Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 06, 2024, 02:22:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the metal cutting disc on a Dremel actually cut through metal?  (Read 10987 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »

um, i dont think you should use a cutting disk in a drill, they ussually dont have the speed that you need to accually get the job done, prolly take you as long as the dremel will. grinders ussually spin 10k to 15k rpm, i dont know of a drill that spins that fast. plus a 4.5" dewalt grinder will only set you back like 50$. if you goto harbor frieght its even cheaper. 

I've been doing it for years on car restorations/bike mods.

A cheesy cordless I'd agree with you on. I have a high end makita that spins a metal cutting disc just fine.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »

Just use the Dremel. Those tiny little tabs that the heel guards screw into are not heavy guage sheet metal. You will change disks, but that's supposed to happen. That's the way it works. I guess that's why Dremels come with a bazillion  of those disks in the box. The Dremel will enable you to surgically remove them(with the exhaust still on the bike), and not overgrind or otherwise screw up like you could with an angle grinder. You can use the little sanding disks that come with the Dremel to finish it off, and the polishing wheel if you want to go nuts. It's not like you are trying to cut an I beam or anything. An angle grinder is too big of a tool for that job, especially if you don't have metalfab finesse experience. People use Dremels all the time to core their exhaust cans with little difficulty. I once removed a bike boot from one of my friends' bicycles in college with a Dremel. It was a University Parking Nazi high-strength industrial nuclear bomb-proof padlock. Probably cost them $200. Dremel went through it like butta. Changed a few disks, but that's how it works.

I'd recommend you keep the heat shields right where they are. If your foot rests on the top of them now, they will rest on the exhaust pipe itself when you remove them completely. You will have melted footwear. I dunno, to me it just doesn't seem smart. Rearsets would be smarter in my view. Maybe even bigger heat shields.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:09:41 AM by bergdoerfer » Logged

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
64duc

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

I've been doing it for years on car restorations/bike mods.

A cheesy cordless I'd agree with you on. I have a high end makita that spins a metal cutting disc just fine.

I usually use an air tool, but my cheesy Craftsman 19.2 volt will do it too if no air supply is available.

94 M900, 64 Diana 250
tangueroHondo

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »

I have the same prob with the heel as this crazy Norwegian.  I put a piece of wood up against the S-pipe and pounded it towards the wheel a bit so I had more heel clearance.   Shocked Shocked   
I used a dremel for my tail chop.  It did take two cutting wheels and a quite a bit of time, but it did a nice clean job.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Crazy Norwegian?  laughingdp Who - me? In that case, we're all crazy up here - the girls too Cool

It sounds like a Dremel is possible, like going touring on a 50cc. Things will break, you might not get there, but fun if you succeed. It is tempting to at least try the Dremel - if it fails I'll just get the angle grinder. Hmmm, or just have a professional do it in 10 minutes.

I have rearsets. That's why my size 12 feet are rearwards enough to be positioned outside the rear pipe - which is further out than the forward pipe.
My dealer loosened the pipe and pounded it a few mm in. We also repositioned the lower can to hang on the inside of the main/high bracket instead of on the outside. It helped, but is not enough.

Boot on pipe issue will be solved by using header wrap on that section. At least that's how I plan to proceed. As I see the ergonomics, this will align my foot along the forward pipe's heat guard and hopefully not touch the wrap on the rear pipe.

Thanks for all the input. It goes to the "educating Norwegians foundation" waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
bigtime

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »

I used a dremel to chop the heat shields off my S2R and it took just a few minutes.  It was a while ago so I don't recall what bit I used, but I had no issues.

M

The voice inside your head telling you to stop should not be trusted
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 03:40:24 PM »

I used a dremel to chop the heat shields off my S2R and it took just a few minutes.  It was a while ago so I don't recall what bit I used, but I had no issues.

M

First and knowledge - thanks!  waytogo If you don't remember which bit, it probably wasn't anything out of the ordinary I suppose.
(BTW It was the brackets and not just the shield itself?)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:41:57 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:21 AM »

If you're just using the regular metal cutting discs for the dremel, double 2 up at once, it prolongs their life considerably. The dremel should be able to handle this job, no big deal.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
tangueroHondo

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »

I didn't use the brittle brown cutting discs.  I used the 1.5" 'Metal' reinforced with the E-Z lock connector.  Come in a 5-pack withe the E-Z lock shaft.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

I used a dremel and a combination of the brittle disks and the reinforced disks to core my exhaust cans. 

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
bigtime

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »

First and knowledge - thanks!  waytogo If you don't remember which bit, it probably wasn't anything out of the ordinary I suppose.
(BTW It was the brackets and not just the shield itself?)

Yes, the bracket.  It was the bit that printman showed in an earlier thread. 

The voice inside your head telling you to stop should not be trusted
aaronb

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »

cutting a few tabs off should not require a 4.5" angle grinder.  really not a big deal.  you should be able to get them off with 1 or 2 of the larger fiber reinforced disks.  just wind the dremel up to ten and cut slow, be careful to keep the blade straight once into the bracket, touching the sides will ruin the disk very quickly.  best bet is to draw a line with the disk right at the weld then work the disk back and forth over the line until you're through.  once the tabs are off you can clean them up with a sanding drum or cylindrical stone.  just take your time and it should be no problem.  5-15 minutes per tab depending on how clean you take the welds down to. 

use these, #456 1-1/2"fiber glass reinforced cut-off disk
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=456

and don't forget safety glasses, if (when) the disk comes apart fragments fly everywhere.   

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

my cordless dremel seems to do just fine with the discs cutting metal...one handed even.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
erkishhorde

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »

If you do attempt the dremel remember to wear eye protection. Don't press too hard or you'll just burn through the little disk in 2 seconds. Also try not to push out of plane of the disk since they snap easily. Be careful once you get near the end of a disk since they tend to disintegrate and sometimes throw little bits around. Just be patient.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »

Don't listen to all these guys saying you need bigger tools. The dremel will be fine, and those discs cut for more like 20 seconds. I would be surprised if you needed more than one or two discs to cut through ANY part on your bike...

I used mine for my tail chop, and cutting the nub off my kickstand, and niether job used up a whole disk. Besides, the discs come in tubes of like 20 for a reason: it's OK to use two or three at a time.

Your job will take you less than 5 minutes, just get to it!

And definitely wear the eye protection... When those discs shatter (happens occasionally) it's like a small explosion of cutting material.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: