Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 05, 2024, 02:17:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best shim measuring tools  (Read 6473 times)
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« on: July 14, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »

I have slowly been building up the courage to do a valve adjustment (or at least a measurement) and had a couple tool related questions.  It seems that most prefer a micrometer over a caliper.  I checked http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/tools.html and wanted to know why the metric micrometer is so much more expensive than the other one.  Also what does "outside" mean for the micrometer?  In terms of feelers will I need more than one set for the different angles?  Any recommendations welcome.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Hedgehog

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »

I have a 2V SS.  I use both an dial caliper (for closers) and a regular micrometer (for openers).  You also need a measuring tool that fits down inside the closer cavity to measure closers.  In my case, my "tool" is a metal valve stem cap from Ace Hardware that just happens to fit perfectly.  I believe Chris sells all the stuff you need to use, including the tool.  If you watch one of the YouTube videos or look at the various sites that cover it, you'll, see why two different types of measuring tools are used.  Yes, you could do it with only a micrometer, but I prefer the tool that fits the job best.
uclabiker06

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »

In my case, my "tool" is a metal valve stem cap from Ace Hardware that just happens to fit perfectly

waytogo Nice!

I know I have to get the special tool to measure the closer and I have looked at the various sites pertaining to valve clearance.  But I still don't see how a caliper will make it easier to measure the closer as opposed to a micrometer.  I guess I'll just keep on researching it.

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »

waytogo Nice!

I know I have to get the special tool to measure the closer and I have looked at the various sites pertaining to valve clearance.  But I still don't see how a caliper will make it easier to measure the closer as opposed to a micrometer.  I guess I'll just keep on researching it.
I use both; one is really no easier than the other.  The calipers can be a bit quicker to use, but who's in a hurry?  If you get a digital readout you can usually reset zero to compensate for the closer tool, eliminating one step in the math.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
carlosbarrios

04 Monster S4R__________ 74 CB550 Cafe Racer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »

Use a micrometer for both.  Like said before, the closers need the tool, which is just a piece of stock that fits inside the shim.  You want to measure from the surface to the inside of the shim, not to the lip.  The micrometer I have fits inside the opening shim, so it works out great.  A micrometer will give you better repeatability than a caliper.  I did my measurements once, changed shims accordingly, checked clearances, and they were spot on the first time.

uclabiker06

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »

I did my measurements once, changed shims accordingly, checked clearances, and they were spot on the first time.

I guess that means your lucky and good.  Wink

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
scduc

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:42:25 PM »

"outside" refers to measuring on the outside. like solid objects. shims. An inside mic will measure holes, or openings. As far as caliper vs. micrometer. a good caliper should repeat within .001". You have to remember one thing "DO NOT" use it like a C-clamp. fine measuring instruments need to be used with a light touch. Most mic's have either a ratchet or friction thimble. Use these accordingly. You will get an accurate reading by using the light touch and slip method. Meaning that you adjust until movement gets a little tight. you do not want to clamp what you are measuring. If you use a friction thimble, lightly twist and it will slip when you get a good reading. Good luck if you try this. I am a little scared to try mine. Afraid to screw something up.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
Hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »

Good luck if you try this. I am a little scared to try mine. Afraid to screw something up.

What you guys really need is someone who's done it once to hold your hand for your first time.  It's really not all that hard to do; it's just that the consequences are painful if you mess it up.

To learn how to use a micrometer, you might try practicing on a set of feeler gauges.  When you can repeatably get the right reading, you know you're ready to use a mike.  The larger feeler gauges (above .025") will impress on you the need to be able to add multiples of .025".
uclabiker06

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »

a good caliper should repeat within .001"

What do you mean by this??? Sorry but I've never used a caliper before.

What you guys really need is someone who's done it once to hold your hand for your first time.

Will you hold my hand?   Kiss  I think that will be the first and the last time I ever say that to another guy. laughingdp

The larger feeler gauges (above .025") will impress on you the need to be able to add multiples of .025".

GREAT TIP!...about measuring the feelers,  but can you elaborate on why I would need to add in multiples of .025 for the larger gauges.   

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

GREAT TIP!...about measuring the feelers,  but can you elaborate on why I would need to add in multiples of .025 for the larger gauges.

One full turn of the barrel of a micrometer is .025".  There is a mark uncovered for each turn.  The scale is also labeled at each .100".  So, for .168" you would see a .1 label, then two .025 marks, then a 18 on the barrel.  You can't just read it directly unless you have a more expensive digital mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: