Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 05:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagles Canyon Raceway -- Trackday information  (Read 5573 times)
Asia1098

« on: July 15, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »

Since many have inquired about ECR and the coming trackday I'm attending this weekend, I wanted to foward this message from Ridesmart regarding the track. In my opinion, it is quite thorough about describing the new track and what to expect there. I hope to be able to go to more trackdays, but if I don't, I hope this helps everyone on this forum get aquainted with it. It's quite a long message, but the youtube videos are a great asset to anyone wanting to ride this track! Enjoy!! [moto]

Fowarded email:

RIDE SMART Motorcycle School
                        ECR July 19 and 20 Reminder

CONTENTS:

- Please Read This Information Carefully
- Friday night camping
- Eagles Canyon Raceway track drive narrated by Ty Howard
- July 19 and 20 Schedule
- ECR Lap Loop
- Tire Support
- Suspension Support
- Upcoming RS events
- Bike-Cam/DVD
- Directions to ECR
- Bike/Rider Prep
- 2008 schedule

Hi everyone

Hope things are going well for you, your family, your friends and work.

Please drive safely on your way to the track. If you have any questions please email me at ridesmart@mac.com, or 512 469 9491 cell 512 689 9875.

Please Read This Information Carefully.

There are no power outlets in the paddock area. So if you intend to use tire warmers or fans - it will be necessary that you bring your own generator.
  There are no covered pit areas at this time.
  They currently have hard packed crushed concrete in the pit area and it is recommended to bring a small piece of plywood or carpet to place under your kick-stand for support.
 Directions: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/fort+worth+tx/slidell+tx/
  If this is your first time driving to ECR, i strongly recommend that you study this map before heading out to the track. From this mapquest link, you can see two basic routs to the track. From Fort Worth, up 81 to Decatur and then up 51 twelve miles with the track appearing on you left. Or you can head up 35 to Sanger and take highway 455 to 51 and turn left onto 51 with the track being 1/2 mile south and on your right.  If you get lost, you can call me 512 689 9875.

Friday Night Camping at ECR

Gates open at 6:00 pm Friday evening and close at 12 pm. We have made special arrangements with Eagles Canyon to keep the gates open Friday July 18 until 12 pm. Please schedule enough time to allow yourself to get there and take my cell number to call if your running late. 512 689 9875

Ride Smart will provide free hamburgers and hotdogs Friday evening and everyone is welcome. Fort Worth Motorcycle Riders will be providing a lunch of hot dogs, hamburgers, and potato salad Saturday and Sunday.  And Cycle Gear of Plano, Bedford, and Fort Worth will be providing hamburgers, hot dogs, and potato salad for dinner on Saturday.

Shower and restroom will be available. However, please make an extra special effort to keep the restrooms and facilities clean.

We ask each of you to police your own area throughout the evening and day and please pick up any trash in your immediate area and place it in the nearest trash-can. Please double check your area before leaving Saturday to be sure that our school creates a positive experience with track management by being respectful and clean in regards to their facility.

VIDEO Narrated by Ty Howard: ECR Track Drive. Please Watch All Three!!!

Here are the web links to the Eagles Canyon Raceway track drive narrated by Ty Howard.  This is a must see and hear!  Ty shares his personal insights on the line, off camber, run-off areas, blind spots, etc. of this new and exciting track.  If at all possible do yourself a big favor and watch and listen to each of these 8 minute segments of video.  If the addresses below do not appear as links, just copy and paste into your browser.

Part One:
Part Two:
Part Three:

ECR Lap Loop Link

(Please note that the following footage was taken over 1 year ago - well before the curbing was put in and before removing many of the mounds of dirt seen in this footage.)

July 19 and 20

6 a.m  gates open
6:30    Registration and Tech Open
7:00    Track Drive  – Don’t miss it!!
7:40    Riders Meeting
8:00    Level 3 & 4 on track (both groups on track at the same time). Levels 1 & 2 to class.
8:20    Level 2  - on track for 20 minutes followed by 30 minutes in class.
8:40    Level 1 - on track for 20 minutes followed by 30 minutes in class.
9:00    Repetition of the 20 minute on track riding cycle - Levels 3&4, 2 and 1 – throughout the day until track closes at 6:00 p.m.

Tire Support

Greg Fowler will provide tire support and will have some great Michelin Tire deals. For more information, contact Greg at: shop 817 306 7117 or you can text message Greg at 817 308 7867.

Suspension Support

Roger Albert of OnRoad OffRoad will be setting up suspension Saturday and Sunday. If you haven't had Roger check out your suspension setup,
          you are really missing a great opportunity. Virtually everyone that has had Roger set up their suspension has mentioned to me the handling factor
          improved like night and day.  Feel free to email Roger at oror@austin.rr.com and set up and appointment with him.

The Ride Smart Lineup For Our Next Two Events:

August 10: After Eagles Canyon, we head back to Motorsport Ranch Cresson.  We will be riding the original
       1.7 mile track counter-clockwise.  Come on out and ride!      

August 16 and 17: Then, join us for another Ride Smart weekend special with our friends Dave and Linda Cook at Eagles Canyon Raceway in Slidell.  We are again offering rock bottom rates of $100 per day.  Come on out and enjoy the new Texas track that everyone is talking about!

To register just click here.

https://www.ridesmart.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?RideSmart

Bike Cam/DVD

Ride smart is now offering bike cam footage of your on-track riding for only $25. There are several reasons that make this footage useful and a great value:
1. The instructor records your riding on digital camcorder and feedback on where to improve your line.
2. The camera records your body position and movement.
3. You have all the other students to compare your line and body position.
4. You have a documentary for the day.
5. We include track-side footage
6. Interviews including riders and Smoothest Rider contest winners.
7. The footage is also used in the classroom as an instructing tool.
8. It is a great documentary for the event.

“The DVD footage was great I really saw where my lines were off. I also got a good idea of my lean angle and body positioning. So I could learn how to improve both of them. In my opinion it was the best $25 I have ever spent and I got some cool stuff to show my friends” SL

Directions to ECR:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/fort+worth+tx/slidell+tx/

Bike Prep

Coolant: Antifreeze Allowed Yes
Headlight and Taillight: Tape or remove Yes
License Plate: Remove No
Mirrors and Signals: Tape or remove Yes
Safety Wire: Not required
Side stand: Remove, safety wire, zip tie? No
Tires: % tread depth required? 50%

Rider Prep

Back Protector: Highly Recommended
Boots: Leather at least 3” above the ankles Yes
Gloves: Motorcycle specific, either leather or comparable Cordura or Kevlar Yes
Helmet: Full face, Snell or European equivalent, undamaged. Yes
Riding Suit: One- or two-piece leather or Cordura. Two-piece must zip together. Yes
Please bring your registration receipt or your order confirmation number to make your registration experience smooth.

RIDE SMART “08” SCHEDULE

Monday
05/05/08
Eagles Canyon Raceway Slidell, TX
Original Track 2.5 mile
Counter Clockwise

Monday (RIDE SMART’S TWS Annual Memorial Day Event!!)
05/26/08
Texas World Speedway College Station TX
Original Track 2.9 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
06/07/08
MotorSport Ranch Cresson, TX
Both Tracks 3.1 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
06/21/08
Original Track 2.9 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
07/19/08
Original Track 2.5 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
07/20/08
Original Track 2.5 mile
Counter Clockwise

Sunday
08/10/08
Original Track 1.7 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
08/16/08
Original Track 2.5 mile
Counter Clockwise

Sunday
08/17/08
Original Track 2.5 mile
Counter Clockwise

Monday (RIDE SMART’S TWS Annual Labor Day Event!!)
09/01/08
Original Track 2.9 mile
Counter Clockwise

Sunday
09/14/08
Original Track 1.7 mile
Counter Clockwise

Saturday
09/27/08
Original Track 2.9 mile
Counter Clockwise

Sunday
10/05/08
Original Track 1.7 mile
Counter Clockwise

Sunday
11/09/08
Original Track 1.7 mile
Counter Clockwise

Thanks again everyone for your continuous support
                  from all of us at Ride Smart.

“Be a Better Rider”

------ End of Forwarded Message

Barry
I liked my Hondas, but I loooooved my DUC!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet in Ashalt....again.
2007 Ducati 1098 Smiley---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda VFR 800i---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda CBR 600rr---SOLD!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet yellow---SOLD!!!
Failure is success if we learn from it.
sdlrodeo

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »

I spoke to David Wonders from Ridesmart this morning. Really nice guy. I had some questions for David about the Aug 10th trackday. When I told him about Barry's post, he was pleasantly suprised (presumably at the free advertising/spreading of info). Needless to say, he was pretty glad Barry posted that letter. He asked right away if I had watched the videos of Ty Howard. I said they didn't come up in the post. He requested that I put the links up so here they are. Again, nice guy. If you have never done track days, you are SOOOOOO missing out. Ducs like going fast!

I will say, these videos are more of a lecture series. But a lecture series from a REALLY fast racer. I had the oportunity to be on the track at the same time as Ty. I thought I was going fast (granted, it was my first track day) until he passed me as if I were standing still. Pretty neat.

Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YBwJtoj2K74
Part 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CPc5Q0_yMYw
Part 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lGNL6M846Ic

Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
sdlrodeo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:46:32 AM »

Funny, when I first saw Barry's post, the links didn't come up. Now they do. Weird. Sorry for the duplicate.
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
Asia1098

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »

Sometimes free advertising can get you brownie points.  Wink Hmmmm. Maybe he'll let me ride free next time....NOT!!   LOL Grin Actually, I rather enjoy passing the information to others so they can ride with me.

Here's some sad news. I have someone that is seriously thinking about purchasing my 1098. He's supposedly comming from Mississippi with Cash in hand.  I hope he doesn't get here before the trackday! [moto] hehehe......

Barry
fastwin
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »

Sorry and good luck at the same time on the sale. If it happens at least you have that sweet VFR for a ride. Great scooters! If only they'd dump the variable valve train thing. It doesn't need it. Loved that semi-anniversary red/white/blue number in last years line up. A tribute to the killer 1986 VFR. I'd trade my 1986 GSXR750 for an '86 VFR in that flavor in a heart beat. waytogo [moto]
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »

Loved that semi-anniversary red/white/blue number in last years line up. A tribute to the killer 1986 VFR.

me too...  http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/753343471.html

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:36 AM »

Who makes that?!? Grin

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Asia1098

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »

I know! I really like that colour scheme too, but I'm sure gonna miss the Duc. The guy called me and said he's driving here Sunday night or Monday. Guess I can look at the bright side......there are more Ducs to buy out there in the future. hehehe...... Evil

Barry
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »

I know! I really like that colour scheme too, but I'm sure gonna miss the Duc. The guy called me and said he's driving here Sunday night or Monday. Guess I can look at the bright side......there are more Ducs to buy out there in the future. hehehe...... Evil

So, are you tracking the 1098 Saturday?!?

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Asia1098

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

So, are you tracking the 1098 Saturday?!?

Well, that's my dilema. I don't know yet. I guess it depends on how badly the guy wants the bike and if he is really going to push through with this deal. I don't mind taking either bike....as long as I have one to ride.

Barry
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »

There was a story recently of a guy that had a buyer for his bike coming and he (the owner) took the bike out for one last spin.  Sure enough he totaled the bike.  Wash the bike, park it in the garage, cover it and stand back.  Don't touch it until it's sold.  Take the VFR to the track.

Next week, buy a Sport Classic.  Leave it at my house.  We won't tell the wife.  A few months from now, bring it home and tell her a friend gave it to you. 

Hey, it could happen. 

Just leave the keys with me.  I'll keep the battery charged.  Grin

cdc
Asia1098

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

There was a story recently of a guy that had a buyer for his bike coming and he (the owner) took the bike out for one last spin.  Sure enough he totaled the bike.  Wash the bike, park it in the garage, cover it and stand back.  Don't touch it until it's sold.  Take the VFR to the track.

Next week, buy a Sport Classic.  Leave it at my house.  We won't tell the wife.  A few months from now, bring it home and tell her a friend gave it to you. 

Hey, it could happen. 

Just leave the keys with me.  I'll keep the battery charged.  Grin

cdc

Us Pinoys really do think alike. I was actually going to do that.....less the Sport Classic. I just wanted someone to tell me..hehehe....though taking it to the track is very, very tempting. Grin
I hope this guy isn't pully my leg. He mentioned that he just retired and sounds like he knows what he wants. I've sent him pictures of the bike when it was damaged and he seems to be fine with it. He said money was not a problem.....so should I raise the price just for him? Evil hehehe.....

Barry
Red5

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »

Here's another video of being on ECR at speed.  Shot from a car's perspective, but it has a heads-up display on the lower right corner that tells where you are on the track.

I will say, these videos are more of a lecture series. But a lecture series from a REALLY fast racer. I had the oportunity to be on the track at the same time as Ty. I thought I was going fast (granted, it was my first track day) until he passed me as if I were standing still. Pretty neat.

If you ever had the opportunity to follow (or remotely tried to  Roll Eyes) the lines of pro racers like Howard, John Haner, or Larry Myers while they're instructing out at the track, you'll realize just how wicked fast these guys are going.

For an additional $50, Ty Howard's race school with RS is a great bargain.

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
'03 CBR600RR (track bike)
RichD

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »

...If you ever had the opportunity to follow (or remotely tried to  Roll Eyes) the lines of pro racers like Howard, John Haner, or Larry Myers while they're instructing out at the track, you'll realize just how wicked fast these guys are going...

There was some guy... What was his name?  Schwantz?  ...Yeah, something like that...  on that track the day I rode there.
He was going pretty good.  Riding a 1098R ...that I heard was a BORROWED bike
(boy if I had a 1098R I don't know I would loan it out to someone who rode that hard) 
...but anyway, dude... like... passed me. 

Hey, I was on my Yellow Duc.

Yellow bikes are faster.  He shoulda' respected that.   Grin
I mean DAMN... they don't call it a SUPER Sport for nothin'.

laughingdp
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:04:51 PM by SUPER POOPER » Logged

DFW-MFer!
Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

There was some guy... What was his name?  Schwantz?  ...Yeah, something like that...  on that track the day I rode there.
He was going pretty good.  Riding a 1098R ...that I heard was a BORROWED bike
(boy if I had a 1098R I don't know I would loan it out to someone who rode that hard) 
...but anyway, dude... like... passed me. 

Hey, I was on my Yellow Duc.

Yellow bikes are faster.  He shoulda' respected that.   Grin
I mean DAMN... they don't call it a SUPER Sport for nothin'.

laughingdp

Actually Kevin rode Jeff's Personal Desmosedici and Kevin's Friend rode the 1098R

it's a fun truck but you got to have something fast there, two long straights and a few more short ones with some crazy elevation turns. this is the most fun track ever rode till now.. chug

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: