Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2500 paper weight?  (Read 2625 times)
Doz

« on: May 30, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »

Just bought a 2008 695 from an online salvage auction and picked up the bike this morning. Very little noticeable damage and less than 3K miles. What could be so wrong I thought. Turns out the whole rear engine mount (tranny case) is split from left to right. Going to attempt welding this back together but it is such a strange failure based on the great condition of the rest of the bike. (no broken pegs, no heavy rash, all body parts are in tact ,even the bars are fine)
Could this have been a casting problem or an over torque of that bolt?...any recalls concerning this sort of thing?
Thanks for any input.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »

VIN #?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »

Could this have been a casting problem or an over torque of that bolt?

Strange, but certainly not unheard of. The cases are (or used to be) sand cast, which can lend itself to some issues. There are people on the board who have had them welded.

Absolute worst-case scenario, you've bought a rolling chassis and can stuff in a different (bigger?) engine.

Can you post some pics of the crack?

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
thorn14

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »

If the internals are fine you may just need to swap cases if welding doesn't work out.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »

Under torqued more likely than over torqued, which could allow movement.  And the casting is not great, but good enough.  The case can probably be welded and drilled and be better than new.  A good welder should be able to do this without splitting the case.  Before spending a lot of money make sure the frame is straight.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »

Under torqued more likely than over torqued, which could allow movement.  And the casting is not great, but good enough.  The case can probably be welded and drilled and be better than new.  A good welder should be able to do this without splitting the case.  Before spending a lot of money make sure the frame is straight.

Spot on.

Definitely check the frame.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
pitbull

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

I've had two m900 rear engine bolt mounting points welded.

One on my 01 900 that dropped into a massive pot hole on I75 through MI and another on a 2000 m900 I bought crashed and put back together.

Both held up fine after welding.

If you do find the frame tweaked a bit, the advice I received from a local ducati mechanic was to straighten the frame once it's bolted back onto the engine. Mine was only tweaked a little and straightened out easily once bolted back onto the engine.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
Doz

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll try and get some pictures posted.
lpgoldtop
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

Can you post some pics of the crack?

there must be a better way of wording that...

If you can't fix the engine, try to turn it into furniture. I know old Harley FL frames with high bars and sissy bar cushions make great recliners!
Doz

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »

Got some pictures of this crack/busted case. Seems like this is not the only failure of this type, other have welded up this area with good success. I'd post pictures but don't know how...yet.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »

FAQ on Posting a picture:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=109.0

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: