Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 08:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Trip from Brisbane to Sydney  (Read 6464 times)
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« on: December 14, 2015, 01:14:57 AM »

Making the trek from Brisbane to Sydney this weekend assuming the weather holds for the next couple of days. Called for rain but hasn't shown, this will likely be the weekend it does.......

So this is my plan:
   - Fly to Brisbane on Thursday morning;
   - Take A7 out of Brisbane to HWY 13
   - Take HWY 13 to Beaudesert
   - Take Beaudesert to Nerang
   - Take Nerang Route 90 to Mulwillumbah
   - Catch 201 South to Sawtell
   - Take HWY 1 @ Sawtell to Port Macquarie
   - Take Oxley Highway to the A15 in Bendemeer
   - Take A15 to Denman
   - Take B84 in Denman to B82 in North Rothbury
   - Tske B82 to M1 Near Freeman's Waterhole
   - M1 to Sydney

Does this route seem too crazy or ambitious for 3 days or so? Hoping to just have a lot of fun exploring and meet some great people along the way.

Open to other road going suggestions or info about any of the roads I've picked to take.

Loving Australia!!

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:19:20 AM »

Wow. Goodonya Titan. You should take a week off and ride down to Melb. A day each way and a few to explore Vic.
The NSW and QLD members should have good suggestions for roads and adventure. I wonder if Needle99 and Scoober1103 have done this ride.

2015 Scrambler 800
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:37:02 AM »

Melb is on my list for a min of two visits. One to hang out with you and get a personal tour of the best roads in Southern Australia the other will def. be for the GP. With Stoner back in the camp, PI should be exciting with a large Ducati presence.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:56:50 AM »

You're always welcome. chug

2015 Scrambler 800
rendang

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:53 AM »

I can't comment much on QLD or Northern NSW but I think the Oxley Hwy is about the best in NSW outside of the Snowy Mountains, however the best of it ends before you reach Walcha. I would suggest turning left at Walcha and head down to Gloucester via the Thunderbolts Way, its a bit of a goat track in places compared to the Oxley but really spectacular scenery, rugged country, much more fun than the Oxley west of Walcha. From Gloucester depending on how much time you have left there are several alternatives, you could continue down the Bucketts Way/Pacific Hwy to get home quick or cut thru Dungog and Singleton onto your original route.   Good luck !  Will be a great ride !

S2R800,    0    , 750 GT, Rickman Honda, 450 'Silver Shotgun", 750 Sport, 250 Mark 3, Kwaka 500 triple.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:27 AM »

How you getting along with the wrong-side-of-the-road?  Making sense of it I hope  waytogo

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:43:28 AM »

getting used to it. It was rough go at first. Making turns is the hardest part at first and roundabouts. But getting the hang of it.

Fraser's is right up the street from my place. Gotta find me a good mechanic. They dont seem like the type I'd let touch my bike. "We tend to use only genuine Ducati and Termi parts. We dont much like working on modified motorcycles...."

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:50:04 AM »

This any help?

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=42737.0

I can personally vouch for the goodness of Brad Black, but not so convenient for a Sydney resident. 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:15:30 AM »

This any help?

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=42737.0

I can personally vouch for the goodness of Brad Black, but not so convenient for a Sydney resident. 

thx Ung.

Needle99

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 03:24:58 AM »

Hi Titan,

When you say 90 from Nerang, you mean down the 97 around Hinze Dam?
That road is one of our favourites around the area.
I would probably not go to Beaudesert, I would head up and over Mt Tamborine. You could always do both I guess.
If there is a heavy Police presence we sometimes do the easier run along Route 90 to Canungra and then from there around to the 97 (taking a shortcut along Claigaraba Rd)
Plenty of coffee shops in Canungra and on the weekends quite often a good spot to sit and bike watch. Tony that is the Coffee shop we went to when you were up.

Given you are flying into Brisbane I assume you are hiring a car and driving rather than riding?

2004 S4R, Full Termi Kit, marving midpipe, DP Clutch pressure plate, Rizoma Open Clutch Cover,  Ducabike Slave Cyl and some tasteful carbon blingy goodness
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Hi Titan,

When you say 90 from Nerang, you mean down the 97 around Hinze Dam?
That road is one of our favourites around the area.
I would probably not go to Beaudesert, I would head up and over Mt Tamborine. You could always do both I guess.
If there is a heavy Police presence we sometimes do the easier run along Route 90 to Canungra and then from there around to the 97 (taking a shortcut along Claigaraba Rd)
Plenty of coffee shops in Canungra and on the weekends quite often a good spot to sit and bike watch. Tony that is the Coffee shop we went to when you were up.

Given you are flying into Brisbane I assume you are hiring a car and driving rather than riding?

Riding down on the Duc.....Should be epic! popcorn

garryc

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 02:48:17 AM »

So many roads so little time.
Great stretches.
Glenn Innes to Grafton via Gwyder H'Way.
Grafton to Coffs via Nymboida and Dorrigo(Waterfall way)
Walcha to Port Macquarie via Oxley H'Way.
Taree to Buladelah via Lakes way or M1 with detour via Wooton bends.
Gloucester to Raymond Terrace via Stroud Dungog.

I would probably dodge the Sawtell Port Macquarie section if I could. Heaps of road works, traffic, police and very little scenery unless you detour in to the little coastal towns which have spectacular beaches but probably need more time.
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

So many roads so little time.
Great stretches.
Glenn Innes to Grafton via Gwyder H'Way.
Grafton to Coffs via Nymboida and Dorrigo(Waterfall way)
Walcha to Port Macquarie via Oxley H'Way.
Taree to Buladelah via Lakes way or M1 with detour via Wooton bends.
Gloucester to Raymond Terrace via Stroud Dungog.

I would probably dodge the Sawtell Port Macquarie section if I could. Heaps of road works, traffic, police and very little scenery unless you detour in to the little coastal towns which have spectacular beaches but probably need more time.

So finally was able to pick up my Monster in Brisbane on Christmas Eve and immediately got on the road to see how far I could get before settling for the night. Simply put the roads were amazing.......Each and every single one of them had something memorable about it.

Things saved to the memory bank:

1) It without fail will rain during part of the ride. Cant count hte number of mountain passes that either started or ended with a brief rain shower.
2) Every mountain pass has epic views of the lowlands and are a thrill to ride. The sections that climb via nice sweeping corners to the tight and twisty stuff on the decent.
3) The way the roads are done in some spots you can see the next 5-6 corners. It's fantastic  Dolph applause
4) Cows, sheep and horses galore.
5) Heed the signs steep decents, bumpy roads, etc. They're there for a reason.
6) People are super friendly; talked about the coppers with a blok on a Harley outside Newcastle, rode with a couple on two Aprilia RSV4 Tourna up through the Newcastle, the PCH
7) Know your bike - gas spots are infrequent up there, so knowing you have enough from point a to b is critical.

Can't wait to do it again soon. thanks for all the help. The road suggestions made my trip easy and unforgetable

Andy55 and I are meeting up for a ride on Sunday if anyone is game. Location TBD

Needle99

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 02:23:55 AM »

Glad you and the bike are safely reunited in Sydney.
Good to hear you enjoyed the ride.  waytogo

2004 S4R, Full Termi Kit, marving midpipe, DP Clutch pressure plate, Rizoma Open Clutch Cover,  Ducabike Slave Cyl and some tasteful carbon blingy goodness
TitanMonsterS4R

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 03:21:24 AM »

Glad you and the bike are safely reunited in Sydney.
Good to hear you enjoyed the ride.  waytogo

Thanks Craig. Had it been a different time, I would have loved to meet up and get to see Brisbane.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: