Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:00:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sumfink wrong  (Read 4685 times)
Sabre Brian

« on: April 24, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »

I hadn't ridden my 08 S4RS for about a month.  Went to hop on the other day and the battery was flat.
Tried to get it going with a jump battery.  It started, but then as I was driving out the driveway, it stalled.
Bit the bullet and bought a new battery, but now the bike wont turn over.  It is like there is not enough
power to crank it.  It's like it is trying to turn the motor but nothing there.  There are tons of volts in the
battery.  Could it be the starter motor or something?  Would like to know if there is a simple thing I am
missing before I run off to the expensive bloody mechanics.

Thanks in advance.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:46 PM »

I'd check for corroded connections on battery, starter, earth wires to the frame, starter switch, any ECU earth wires, fuses, etc. Some people have tested by bypassing straight to the starter with a battery (+ on + earth to starter case).
If there is a computer problem you will need help, but check out the other stuff first. You could pm Brad or post in Tech if the more obvious stuff doesn't show up the problem.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:10:07 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
monstermick58

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »

Go with what Koko64 said and when you are checking your wires also check that the connectors haven't corroded where the wire goes into the connector as this will create lots of resistance

Mmick

This won't hurt much.... Trust me......
Sabre Brian

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »

All the wiring seems good.  No signs of corrosion or anything like that.  Checked all the fuses and they are good.  Buggered if I know.

Off to mechanic I guess.
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »

All the wiring seems good.  No signs of corrosion or anything like that.  Checked all the fuses and they are good.  Buggered if I know.

Off to mechanic I guess.

Keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about (I am sure somebody can elaborate if I cause confusion) ... but did you also check the big fuse near the battery/ECU (ie. not with the other fuses).

Believe post content at your own risk.
monstermick58

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:29:28 AM »

Keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about (I am sure somebody can elaborate if I cause confusion) ... but did you also check the big fuse near the battery/ECU (ie. not with the other fuses).

He seems to have power just not enough Betty, if the main fuse was blown you would not have any power at all and you would see that at the dash.

Mmick

Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

He seems to have power just not enough Betty, if the main fuse was blown you would not have any power at all and you would see that at the dash.

Mmick

Okey dokey ... just thought if he was checking fuses that one might be missed, because it doesn't hang out with the other fuses.

Believe post content at your own risk.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »

I was looking at the bike last night and I went to pull the clutch in and I could only get it in half way.  Could my dry clutch be seized or something?
Sabre Brian

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »

OK so a bit more investigation.  I put a test light on the battery side of the solenoid and there is power, but on the positive terminal of the starter motor,
there is no power when I hit the starter.  Rooted solenoid maybe?
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »

Grab an 11mm open ended spanner and short the two big terminals together with this. If the solenoid is dodgy this will start the bike.

I carried an 11mm spanner around for about a year before I got around to fixing the underlying issues.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:19:09 PM »

you need to charge new batteries before use

it wont be at full capacity and from experience if the battery isnt near 100%
then it wont kick over

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »

I will try the charging thing tonight.  If not, I think it is time to just bite the bullet and head for a mechanic.  Thank you for your help guys
monstermick58

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:37:11 AM »

Try what SuzyJ said (Hi Suzyj) I can see where she is coming from, like she said it will tell you if the solenoid is not working, with your clutch is the bike in neutral?

Mmick

Sabre Brian

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »

Mick it was.  I took the cover off and put a bit of WD40 on the shaft and it freed up.  I was reluctant to use spray on it, but by that time I was thinking I was up for a new clutch anyway.  It seems ok now.  I don't think the solenoid is to blame anymore.  The starter is trying to work.  The charge thing is the last thing I will try before sending to the shop.

I have another bike which is getting all my attention at the moment, so the Monster is on the back burner currently, although it kills me every day I know it isn't running.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

So the result.  The battery was fine apparently. 

I bought a new battery, drove straight from the shop to my home, and it would not crank over my bike,  I assume that it being a new battery,
there must be something wrong with the bike.  Then of all things, the clutch seems to lock up.  I remove the clutch but can't get the pressure plate free, so I try to get some CRC down into the shaft without getting any on the plates.  Got the clutch free, but still no start.  Start looking at this that and the other electrical problem, and someone on here (J5) says the battery probably isn't fully charged from new.  So I put a multimeter on it and it says 10.85 volts.  Bugger.  My old charger is stuffed so I go and buy a brand new battery charger.  Charge it for 24 hours.  Still 10.85 volts.  Motherf%#$%#er.  Back to Battery World, who tell me that they need to charge the battery and then test it tomorrow.  By this time I am more than a little miffed and give the staff at Battery World more than a hard time about having to make a 3rd trip back to their shop for my battery.  They ring me back the next day and tell me the battery now has 13.1 volts and is fine.  I go and pick it up and take it home.  Bike starts perfectly.  I decide to take it for a long overdue cane over to a mate's place, and now the friggin clutch is slipping like shit, no doubt thanks to the CRC.  Perhaps I should just ride a furgin moped.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: