Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 09:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epic Monster Ride - 843 miles in 2 days  (Read 1425 times)
goog

« on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »

I have been itching to get out of the house and out of the area on my bike for a while.  Have had my 696 for about 8 months and nothing really spectacular to show for it.... I live in Scottsdale, my sister lives in Sunnyvale CA.  She invited me up to hang out for a while.  Is that too far too ride on a Monster....?  Only one way to find out.

I got ready for the trip and got together my gear.  Just got some TCX boots off eBay, got an Ogio  Mach 5 backpack, and tried to get a Tourmaster tank bag from a guy on Craigslist.  That piece didn't work out, but made due with another aviation headset bag not much smaller.  I also got a solar powered USB charger.   That might be the best $30 ever spent.  I carefully planned my route, and figured that I should be able to get to Lompoc on the coast before dark - about 100 miles past Santa Barbara. My plan was to head up Hwy 1 / PCH on Sunday morning.    The plan was going perfectly until Saturday morning.  I wanted to leave by 730am at the latest.  At 830am on Saturday,  I hit the starter, and nothing.  The first time she ever didn't start right up.  Anyhow, fast forward 3+ hours, about 1 hour of which was on the battery tender, it started right up.  I had planned 5 gas  stops before Lompoc, and the first 3 legs across the desert went perfectly.  Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate.

I hit rain in the mountain pass around Palm Springs, but nothing too bad.  I don't have a lot of experience riding in the rain (hey, I live in Scottsdale, what do you expect?) But it didn't bother me at all.  Anyhow, with the last start, and the technical delay, instead of getting to Lompoc before dark. I didn't get to the hotel until almost midnight.  I was sore, tired, stiff, and spent but I made it.  The last hour was riding through patchy fog, at night on twisty unfamiliar dark roads.  Not what I wanted, but we got the job done.  474 miles in one day.

The next morning, I was excited to get an early start on my "E Ticket" PCH ride, But no go, same starting problem as Saturday morning.  Flash forward about another 4 hours, and a battery tender for me to get on my way.

Any way - 843 miles in 2 days.  The good news is that I need to ride my bike back to Scottsdale in a couple weeks and I am looking at a new route to head home on. It was a great experience and now I am shopping for a gel foam saddle to go home with

I might post some pics soon!

##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##

Red Bull for breakfast, Rockstar for lunch, Monster for Dinner,
supplemented with coffee throughout the day
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

Well played.

red baron

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »

Awesome, and buy a new battery.  waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »

nice.
there was actually flash flooding up in the mountains, near where you hit rain.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
goog

Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

I looked at the radar from about 100 miles away and it looked scary.  By the time I got to around Banning, the path along the 10 had opened up.  Talked to some Harley guys that had just come through and they said it wasn't bad.

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »

If you want a seat that you can ride on all day without butt hurt, I have a Rick Mayer saddle that will fit your bike!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
goog

Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

Hey Spike!  How much and where?   I'm planning a longer route for the trip home

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »