift, as the bike is upright and on it's wheels (like magic).

It can also be done solo, with the bike on level ground.
Kickstand down, go to the right side of the bike, right hand on end of right grip, also squeezing front brake a bit.
Crouch, with left hand grasping trellis frame near the sidecover.
Gently pull the bike toward you, and you can feel where it balances upright.
Then peep the sight glass.

It may sound a bit awkward, and feel sketchy at first, so do it a couple times with a spotter to get the hang of it.
It may not be possible for everyone to do, I'm 6'1" and 180 lb.
If you're 5' & 100 lb perhaps a big ask.

Checking the oil level with the bike on centerstand or paddock stand will give slightly different results than the above, due to the bike not being level.
Check the level as described above, then put it on your chosen stand in a regular spot where it's convenient.
Then check it, and keep that as your standard 'level'.

I wouldn't be concerned about 200ml over the max line.

If you still have all of the original oil breather system, check inside the airbox for oil, as it can burp some out.
Then it'll go out the airbox drain, leaving an oil spot, tricking you into looking for a genuine oil leak.

If it's overfull, the oil can get frothed around by the crank and gearbox, sapping a bit of power and heating up the oil.
Generally nonproductive.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »

Dunno what that Duc mechanic was thinking.

Neither do I, so thanks for correcting that.  Crap, now I need to find a new mechanic.    bang head
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:42:22 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
heatherp

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »

Thanks Speeddog. 

Exactly what my manual says too.  I have always checked it on the centre stand as I am the 100 pound person you describe  laughingdp

My last mechanic (Brad) regularly put my bike on the centre stand to work on it too.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »

I get *very* few Ducs in with sidestands, and only recently got one for my M750 commuter/tourer.
And I don't use them on the lift as it's very difficult to do with the front wheel locked down by the wheel clamp.

I've got a 900SS on the lift, and I checked the oil level with both the rear wheel on the ground, and lifted ~3" with a paddock stand.

Oil level read maybe 1mm higher on the stand.

Not a difference big enough to be concerned with.

Confirm the same (or not) on your bike just to be safe.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
heatherp

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »

waytogo  Did that earlier this morning.  No discernible difference in oil level between centre stand and sitting level on both wheels.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »

I get *very* few Ducs in with sidestands, and only recently got one for my M750 commuter/tourer.
Huh?  Do the Ducs you get in the shop have rear stands?  Is that an aftermarket thing?

(Also, sorry Heatherp for threadjacking after I already gave bad oil level info.  But I swear, that mechanic convinced me I was doing it all wrong.) Embarrassed

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

F'n hell, I can't type or proofread today, apparently.  Angry

I meant:

I get *very* few Ducs in with centerstands, and only recently got one for my M750 commuter/tourer.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

heatherp

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »

F'n hell, I can't type or proofread today, apparently.  Angry

I meant:

I get *very* few Ducs in with centerstands, and only recently got one for my M750 commuter/tourer.

I was thinking you must have a collection of old bevels all with centrestands  laughingdp

I fitted the centre stand to my Monster - it didn't come with it.

(Also, sorry Heatherp for threadjacking after I already gave bad oil level info.  But I swear, that mechanic convinced me I was doing it all wrong.) Embarrassed

Threadjack away - It's all in the interests of sharing Monster/Ducati information.
loony888

"I WAS GOING HOW FAST, OFFICER?"

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 03:44:05 AM »

Years ago a VERY reputable mechanic who has never steered me wrong told me that putting 4L in instead of the 3.6L or whatever isn't an issue, it's a wet sump bike that bathes the gearbox in oil and has more than enough crankcase ventilation as a road bike. the added oil will help keep an air/oil cooled engine running cooler, more oil is cooled, more oil to dissipate heat, cooler running bike, as well as limiting potential starvation issues when you hoike a monster 4 gear wheelie!

And i always check my oil with the bike upright, usually stone cold as i check it before i ride, like my tyre pressure and as long as it's near the full line i'm happy, but as a rule, my bikes oil level is at the very top of the window.

HERE AND NOW                      12 DIAVEL AMG
                                              93 888 RS
                                              09 1098R BAYLISS
                                              07 Husqvarna TE 450

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN        03 S4R       95 900SL
                                              01 S4         93 900M
                                              96 748SP
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 03:28:53 AM »

Threadjack away....
Invitation accepted  Grin

When are you gonna post up some pics of your Argentina trip, hmmm??  Me wanna see 'em  Grin

popcorn

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 03:55:37 AM »

Invitation accepted  Grin

When are you gonna post up some pics of your Argentina trip, hmmm??  We wanna see 'em  Grin

popcorn

Fixeded.

Believe post content at your own risk.
heatherp

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »

He he

I didn't take many.  Can you believe it.  I was too busy riding.  But here is the link to the FB album I made.  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152234567084861.1073741836.840149860&type=1&l=18c8bf11f6

And I have only put the first half of the trip here.  I'm still in withdrawl and too heartbroken to put the second half up. I had such a good time.

There are lots more coming from other people that had GoPros.  A GoPro is on my birthday list this year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: