Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 06, 2024, 02:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the metal cutting disc on a Dremel actually cut through metal?  (Read 11000 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: July 12, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »

It looks weak and I'm thinking about cutting the brackets which holds the heel heat guards, on the s-pipes. Pretty solid metal to cut through?
I'm doing this because of clearance issues - my heel is forced out a bit + the heel of my boot sometimes rests on top of the heat guard in contact with the pipe.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »

It will. For about 3.672 seconds.

They'll get the job done eventually, but you're gonna have to change discs like crazy if you've got any serious metal to go through.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »

It will. For about 3.672 seconds.

They'll get the job done eventually, but you're gonna have to change discs like crazy if you've got any serious metal to go through.

If they would only last for 4 seconds Roll Eyes The pieces I want off are quite serious, so I'll have to see a professional waytogo

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »

There are fiber-reinforced discs for the dremels, but they're still for light duty.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »

using a dremel is like chopping down a giant NorCal redwood with a fingernail file.  It will work -- but take forever.

If you want to do it cheap -- just go to HF (Horror Freight) and get a 4.5in grinder for @$15.  Go get a  4.5in metal cutoff blade for @$1.86 via HF, Lowe, HomeDepot, etc.  Make a practice cut or two first.  Then cut your pipes with 1/8in remaining.  (@20 seconds)  Then go back and carefully with the grinder remove the remaining stuff. (minute)  Either then file out or get a sanding disc @$5.00 (HF, Lowe, HomeDepot) and smooth out the remaining 1/32nd left. (2 minutes because you are being really careful) If you are good, you won't ever know that a bracket was there.  If your not careful -- you will have ugly cut marks which is very unprofessional looking.

Then when you are done, make cut marks on the rear frame of your bike and do a tailchop on it.  About 30 seconds to do both sides.  Invite your friends over once you have done yours and let them bring food/beverages in trade to borrow your tools.

Tools are your friend.  Use them.  Remember to wear safety eye wear and use gloves to protect your hands.

Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »

You and your damned logic.  Angry

waytogo

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

If you are good, you won't ever know that a bracket was there.  If your not careful -- you will have ugly cut marks which is very unprofessional looking.

But they said it (the Dremel) would cover all of my tooling needs - did they lie to me?  Cry

I'll have to look into buying a grinder. It's just that once I get it, I will never need it again. If I don't get it, I'll think of all kinds of things I could
use it for bang head Would the right discs work on a drill as well? I have that already.

I agree on doing it right - hate to have my bike looking damaged, but I'm planning on covering the s-pipes with header wrap. Although, just knowing that underneath it's all pretty makes it worth while doing it properly.

The tools for beer trade sounds fair chug
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:14:39 PM by stopintime » Logged

DarkStaR

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

I just used the dremel with the fiber reenforced disc to cut the upper tabs (and half of the weld) off of the headlight U bracket.  That used up 1 disc.

It wasn't steel, but it wasn't soft aluminum either.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

Would the right discs work on a drill as well? I have that already.

Yes.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
knightrider

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »

um, i dont think you should use a cutting disk in a drill, they ussually dont have the speed that you need to accually get the job done, prolly take you as long as the dremel will. grinders ussually spin 10k to 15k rpm, i dont know of a drill that spins that fast. plus a 4.5" dewalt grinder will only set you back like 50$. if you goto harbor frieght its even cheaper. 

1994 M900
Hedgehog

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

No good is going to come from this.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:16:12 AM »

No good is going to come from this.

...other than a big ugly hole in my pipes, buying replacements and THEN having it professionally done?  Evil Wink

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »

Have you tried a more precise cutting bit, such as a tungsten carbide bit.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 07:04:47 AM »

Have you tried a more precise cutting bit, such as a tungsten carbide bit.

?? Tongue Huh?

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:09:45 AM »

good for cutting, then use other bits for cleaning up cut

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: