Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 05, 2024, 08:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headlight mod - a little help?  (Read 2750 times)
Wanwo

« on: July 16, 2008, 08:31:29 AM »

During the day I want to be able to ride with my headlight off.

Is it as easy as clipping my low beam wire? Think it'll work? I want to turn my rocker switch from Lo - Hi to Off - Hi.

Of course I'll still get the tail and the dash lights going all the time. So if anyone's got knowledge about how to give them the same treatment I'd be happy to hear it.
evoasis

I lost my Titanium Member

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »

I'd get an extra harness (20.00 or so USD on EBay) and cut into that... however, modding the headlight is mucho easy, I spliced an Acerbis Cyclope into my bike and it hasn't let me down in over a year now..

Christopher

I guess there are good and bad mods; you'll find the good ones here Wink
DarkStaR

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »

Get a euro style switch.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/elec.html

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:19:06 AM by DarkStaR » Logged

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »

i know this is not a helpful question, but i am curious...
why would you want to ride with the headlight off by choice?

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »

There are two reasons I can think of.  One is starting on a cold winter day.  The few amps you save by having the headlight off may be just enough to get you started.  The other reason is if you need to limp home with a poorly functioning charging system.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

There are two reasons I can think of.  One is starting on a cold winter day.  The few amps you save by having the headlight off may be just enough to get you started.  The other reason is if you need to limp home with a poorly functioning charging system.

The first one is fairly common. Most people just put a switch that kills the power to the lights, and you throw it on after you bike is warmed up. If you want to kill your lo beam, yes you can just snip the wire for the low beam, and it will always be off. I never run low beams when i had halogens so if ur the same way, this would be the cheapest way to go. Alternatively, you can buy a switch from radio shack that you can hide in the headlight. So if you ever did want the low beam back on, just leave it in the on position for hte summer time, and off in the winter.

The second is something you should fix, if its a new alternator, or a new regulator, or battery etc just get it done becasue stuff like that can leave you stranded.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Smitty

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »

Your right hand switch part is number is 650.4.008.1B  the euro part is 650.4.008.1A  .
 As soon as I can figure how to post a picture I will. I have already done this to my bike.

Tim
Wanwo

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »

Thx Smitty, I'd be happy to get a pic.

What I haven't figured out is do the Euro style switches allow you to turn off the 'parking lights' (tail and dash lights) while the bike is running? I know the Euro monsters would, but I believe the U.S. monsters have a separate circuit for the parking lights, so installing the Euro switch, while giving you control of the headlight, wouldn't give you on/off control of the other lights. Not sure.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17:38 PM »

my headlight only has 3 wires, I wonder if a guy could run them through a relay so if it's hooked to a toggle or rocker switch (master on/off) it would save a lot of splicing instead of getting  euro switchgear.

I know Indiana law states that the headlight must be functional at all times and must be on at all times IIRC.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
WTSDS

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:03 AM »

I like to be able to choose when to have the headlight on. In Oz we had a hardwired headlight law but it was overturned on evidence showing lights on can make a motorcycle invisible under some circumstances.

Wot I did was cut the wire to lo-beam inside the headlight shell, added a couple of wires going to a switch mounted on the handlebar. I also cut the parking light wire, and taped it over, i.e., no parking light. Dunno why but before that wire was cut the high-beam indicator light stayed lit all the time.

If ever I get done for not having a parking light so be it.

The flasher and highbeam are unchanged

This didn't change the taillight, I'm happy if that's always on.

2000 Monster Dark 900 ie   Stock except for low Staintunes and a centrestand. 15:39 sprockets make for excellent highway gearing
Dents

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »

There is nothing like riding your motorcycle on a warm night with the only light coming from a full moon.  I had a 72 honda that would allow me to shut the lights off.  I've wanted to install a switch myself to have this experience again.

99'S M900 Technomagnesio rear, Marvic Front, SBK Forks, CC Triple and Risers, Road Racing Tach, Nichols Flywheel, Carbon Creations Tail unit, CF rear hugger, CF SBK Front Fender
Smitty

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »

Sorry about the delay. Yes it works with the motor on the euro part has a switch where the blank in your right handle control is now.
position 1   off
            2   parking,  dash, plate  and tail
            3   headlight , dash plate and tail
With the parking light the flash to pass still works.

Tim
Wanwo

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »

Got it. Well, I'm just going to take the easy route for now and snip the low beam wire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: