Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to replace the chain  (Read 5674 times)
DCXCV

« on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

Okay, so coming up on 13k, looks like my chain on the 695 is ready to retire.  So I have a few questions:

Suggestions on a quality replacement?
Suggestions on a chain tool?
Things to look for to determine sprocket wear? (When does the sprocket need to be replaced?)

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »

Sprocket teeth, when new, are straight and slightly flat on top.  When worn they'll be pointy on top and may show a slight curve to them.  If that's the case definitely replace them.  It's been a generally accepted practice to replace chain and sprockets as a set, the idea being that worn sprockets will hasten chain wear and vice versa.  However, if your sprockets are in really great shape and show no wear I see no reason why you can't get away with just a chain replacement.  I find it's generally worth it for strength and longevity to go with a higher quality chain such as DID.  The top stuff lately seems to be the "X-ring" chain, though the o-ring chains are pretty good too.  I'm just now putting a new DID x-ring chain on my Multistrada.  You'll need a good chain breaker from a dealer to break the old chain off and to rivet the new master link in place.  You can also get regular clip-type master links for the chains, though the chain manufacturers recommend the rivet type for street use.  Guess they don't think the clip-type is strong enough, though I've never seen one break in nearly 40 years of riding.  Hope this helps.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Sgt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »

I ordered an EK X-ring chian from Monsterparts a couple weeks ago.  http://www.monsterparts.com/p/EK-SRX/EK+SRX+Sealed+X-Ring+chain.html  It doesn't take a rivet tool to install the new chian.  You do need a chain breaker to get it apart, but it installs with nuts that you use to tighten the link together.  It's pretty slick.  Saves the need to buy another tool.  Also, I used a dremel to cut the end of the original rivet off, and still broke my chain breaker so get one with extra pins.

Sgt_H
Banned
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »

If your chain looks rusty, especially after you have cleaned and lubed it, time to change.

If it kinks, change it.

If your sprocket teeth start to fish hook, change the sprocket.

If you loose a tooth change the sprocket.

If your a silly man like me:
http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=761.0

be careful

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »

I bought this chain breaker/riveter tool, that looks very, very much like the very, very expensive DID tool: http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools.php?category_id=7.1, scroll about 3/4 down the page.  Seems really strong, and the markings match the DID tool.

It is........ $16 wt:  I haven't used it yet, but will this weekend.

Also take a look at the feeler gauge set for valve clearances.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
DucHockey

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »

I bought this chain breaker/riveter tool, that looks very, very much like the very, very expensive DID tool: http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools.php?category_id=7.1, scroll about 3/4 down the page.  Seems really strong, and the markings match the DID tool.

Speaking as somone who was about to plunk down some $$$ on the DID one, please post up a review!!! 

Thanks,
James

2005 M1000s Red

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/chain.html

Chris Kelley can answer all your questions.  Good prices, good, speedy service.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/chain.html

Chris Kelley can answer all your questions.  Good prices, good, speedy service.

+1

I have the MotionPro chain toolkit, and it works great.  It's rather easy to break the pins, so be careful.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:30:40 PM »

+1

I have the MotionPro chain toolkit, and it works great.  It's rather easy to break the pins, so be careful.

When removing the chain grind the heads of the rivits off first.
DucHockey

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »

Are you guys saying the $95 one on Chris' site is worth it?....       ca-cycleworks has always been good to me.  Always.  But the $16 for the chain tool on the above web site is awefully tempting.

2005 M1000s Red

Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »

Are you guys saying the $95 one on Chris' site is worth it?....       ca-cycleworks has always been good to me.  Always.  But the $16 for the chain tool on the above web site is awefully tempting.

CA Cycleworks has my business, too, I just bought a set of belts from Chris.  But my current disposable income can't tolerate TOTL tool purchases all the time.  This breaker/riveter looks like it should work for the 3 or 4 chains I may put on in my lifetime, and the price difference will let me buy more parts.  BTW, I have no affiliation with the web site I linked above.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

I can say the $95 tool is worth it.  On the other hand I can't comment either way on the $16 tool.  The way I look at it is if you saved more than you paid for the tool you did OK.  At $65 - $110/hr plus retail for parts you should make that money back on the first chain.
brad black

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 06:10:56 AM »

i really like the did tool.  really like it.  but the $16 one is identical to what we have, so worth a try i guess.  it'll only cost you a did one plus $16 if it's not up to the job.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Old-Duckman

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »

Thanx for the link, the guy has some other tools we could use on Ducks and at a far more reasonable price that I see at other places.

Like others have said or intimated, "ya get what ya pay for." However as someone else said, if you only intend limited use, the less expensive tool may be a better way to go.

Personally I have never seen the need to buy chain tools. I grind the heads off the rivits and knock the link out with a pin punch. I don't use rivited master links either so...no need for the riviting tool. If you do a lot of chains it would speed up the job I'm sure but  I've done OK with my methods so far.
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »

For those who are interested, I used this $16 DID-clone tool successfully to replace my chain.  It worked very well - better than the operator, who misused it at one point and broke the pin  bang head.  Anticipating my stupidity, I had ordered a spare.  Cost me $6 (new pin price) to learn how to use the tool properly.

A lot of force was applied to this tool in breaking the old and new chains (I ground the pin heads down), pressing on the master link side plate, and peening over the master link pins.  It's a brute, I unreservedly recommend it.  Be forewarned that it comes w/o instructions, so there's a learning curve if you're a dimmer bulb like me.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: