Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:24:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for new gear.  (Read 5041 times)
Javo

« on: December 29, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »

Hey guys, whats up! As you all can most likely tell I am new here and also new to riding. I am getting ready to buy a M821 and I was hoping you guys could tell me what kind of gear to get with it. Maybe if you guys could recommend me some gear and tell me what you know works and what doesn't. I am working with about 1000 to 1500 budget between helmet, jacket, gloves and boots (if any).

Thank you everyone in advance,

Javo

Anticipate! Most "accidents" are predictable, and avoidable.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:06 AM »

Helmet will be very specific to the shape of your noggin, but of all gear, this is where you don't want to be cheap. I'm not saying that you should look at race helmets either. I was going to post a link to some crash test results, but it seems to be tough to find.

Gloves would be my next investment, but thankfully the most important part of the shopping will be for fit. You can decide if you want gauntlet or short and how much knuckle protection you like. Here it's important to understand if you'll be riding in colder weather.

Third, boots! I had 2 sets, a cruising and a more sporty pair, specifically for track days. Both were Sidis. Loved them, but probably costlier. First pair should be comfortable on and off the bike. Make sure to find a motorcycle specific boot, does not allow your ankle to roll.

Jacket is a more delicate discussion. This past summer in ATL was not too bad, but you might be looking for something light for when it hits the 90s, so mesh might be necessary over riding with no armor. You can also go with a perforated leather jacket with some sort of liner for all season, but be ready to sweat on the bad days.

With all that said:
http://www.revzilla.com/2014-motorcycle-gear-guide

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
d3vi@nt

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

The type of riding you do (commute, sport, track, etc.) and the general environment (traffic, interstate, hot, cold, rain, etc.) will play a big part in choosing your gear.  More specifics will likely yield more appropriate recommendations.  waytogo

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

My thoughts, with a viewpoint of lowest price in each category to get good (but not necessarily great) protection.

Helmets:
While I agree w duccarlos that you don't want to skimp here for obvious reasons, bear in mind that are some point you are paying for features and not protection.  Features include things like: removable pads (so they can be washed or sized up/down), more and better venting (to cool you off), compatibility for communication devices (bluetooth), noise reduction, overall weight, and so on.  I think there are some good helmets in the $200+ range that have ample protection but are super noisy and don't vent well.  At the $350-400 range you start to get safety and features, and then the $500+ range is all about the fine details and special features.  And, as already stated, fit is very important SO TRY A BUNCH ON.  Different brands have different head shapes associated with them.

Jackets:
Popular opinion is that leather is better protection than textile and can be re-used after an "incident", which is its benefit.  But of course, it is more expensive.  Lots of generalities in those two statements and lots of exceptions that riders will debate to Doomsday.  Still, since you are new to riding, I would err on the safety side due to higher likelihood of going down, and thus go with leather.

In either case, $250-300 is the minimum for a jacket with decent protection.  However, it will likely not have armor or will have inadequate armor, so you'll need to spend $50-150 more for good armor.  Starting around $400-500, you get better constructed jackets (e.g. with kevlar stitching or similar subtle but stronger features).  $600 and up is where you get built-in armor or higher quality add-on armor, Gortex, layering (jacket will have one or two removable inside layers for warmth & waterproof), features on textile jackets like vents, pockets, etc.

Jacket options are infinite, so it can be confusing to research online.  Just know that you can make adjustments yourself to make up for shortfalls of any jacket: too cold? wear a wool sweater underneath.  no waterproof?  buy an overlay rain suit.  People have been riding bikes in all weather conditions for decades before Gortex or sweat-wicking microfibers were invented.

Gloves:
Around $100 you get good gloves.  $200+ is where you'll find better protection like some of those things mentioned above re: jackets (kevlar stitching, more and better armor) as well as Gortex or other weather-related features.

Boots:
I really don't know much about boots---I've only owned 2 pairs: a $100 pair of TCX that were very comfortable but offered little protection and a $250 pair of Dainese that are entry-level race boots and so have excellent protection.  You may want to use Timberlands or army boots or something rugged you have at home.  I discourage this.  I was going to post a link to a video explaining but I can't find it.  Basically, go to a moto store and try to twist the ankle/heel in opposite directions on a pair of race boots.  You can't do it.  On your work boots, however...

So, based on this:

Helmet: $400
Jacket: $500
Gloves: $150
Boots: $200
-----------
Subtotal $1,250
Tax $100
Total $1,350

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:02:07 AM »

Some helpful info on helmets - especially a table of some of the available helmets, and their internal shape

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

So to further add to your confusion, different manufacturers of gear will have differing fit models. With a hand waive of generality, Euro makers (Dainese, Rev'it, Spidi, AlpineStars) tend towards slimmer cuts vs more generous cuts from American makers. And of course, even within those there's differentiation between brands, lines within brands etc etc.

Gloves can be a bit all over the place as they are just such a complex form. My jacket and pants are Dainese... But I *cannot* wear their gloves. Every pair I've tried is too short in the fingers. Rev'it just makes kids gloves I swear - I can't even fit a XXXL... but A* I fit an XXL well.

I'm (sorta) fortunate that Brian Van, owner of Sport Bike Track Gear seems to have a near identical body size to me... so I cheat and watch their videos for sizing. They, and Revzilla have a lot of video content that (almost) always mentions the fit.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Javo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »

wow, guys thank you very much for all of your time and all of your answers. I live in Atlanta. I am looking to do some commute to work and it all includes highway (I85). I guess once I feel good enough to go to the track I would want to, but not right away. I will research and do some reading from the sites you all gave me. I will keep you guys posted.

Do you guys know how a helmet is suppose to feel? is it suppose to feel tight, loose, ext...

Thank you guys very much.

Javo

Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »

Do you guys know how a helmet is suppose to feel? is it suppose to feel tight, loose, ext...
Maybe use the video reviews on Revzilla. Head shape is key. Then read reviews elsewhere on noise, weight and air flow. Wear ear plugs..., ANY ear plugs..., or you'll be sorry later.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »

wow, guys thank you very much for all of your time and all of your answers. I live in Atlanta. I am looking to do some commute to work and it all includes highway (I85). I guess once I feel good enough to go to the track I would want to, but not right away. I will research and do some reading from the sites you all gave me. I will keep you guys posted.

Thank you guys very much.

Javo

Be careful on 85. Helmets will fit a bit tight when new until the pads break in. You'll need to live it with for a while since you really don't want to get anything too loose. For your first helmet, I recommend going somewhere that sells all types of helmets. The guys at the store will know what sort of shape your head is. Try them all out.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:43:50 AM »

Be careful on 85. Helmets will fit a bit tight when new until the pads break in. You'll need to live it with for a while since you really don't want to get anything too loose. For your first helmet, I recommend going somewhere that sells all types of helmets. The guys at the store will know what sort of shape your head is. Try them all out.

Yeah, definitely try on the helmets in person.  All other gear can be ordered online (although of course in person is better/easier to determine fit), but helmets in person is a must.

Also, once you get it, it will feel snug as duccarlos said.  When I get a new helmet, I wear it around the house and while watching tv to help break in the padding.  When you're riding, you don't want to have to constantly be aware of how new and awkward your helmet feels.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Triple J
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »

Helmet Fit:

1. Should be comfortable...no pressure points.
2. It should be tight enough that you would have a tough time chewing piece of gum without biting your cheeks.

Since you're going to be commuting on the highway, then I am going to suggest you get some pants as well. Atlanta is hot, so textile will likely be cooler. IMO pants are a must. Jeans will be gone in a slide after about 10 feet or less, then it's your skin on the pavement. I've slid across pavement a few times. No thanks on jeans.

I would suggest a one-piece suit. You won't look as cool, but one-piece textile suits offer very good protection, and are extremely functional. You can wear work clothes beneath them, or shorts, or layer if it's cold. Most also are waterproof.

An Aerostitch Roadcrafter is the best suit. Doesn't sound like you can't afford a new one, but may be able to find a used one in your size on Craigslist in your area. This First Gear one looks nice as well, and is in your price range.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/suits/textile_riding_suits/first_gear/tpg_expedition_suit_2014.html
[motorcyclegear.com is a great place to get gear by the way...great service and prices]

If a Bell Star helmet fits your head, then it is a great option, and you can often find them on sale for $250 or so. They ventilate extremely well, which will be nice in Atlanta. Like said above, you need to try on helmets though. Scorpion also makes nice affordable helmets.

You want gauntlet gloves for protection. For the street I'm partial to Held because they're comfy. The Held Steve (what I wear on street) gloves are nice and a good value. The Evo Thrux ones look great as well but no FHE.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_classic_gloves.html

Boots...get tall ones with ankle protection and a heel box. Sidis are nice if they fit. Here's an example of a nice pair at a reasonable price. I have the previous iteration of this boot, and it has done very well.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/fusion_motorcycle_boots.html

There you go, fully outfitted with very good protection and versatility for less than $1,200.

Suit - $550
Boots - $220
Helmet - $250 (on sale...up to $400 worst case)
gloves - $160

I would have far different recommendations for the track, but you're concerned about street. IMO the two require different gear based upon comfort and versatility. Good track stuff will cost quite a bit more. I used to use leather on the street, but am now a textile guy due to comfort and versatility. Good quality textile offers good protection on the street.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:46:54 AM by Triple J » Logged
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »

Overpants will definiely proof useful between October and April. Not sure how much they will be used during the summer.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

TripleJ's opinion on oversuit is valid and many many many riders use that option.  Plus, it has the special advantage that you can put it over your work clothes so when you get to work (or a party or to your friend's BBQ, etc), you just take it off and are ready to go (vs changing out of everything and putting on a whole new outfit that you would have to carry with you in a backpack or tailbag).

But not everyone likes using an oversuit, so if you don't do oversuit but want pants (a good recommendation) that don't look like you're an astronaut, kevlar jeans are becoming a more common option that offer protection with a casual look.  I rode with them for awhile, but recently switched to a full riding pant.  The reason I switched was that my jeans model didn't have pockets for armor and I decided that I wanted that option.  Kevlar jeans start in the $100-200 range and run up to $500 (yes, really).  But at $200 you can get good stuff.  Riding pants also start in the $200 range for decent options.  All things being equal, a riding pant will have more/better protection & features than kevlar jeans.  But the jeans look more normal off the bike.

Oh, and here is a thread of DMFers and what they prefer to wear.  If you read through a bunch of posts, you'll start to see consistencies in brands, preferences (e.g. textile vs leather), etc.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=112.0
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:51:35 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

Javo

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »

Holly crap guy, Thanks a million on this information. TripleJ, thank you very much for taking the time to look up some items for me. While it is a lot of information and kinda scary i cant wait to start getting all my gear and get my bike at the end of the month.

I like to thank all of you for your time. I don't know how many of you are from Atlanta but once I get my bike I would like to meet some of you. It would be nice to ride with someone instad of by yourself.

I have to say tho guys its kinda scary thinking about jumping on a bike and knowing that one day your going to go down, its just a question of when. Thats why i think i picked this as my first question on the forum.

Once i get my gear i will take some pics and show them to you guys. Again, thank you very much!!!!

Javo

Triple J
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »

I have to say tho guys its kinda scary thinking about jumping on a bike and knowing that one day your going to go down, its just a question of when.

I don't subscribe to this for the street. Track, yes. Ride smart and anticipate other's actions and you may never go down on the street. Also, always ride with a fair amount of skill in reserve. That said, shit happens, so dress for the crash.

In addition to gear, the best book for a street rider (IMO) is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. There are other great books, but I think this one is the overall best for learning to street ride safely. I think all riders should own a copy.
Javo

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »

I don't subscribe to this for the street. Track, yes. Ride smart and anticipate other's actions and you may never go down on the street. Also, always ride with a fair amount of skill in reserve. That said, shit happens, so dress for the crash.

In addition to gear, the best book for a street rider (IMO) is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. There are other great books, but I think this one is the overall best for learning to street ride safely. I think all riders should own a copy.

Triple J, Thanks again for your words. It really does help know i can come here and ask questions and get to know some of you. I will be getting a copy of the book. Thanks you very much for the suggestion.

Javo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: