Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 05, 2024, 08:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have an extra 2V Valve cover sitting around?  (Read 1317 times)
EEL

« on: July 17, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »

I had an idea a couple of days ago.If I took an existing valve cover and made a cookie cutter kind of mold out of it, I could make valve cover gaskets out of normal material for eternity. Anyone got one sitting around that I could steal for a couple of weeks?

I'm in the bay area. I'm thinking this could easily be done with some sheet metal. I dont know if anyone's done it before but I dont think it would be too hard.
metallimonster

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »

Why would you want to?
I just bought a set from the dealership and they were $4.00.

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
EEL

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »

cuz I'm always looking for ways to make my maintenance expenses lower or in some situations, satisfy my laziness.

Hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:19:18 PM »

cuz I'm always looking for ways to make my maintenance expenses lower or in some situations, satisfy my laziness.

Get some gasket material from Ace Hardware.  Use RTV sealant to "glue" it to your valve cover.  While holding it down, cut out the perimeter with an Xacto knife.  Turn it over and carefully cut out the inside with an Xacto knife.  Put Hylomar on the gasket surface and put it on your bike.  Can't be more than a couple bucks for the gasket material.  I reuse the valve cover gaskets on my '94 SS by using Hylomar rather than some hardening gasket sealant.  I just did the 4th shim change and I think I've only ever changed 2 gaskets.

An alternative is to put grease on your valve cover and press it to the gasket material.  Then cut away anything that doesn't have grease on it.

There's another way using a ball peen hammer, but if I post it, someone will bang up a perfectly good valve cover and blame me for it.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

Or you could get the new stamped steel gaskets, and re-use 'em nearly for eternity.  Wink

And as an added bonus, no scraping of glued-on gaskets ever again.  waytogo

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »

Or you could get the new stamped steel gaskets, and re-use 'em nearly for eternity.  Wink

And as an added bonus, no scraping of glued-on gaskets ever again.  waytogo

Yeah, I got those once and threw them away.  Don't like them.  With Hylomar there's no scraping, ever.  Stuff's kinda nasty though.  Smiley
EEL

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »

I got those stamped steel ones but they have this raised ring that presses down after being used. I tried using them again but they leaked a bit of oil..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: