Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:31:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerostich Roadcrafter "R-3" one piece suit review  (Read 10686 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: February 18, 2015, 02:39:52 AM »

Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3 one piece suit review

Roadcrafter R 3

Introduction

The “R-3” is the latest generation of the Roadcrafter suit. (It came out last (2014) spring.)
“Yeah, what’s the difference ? It looks pretty much the same (as the original Roadcrafter suit.)” , you may say.

At first glance, it doesn’t look any different from the previous generation(s) Roadcrafter.
It still has the same (somewhat) dorky looks of the original. No fancy stripes, graphics, or huge logos.
Really, it’s not going to win in any fashion contest.

However, the looks isn’t everything that matters in life, and no matter how “uncool” it looks, Roadcrafter one piece is still the king in the “best protection in the real world with the convenience of quick on / off ( so that you can actually do ATGATT)” department.

Why choose “R-3” over “classic” ?

The biggest difference between “R-3” and the original design (still available as “classic”) is that “R-3” has no liner.
Therefore, R-3 is lighter, and cooler to wear.
Lighter, for sure. (I could tell it’s noticeably lighter when picking up the box.)
Cooler ?  On the test ride (the video on top of the page), I did feel the noticeable difference.  I will have to test how comfortable it is in the mid 80s in this coming spring / summer. Anyhow, being in California (SF Bay Area), Roadcrafter that’s cooler to wear sounded so tempting. (I have the original one.) It should extend the riding season with Roadcrafter certainly, I thought.
Also, one of the alteration options I really wanted (forward rotated sleeves) is only available with new suit order.

I thought about it ... for a while (maybe 30 min. or so). Then, decided to get one.

Ordering, color options, alterations, and sizing

I called them and placed an order for the new R-3 suit on Jan. 16th. 2015.
At that time, they quoted “ 4 to 6 weeks” to get the suit made. (Mine is with some alterations , not the off-the-peg suit.)
I received an e-mail from Aerostich on Feb. 10th.. saying that the suit is ready and shipped out.
And it came in Feb. 17th.
It was pretty quick (they made it in 3 and 1/2 weeks). However, if you order spring - summer time, most probably it will take a bit longer.

As you can see in the Video and photos, I went Hi-Viz yellow with gray ballistics.
I actually have never owned Hi-Viz yellow gear / clothing. So, it was kinda gamble (especially when you look at the price tag), since I had no idea if I’d like that color combo, and custom suits are not returnable.
To me, motorcycling is not a fashion show, so I actually don’t care what others think about the way I’m dressed.
And I can not see myself while I’m riding ...
Anyway, choose whatever the color that makes you happy.

I added a couple of alteration options to my order.
Forward rotated sleeves, back panel ellipse (this will tilt the upper torso 5 degree forward), + 1 inch on the legs.
Take a look at their web site (alteration page).
For a sport bike rider, forward rotated sleeves and back panel ellipse are highly recommended.

For hip pads, I opted for TF5, which are SAS-TEC products actually.

(My old suit has TF3 hip pads, which are quite a bit bigger. And because of the bulk, it gets in the way when trying to reach to the street pants pocket. )

And now, probably the most tricky and complicated part of the ordering, the sizing.

( to be continued. I’m getting sleepy.)

Triple J
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »

Hopefully you like it. I love my Darien pants and jacket, and they've seen a lot of miles (and I have yet to get wet). I really want one of their one-piece suits though. My jacket is high-viz yellow as well...good stuff on those rainy & gray days.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:45:18 AM by Triple J » Logged
DesmoDiva

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »

Part 2?   popcorn

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:30 AM »

PART 2

Triple J, I think I really am going to like the suit, including this color combo (Hi-Viz yellow with gray ballistics).
The first impression with the test ride (in the day I received the suit) was very positive.
R-3 is definitely cooler to wear than the original. It would be much more comfortable in upcoming warmer weather season.

Now, get back to the sizing.
I know, there are some people who are interested in Roadcrafter but kind of hesitating to purchase the suit due to the fact that it is available through “mail order only”. You can not try them on at local retail store.
So, how do you find the size that fits you properly ?

The realistic options that can work for the most people are ...

One) Keep checking their Pop-up event schedule. (I went there when they did it in San Francisco in March 2013).
You can try their stock suit on, if you don’t fit in the off-the-peg suit, you can get measured by Aerostich stuff there.
Probably the best realistic option if you want to try them on before placing an order.

Another thing you can do is to keep checking your local craigslist till the size you are interested shows up for sale.
I found one piece, in size 38S, red / black, with full armor in San Francisco a few years ago. I used Aerostich’s sizing tool, and it said, 38S “with some alteration” would fit me best. So I contacted the seller (a girl who used to commute on MC but not anymore, hence, selling the suit), went to see if bone stock 38S would fit me. (I ended up buying that suit from her. The fit is, though not perfect, good enough to buy it right there.)

Or, maybe some of your friends have them. Even if your friend’s suit is one size bigger or smaller, it will still give you some idea. (Especially if you think you fall in between two sizes. I was wondering between the size 36 and 38 .)

What if none of the above works ? Well, you still can try them on.
First, use their “sizing tool” (you can find it on their web site). Don’t second guess, enter the honest number and wait until they get back to you. (normally takes a day.)
If you have some extreme body shape, some particular request, call them
When you order the new suit, they will send you try-out suit.
Put the tryout suit on over the street clothes you think you’re going to wear the most.
Then, move around, put the helmet on ( to make sure back of the helmet and the collar won’t interfere)  sit on a bike (but DON’T go out for riding ! ) and move around more in the riding position. Oh, and put the gloves on if you wear gauntlet type.
IF the suit fits, then, you are lucky. If it doesn’t, (too tight, too loose, too short, whatever), you call them / e-mail them and tell them the problematic part. They can (usually) guide you to the right direction. (go one size up, one size down, alteration, ... send back the try out suit for the exchange to the right size, or for alteration.  Just be careful with the custom order / alteration. The custom-altered suits are NOT returnable for refund or exchange.)

What I can tell you from my own experience is ...

You will need the suit that fits you best at the shoulders. The suit can be altered.
http://www.aerostich.com/alterations#roadcrafter
 Arms and legs can be lengthened or shortened, gusset can be added to the body.
However, the width and the length of the torso can no be changed.
In my own case, my shoulders are wider and the chest circumference is more than my height(5’ 5”) / weight (125 lb. with street clothes on) suggest. So, I needed 38, not 36.
My waist size is 28”. I have to cinch down side adjustable strap all the way in. But it fits. It may not be the best looking, but it works. Here’s the photo of me in the Red (original) suit. You can tell the skinny waist.

So, even though some people on the net says Aerostich is so called “Mid Western Cut", it still can fit on someone like myself. You shouldn’t really worry.

With stock 38S, the legs were tad too short. (you can’t see that in the photo above.)
So I added an inch to the legs (at the bottom).

Forward rotated sleeves and back panel ellipse are, like I said in the post #1, highly recommended.

(To be continued)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:56:55 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »

About the coloring options.
http://www.aerostich.com/rc-colors

All I can say is, choose the color combo that you like the best. You are going to wear it for the most of the time you get on a bike, and you are going to wear it for a long time (so you may change the motorcycle and other gears, but Aerostich suit will stay with you).
It seems to me, around here, I see more blue, black than red or yellow.
(for example, a friend of mine has black with green ballistics.)
You can even go all black (no 3M reflective panel), if you desire.

Dark color might make you look a little slimmer (than the bright color such as yellow, which certainly make you look fatter than you actually are. And , Roadcrafter is not cut for fashion, it is cut to be functional as a over-suit.)
Dark color may hide the dirt a bit better.
Dark (black) suit would be the hottest to wear in the summer, you may thinks. But, red is just as bad if you’re not moving.
The construction on the R-3 suit (no liner) makes bigger difference.
The visibility. Red is okay during the day. After the sun goes down, it quickly becomes invisible, though.

About their Hi-Viz color, from the Aerostich.
http://www.aerostich.com/hi-viz-advantages-2

(I am NOT saying you should wear, or consider buying Hi-Viz gear, I am NOT saying Hi-Viz gear will protect you from the potential danger. Just providing information something you may want to consider before making final decision.)

Some photos of the detail

Rare earth magnet for keeping the collar open / closed. (New for R-3). The magnet is removable.
Can you see the round shape of the magnet ?

Open position (the other side of the collar aslo has magnet, of course. I forgot to open both sides when taking the photos.)

Snap-down collar (New for R-3)

The tall collar is great for cold(er) weather. It can be folded down as the weather warms up.

Back vent

with two-way zipper. And R-3 is unlined, as you can see, it should flow A LOT of air in the summer.

Armpit vents

Now with the zipper pull for easier access. The flap design is refined.

Storm flap (for the main zipper) design is also refined.

“Made in the USA” tag is now inside of the left chest pocket. (the black small pocket is new for R-3).

Carabiner ring for temporarily holding the helmet, house keys, etc. (New for r-3)

Street pants pockets are easily accessible

Clear window pocket on the left arm (optional)

Water-proof zippers
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »

Your review makes me want an R-3!  Angry

That said, I still love my Darien, and after probably about 25K miles, over half in the rain, it has that sought after look of "use".  Grin

I agree on the Hi-Viz comments/advantages as well. People like to say that gear doesn't help, but I disagree. People do seem to see me better in my Hi-Viz stuff.  waytogo There is a reason why many fire departments now paint their trucks a very similar color instead of red...it is more visible in ALL light conditions.

I've also been asked if I was a fireman at east 10 times!  laughingdp
DesmoDiva

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »

Your review makes me want an R-3!  Angry

Same here.

The initial sticker price is probably my largest deterrent.

I agree on the Hi-Viz comments/advantages as well. People like to say that gear doesn't help, but I disagree. People do seem to see me better in my Hi-Viz stuff.  waytogo There is a reason why many fire departments now paint their trucks a very similar color instead of red...it is more visible in ALL light conditions.

Visibility is one of the reasons I love my yellow bikes so much.  The couple times B has ridden them, he also noticed that he seems to be "seen" more than when he is riding his gray bike.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »

Some useful tips and random thoughts ...

Here are some tips and my thoughts on Aerostich suit / products.

When you wear R-3,
DON’T do this ...

or this ...

R-3 has no liner, Gore Tex membrane is on the inside of the shell (suit). Those metal objects with edge / pointy shape will cause the damage.

Some other use of the carabiner ring.

Eliminate the risk of dropping then stepping on your Oakley ... (I don’t wear sunglasses under the helmet, though.)

Or, keep your gloves at gas stop

And one more ...

When you need added warmth, most of you think “fleece”, right ?

For wearing under Roadcrafter (or any motorcycle jacket), I’d recommend something like these.

They are much lighter and far less bulkier. It can be packed real small when not needed. And the best part is, it doesn’t restrict your movement.
(Heavy weight fleece is too thick and don’t compress, so the outer layer gets tight.)

I got mine when it was on sale at REI, I paid $70-something. Another good option is Patagonia Nano Puff.
Don’t get the real down jacket / vest, though. (They offer zero insulation if they get wet.)
http://www.patagonia.com/us/search/Nano%20Puff?src=pkw&netid=2&ps|Google+-+K70|patagonia+nano+puff&gclid=Cj0KEQiA37CnBRChp7e-pM2Mzp0BEiQAlSxQCNHDNchdNUdvZ2AdASG1VRmoQpXjqKnCmuBdPPZWTvcaAjCp8P8HAQ

The comfortable pants to wear underneath the Roadcrafter.

Which one ?

To me, tactical pants are the winner.  Most comfortable in the wide range of temperature, normal looking when taking off the suit.
BDU is also comfortable.
Jeans and Carhart are, ... well,... just too heavy. To be honest, it didn’t bother me that much before trying out different pants options. They are OK in the winter time. When the weather warms up, they are just too hot. And when they get wet, they stay wet for long, long time.

I get my pants from LA police gear when they are on sale. ($20 each).
http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html

The initial sticker price is probably my largest deterrent.

Yup, it’s a pretty big expense. However, consider these fact(s) if you’re interested but put off by the price tag.
(Then you wouldn’t feel that bad, hopefully.)

Your card will not be charged until you receive the suit (from FedEx and sign on).
You know, you don’t have to pay everything up front. ( Especially if you go custom-altered suit. You will have at least 3 weeks.)

Aerostich gear is pretty much the only textile riding gear that’s “repairable”. You get minor get-off, you may be able to keep using the suit. If the suit gets damaged, it can repaired.

Other high end textile gear, while they may offer the same level of protection with (a lot) more “style”, they are, practically, “one time use only”.

Roadcrafter (one piece) is the only gear on the market that combines the high-level protection with the convenience of “put on over the regular cloths and zip, in 15-second “.

Don’t underestimate of the power of the “convenience”. It really does make a big difference in your motorcycling life.

Basically, if the gear is too much of a hassle to put on, you are not going to wear it. Period.
If you have to take off all the clothes that you’re wearing and change into something different every time you get on a bike,
chances are, you are not going to wear all the gear all the time.
“Skip the leather pants, I’m only going  to the other side of the town,... blue jean is suffice ...”
And you know, the majority of the traffic accident (roughly 70 %) happens near your home (within 10 miles).

I am not a fan of kevlar reinforced jeans because of this. Without armor underneath, they don’t offer that much protection.
(though, it is better than regular jeans) BUT,  are you going to take off the pants that you are wearing, put on body armor pants on, then put the kevlar jeans on, every single time you hop on a bike?

One piece Roadcrafter is far more realistic and easier option. Just grab the suit, step in, zip down and you are wearing full armor. In other word, you don’t can’t skip the pants (hip / knee protection).

Triple J
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

Best thing I've found for warmth under the 'stitch...heated jacket. Light, and as warm as you need.  Grin

Price is steep...but 'stitch gear is an investment that will last for years and years, and it flat works as advertised. My buddy cheaped out and bought a First Gear suit a few years back. It was pretty nice...until we went on a road trip and hit a TON of rain. We eventually had to stop at a Wal-Mart so he could buy a plastic rain suit. His supposedly "waterproof" suit had quit being so a couple hours prior, and he was wet and cold. Meanwhile, I was still dry as a bone in my 'stitch. He now has a Roadcrafter.  waytogo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:58:46 PM by Triple J » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »

R-3 suit in warm spring weather.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: