Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning while in a wheelie  (Read 6022 times)
Howley

« on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »

I'm getting into longer wheelies, working on shifting into third while I'm up, and was wondering how to go about turning while you're up. I'm not talking taking corners, just correcting and keeping in a straight line.

How is it done?
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:04:17 AM »

I can't help you, but I am going to chime in here and say to those about to post anything but answers here please don't.   He asked a question.  If you know the answer help him out.  If you want to slam him and make squid comments just save it.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:32:45 AM »

I am by far no expert...the spinning front wheel still acts as a gyroscope (even when it is off the ground) so if you do the regular counter steer thing it would still lean the bike which allow you to correct your line.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »

are you powering through the wheelies? Im still trying to keep them up in a constant gear right now. but i kinda have to do it in 1st. 2nd gear is too hard on the bike to get the front up. 3rd is impossible without bouncing it.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »

Nice pro-active moderation Statler!

and....I don't/can't wheelie a motorcycle - but on a bicycle (bit of a weight difference!) tilting the hips effects the tracking of the bike....safest way to change the weighting of the vehicle....similar to track stands...rookie's see-saw the front wheel back and forth, whilst good guys rock their hips and the bike underneath them.
meano_lover

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

i concur with spider. while wheely-ing a bicycle is much different than a motorbike, the same characteristics are there.

'97 m900; stage 2 carbs, filter pods, remus carbon exhaust
derby

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

you steer by shifting your weight to one side or the other. it doesn't take much to make a correction.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
derby

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

I saw Jason Perez one time starting from the last row at a WSMC race after a brief hiatus in early 2005.  He wheelied off the start and weaved through a field of 20 riders all the while carrying the front wheel 2 feet off the ground.  By the time his front wheel touched down and the pack entered turn one he was in fourth place.  I think he won that race.

Obviously, it's possible.  I'm sorry I can't actually tell you how it's done.  Just thought you guys might get a kick out of this story.

-R.

i think i remember seeing a video of that start. it was pretty impressive.  waytogo

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Tommy T.

Hanging Out in the Swamp in Deep East Texas

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »

you steer by shifting your weight to one side or the other. it doesn't take much to make a correction.

Re-read that.  It REALLY doesn't take much correction to keep a straight line.  And, if you over do it, it is very, very difficult to re-establish equalibrium.  Controlled turns need very gentle inputs to establish a line and to get back out of one without entering a death spiral.

In fact, I've never been able to get out of a turn without putting the front wheel back down.  It is the case that setting the wheel down has no nasty surprises and reestablishes normal control at once if you keep a light touch on the bars and let them find the angle of the turn before you do anything else.

Mind you, I'm speaking strictly from the perspective of a mountain and free-style bicylcle rider.  I've done one accidental wheelie on my Monster and I sat it back down as quickly as I remembered what I should do.

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:58:56 AM by Tommy T. » Logged
Howley

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:18:03 PM »

Thanks guys, and Statler for the clever moderation. I'll have to practice. I'm not a squid, I always ride with gear and only do wheelies when there is no traffic around.
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »

Watch this guy, saw him at a local bike show.

oh yeah, the smarta$$ can do it on a monster too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWpXKu2r5VM&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:03:35 PM by brimo » Logged

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
Tommy T.

Hanging Out in the Swamp in Deep East Texas

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:02:35 AM »

oh yeah, the smarta$$ can do it on a monster too

Oh, I do a lot better than him.  (At least in terms of rear tire tread mileage.)

truckinduc

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »

its similar to a bicycle. You shift your weight, mostly at your hips. Put more weight on the footpeg in the direction you want to go. Once you start to change directions, it is very important to shift weight back to the other side and other footpeg. Unless you just want to continue going the direction you just turned. The faster you go, the slower you can change directions. I would recomend doing it on a dirtbike before trying it on a big bike.
mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »

its similar to a bicycle. You shift your weight, mostly at your hips. Put more weight on the footpeg in the direction you want to go. Once you start to change directions, it is very important to shift weight back to the other side and other footpeg. Unless you just want to continue going the direction you just turned. The faster you go, the slower you can change directions. I would recomend doing it on a dirtbike before trying it on a big bike.

In terms of basic physics the simple weight shift should work.  As the rear tire does have plenty of curvature a simple lean off dead center should cause a good amount of turning.  Can't imagine it takes much to get a good turn, or to much of one Grin

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
S4ROB

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »

Just like this guy Grin

"Guns. You think you have enough, until the ZOMBIES come."
Gunslinger's Journal
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: