Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 06:20:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated: Opinion (was review): Motul 300V  (Read 28935 times)
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »

Oh fun, another tech thread with you two in a pissing match.

why don't you both go back to focussing on the topic instead of on each other?

dlearl476, nothing wrong with saying what you do in terms of rules here, but it's not a requirement either.   If you were selling stuff here I'd ask for a minor sponsorship level.

hedgehog, I don't think you've uncovered a huge conspiracy here.   If it changes your opinion about his opinion fine, we've established that.   Oil is like gas, some people will swear others are chumps for buying pricier stuff than they believe needed.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Hedgehog

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »

Oh fun, another tech thread with you two in a pissing match.

Oil threads always devolve to pissing matches.   laughingdp
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »

Grin

I was hoping we could make it to 5 or so pages first.       chug

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
dlearl476

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 12:27:30 PM »

Grin

I was hoping we could make it to 5 or so pages first.       chug

YO, Statler.  Wake up, you're dreaming.   Grin

Point taken, hatchet buried.
Ducnial

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 05:54:58 PM »

Why are you guys in such a bad mood, its Friday!  Its only opinions.   Plus you know what they say...  opinions are like ass-holes, everyone has one.  As far as the 300V question, I put it in a past 695 only 200 miles after the 600 mile service and noticed a huge difference in tranmission smoothness, no more clunking Wink.  I read on the DML what people what people were already reporting that it improved shifting.  The real reason I changeed the oil is because of its thermal stability, 695's run HOT ! No oil cooler and lean, lean, lean and what they put in at the 600mi service was a synth/dino hybrid. Anyway I up graded to a the S4R and after 600 mile breakin I put Motul 300V in again.  Did not notice such a big difference probably because the S4R trans is a lot better quality than the 695? Water cooled engines run soo much cooler. waytogo  Anyway I was reading about Amsoil and thier new oil filter and its positive reviews so I though I'd give them both a try it at 1200mi.  For a new engines I like to change the oil at least twice before dropping to longer service intervals.   Did not notice much of a difference between the two but thats not the reason I use a premium synthetic oil.  Its because I run the liven shit out of the engine during track days.  My opinion is any good quality synthetic will do fine.  There's been some reports on various forums tha Motul 300V does not have any or very little corrosion inhibitors and leaving it in for long periods could lead to internal corrosion?  But that may be what seperates a racing oil with its short change intervals to a road type oil with stabilizers for long change intervals?  George is the expert in this area, not me.

Hedgehog

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »

<snip>As far as the 300V question, I put it in a past 695 only 200 miles after the 600 mile service and noticed a huge difference in tranmission smoothness, no more clunking Wink.

Ducnial,

Here's the synopsis of why I distrust any motor oil that gives a huge difference in transmission smoothness, etc.  Back in the 70s, the major oil companies thought they had found a wonder chemical.  It did exactly what you want (more, better, smoother).  This chemical was chlorine.  Unfortunately, the side effect of elevated levels of chlorine is that it makes bearing and gear surfaces gall.  This is not a good thing.  When it came down to it, the Prolong trade-name additive was just more chlorine snake oil with "a better way of formulating it".  As if.  So, when someone says that they notice better smoother shifting, the first thing I think of is more chlorine and eventual galling.  Could Motul have a more better way of using chlorine, or something else right by it on the periodic table?  I dunno, and don't care.  I'll stick with the stuff that I know works, and that I know isn't going to cause galling problems.  Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a cool sticker.   
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »

If you can't make a choice based off the info in this thread, you won't get it!

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=1912.0

I thought one of the most interesting recommendations George made was to use neodymium magnets on your filters. The magnet will make the cheapest, worst performing filter more efficient than the most expensive, highest quality filter.  I picked up six for my bike, cars, and friends for $10. 

www.rare-earth-magnets.com

M-ROCin' it!!!
DrDesmo

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

"You know what the best kind of oil for your bike is? Clean oil." - a Duc tech I know

chug

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »

Your all retards!!!! Italian bikes need Italian oil.

I run EEV Olive oil in mine. pregnant doges.  laughingdp

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
DrDesmo

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »

Your all retards!!!! Italian bikes need Italian oil.

I run EEV Olive oil in mine. pregnant doges.  laughingdp

Check out post #17  Vino! Great minds think alike!

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/general-monster-forum/174439-mixed-cocktail-engine-oil-2.html

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: