Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 12:27:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WikiMonster  (Read 8763 times)
DucPete

07 S4R

« on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:44 AM »

Would it be possible to start a Wiki for monsters or even ducatis in general?  It may not be helpful for everyone but we could start a very serious knowledge base for these bikes that would be a fantastic source for information. 

What I mean by possible is interest, and support from this crew.  Since we're trying to populate this new board with information why not do it in a way that organizes the information in the form of a wiki.

I'm sorry you got all butt-hurt. Now let it go. Deep breath. Just let it goooo....

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams
EvilSteve
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:56:42 AM »

As a replacement/substitute for the FAQ?
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:58:42 AM »

Wiki's are all the rage now Steve!

Some of them are crappy while others if nicely done can be very handy to have... I'm all for a separate Wiki of archived tech
DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:02:35 AM »

As a replacement/substitute for the FAQ?

If it was kept fairly clean, and incorporated how-tos well in addition to just tech and general information, it could be nice. 

I'm sorry you got all butt-hurt. Now let it go. Deep breath. Just let it goooo....

DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:06:20 AM »

The big questions are where to host it and who is going to maintain it.  Which could be killers at this point.  I'd be willing to help however I can, within reason. 

EvilSteve
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »

I agree, it could be a good idea. I'm just wondering how we prevent the Colbert effect.
Evil_Ductator

05 M1000S

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:24:19 AM »

I agree, it could be a good idea. I'm just wondering how we prevent the Colbert effect.

By that are you referring to the ability of anyone to edit it and enter incorrect or inaccurate information?  I would think it could be a non-open wiki if that's what you mean, so that it could be submitted, reviewed and then posted.  I agree that seems like a lot of overhead though.  The other nice thing about the FAQs and HOWTOs being in threads is that people can post related information, alternate or better methods, tips from their experiences, related info on similar models, etc...

Too bad we can't just archive the info in the useful threads at TOB, I presume that would not be legal.
ltnuke

695 / Comp Werks Chop / 14t / Low Termis / DP ECU

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:29:04 AM »

Hmm I think the MonsterWiki would be a great addtion to the DMF!  Instead of recreating all the FAQs here we should work towards that.
Evil_Ductator

05 M1000S

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:39:11 AM »

Also, it looks like youtube is the way to go for a lot of the howto's now... in the faq's thread... awesome!
Le Pirate

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:05 AM »

I like Wikia.com for making your own wiki's

It's pretty easy to use

RB

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:48:36 AM »

Starting a Wiki now is the only way to accomplish this, as over the many years this forum will grow and at some point the information will be too overwhelming to catalog in an intuitive manner. Most of the FAQs came from threads, with other related and non related info within. Those threads should stay intact, in their respected areas, then a mod...or Wiki team gets a suggestion to clip out the useful...accurate info to organize in the Wiki.
While this idea may make info redundant, it will make searching for relevant information easier as time goes on. I agree the wiki should be closed, however, members should be allowed to edit info as they see fit pending approval from a wiki-moderator. I for one am not an authority on all aspects of mechanics, so the wiki-mods would have to collaborate with members to decipher what is fact and what is opinion, and possible post both with that caveat. Members should also be able to edit the tags in which a wiki topic is described. How i search for something, Amy not be the same words or phrase someone else does. Editing the tags by all members will not disrupt the information, but will make for a more robust search engine.

I will be happy to help with this project, but i haven't the faintest idea on how to start a wiki-cycle bible. Perhaps my efforts could be used to update and enter info once a repository has been established.

RB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:53:57 AM by RB » Logged

TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »

What name do you like better?

MonsterWiki.com
or
WikiMonster.com
jdubbs32584
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »

I like MonsterWiki FWIW.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

That's what I was thinking...
DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »

I like MonsterWiki FWIW.

I concur.   

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: