Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Dainese Drake Air Textile Pants  (Read 9091 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »

Gear is such a particular thing to people and there aren't enough reviews on here, so I thought I'd help by contributing.  I'm not going to bother describing the features as that is available on the Dainese site or Revzilla or any other online dealer.  This is a more personal review than objective.

What was I looking for?
I have one other pair of riding pants: Dainese D6 kevlar jeans.  They are great but they don't have pockets for knee pads.  I bought aftermarket pads (Forcefield Limb Tubes) but as I documented on some other thread, they didn't work for me.

So I was in the market for new pants that: provided good protection, were comfortable in 3-season riding, and that I could wear off the bike without looking like a stormtrooper.

What other pants did I consider?
I was at the Revzilla store in PA and got to try on a bunch of pants.  None of the Rev'it stuff fit me well, and other brands had something off.  I tried the Air Drake after a few bad pants and they immediately fit me well and felt comfortable.  I also considered Aerostitch Dairen, which many people swear by.  However, I missed their pop-up store when it came to town and I don't like buying clothes that I haven't tried on.  I also considered the Dainese D-Dry Evo pants, which is basically the rain version of the Drake.  It comes with a waterproof inner liner.  (More on rain later.)

Why did I decide to go with the Drake?
Comfortable fit---Dainese tends to fit my body type for whatever reason.  Also, they were thin without being tight.  This was important because on my Roland Sands jacket, which I really like, I worry about the looseness of fit, especially as it related to armor.  In a crash I fear that the armor with slide around and not provide protection where it is needed.  

The same fear carried over to pants.  Even if I my kevlar jeans had pockets, they fit loose enough that I would worry about pants twisting, armor sliding around, etc.  With the Drake, the fit is snug without being restrictive.  Kinda perfect.

Okay, how do they feel on the bike?
Great.  At first, knee pads were a bit tight and I thought it might be a problem.  But after 5 minutes of riding I was used to it and didn't think about it for the remainder of the ride.  I did a 320 miles, 6-hr (with breaks) ride last weekend, including the same 320 mile return trip, and they did not have any long term issues like cutting off circulation or chaffing or anything.

What about temperature?
I rode through 85* F (29* C) and they were fine at riding speeds.  In traffic they were hot but what pants aren't.  I rode through 70* (21*) in the rain and they were fine from a temperature stand point.  The thigh vents help with airflow but I don't notice a huge difference between having them open vs closed.  I would say it's a modest difference.

Rain?
Yes, rode with them in the rain.  They actually held up well, but once it downpoured for 30 minutes they got wet.  They do not pretend to be rain pants nor did I expect them to be, but I was satisfied with how they held up in light rain for limited periods.

As mentioned, I considered the rain version of these (D-Dry Evo), but decided against it.  First, they didn't fit as well: with the liner they were okay, but then would be large and baggy without it installed.  The opposite---good fit without liner, tight when liner in---was true if I went down a size.  Also, I decided to solve the rain issue by buying non-rain gear and then adding a rain suit to go over because I don't ride much if rain is forecast, so really it is just an emergency thing.

What don't I like about the pants?
The knew armor covers all the way down to the shin.  However, I always ride with full boots so the end of the knee armor tends to just butt up against the top of my boots and that is annoying.  But I don't notice it while riding, only off the bike.

What do I like about the pants?
As mentioned above: fit, and they seem to have a good temperature range.  I also like the adjustability--the waste has velcro tabs that allow fit refinement.  The material seems solid.  It's 750 cordura which is pretty thick textile, and much thicker than most textile pants.  The look is good, too.  All black with just one dainese name logo on the left knee.  I can wear them off the bike without looking like I just got off a bike.  I even wore then to a restaurant with a collared shirt dress code and no one complaned.  If I take the knee pads out (very easy to do) they are even more comfortable for off the bike use.  I also like that they zip into my Dainese Air textile jacket.  This was not a consideration when I was shopping pants, but it worked out and I'm glad it did.  Nice to have the extra protection of a 2-piece suit vs separate jacket and pants.

That's it.  I am happy with my purchase and these are now my main riding pants.  Feel free to ask me any questions if you're in the market for new gear.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:31:44 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
J1nns

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »

Thanks for the review man I appreciate it.. I'm looking at these pants but I'm slightly concerned because I have large thighs (former lifter).
1.21GW

bikeless

Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:49 PM »

Try Rev'it gear.  I didn't like it because it was a little large fit.

Also, if you don't know Revzilla ships for free and allows one free return if size doesn't work.  So you can buy and try the Drake.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »

I've found that Dainese are decently accommodating of big legs. But how big we talking?  Mine are Rugby lose forward big, not crazy power lifter big...

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:07:26 AM »

I've found that Dainese are decently accommodating of big legs. But how big we talking?  Mine are Rugby lose forward big, not crazy power lifter big...

I know nothing about Rugby except that you have to wear a horizontally striped shirt with white collar or (I presume) your team must forfeit, so I can't quite respond to the "lose forward" reference.

I will say that I am a normally sized 6'1" 185 person.  I don't think anyone would describe me as "lanky" or, conversely, as "thick".  Take what you will from that.

Also, this:

Also, if you don't know Revzilla ships for free and allows one free return if size doesn't work.  So you can buy and try the Drake.

But as a veteran on here, Slidey, you already knew that.   Wink

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »

I know nothing about Rugby except that you have to wear a horizontally striped shirt with white collar or (I presume) your team must forfeit, so I can't quite respond to the "lose forward" reference.

I will say that I am a normally sized 6'1" 185 person.  I don't think anyone would describe me as "lanky" or, conversely, as "thick".  Take what you will from that.

Think roughly linebacker... 5' 11", 195 - Deadlifts of 400+ for sets of 10. On vague numbers, you're slimmer a build than I

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »

Think roughly linebacker... 5' 11", 195 - Deadlifts of 400+ for sets of 10. On vague numbers, you're slimmer a build than I

Who you calling slim, punk!  Grin

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »

You Mr. Slimmy slim slim...  Grin

At the apex of my playing career I was 5'10" and nearly 220 mid season. Finding pants then was a shit show... hello 36 jeans on a 32 waist

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
J1nns

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »

I don't think I was ever as big as you sound but I've got a 32" waist with a 34" inch inseam and my thigh is 23" at the thickest. Slim fit pants can be a challenge.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:40 PM »

So, what am I at 190+lbs 5'8" 30"inseam and 34-36waist? a running/full back?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »

So, what am I at 190+lbs 5'8" 30"inseam and 34-36waist? a running/full back?
Nah. That's more like an assistant offensive coordinator physique. Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: