Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 02:18:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is my oil going?  (Read 2811 times)
metallimonster

« on: July 18, 2008, 04:21:16 AM »

So I have on 02 620 and I noticed today that the oil was low. (Barely to the sight glass).  I added a little bit and took off for work.  The oil level is fine now but I know for sure about a 2 weeks ago there was more than enough oil in it.  I can't find any leaks in or around the motor and there are NEVER drips on the floor.  I don't smell oil in the exhaust at any time and never smell burning oil coming off the pipes themselves.  The only thing I can see is that there is a streak of oi coming from the fill plug like it is leaking but I can't imagine that it would be enough to notice in the sight glass.
Anyone got any ideas?  Also, what is the best replacement for my fill plug?

By the way, I am putting an oil cooler on it tonight so once I change the oil and know exactly where the oil level is I will be checking it constantly to make sure there is a consumption/leak problem.

Thanks in advance.

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:57:46 AM »

Bet you only put a few ounces in to bring it up to level.  All engines consume some oil. 
metallimonster

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:03:46 AM »

Yeah, it needed less than a quarter of a quart but I know it was above the marks about 4 or 5 days ago so it just seemed like a rapid amount of consumption.  Once I get this oil cooler on I am going to watch it like a hawk to make sure I am just not crazy.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:07:48 AM »

If you use a lot of throttle....

check your airbox.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

metallimonster

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:50 AM »

If you use a lot of throttle....

check your airbox.
Really, my airbox?  How would it get up there?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »

Really, my airbox?  How would it get up there?
It's connected through the breather.

Large throttle openings create more crankcase pressure if the rings aren't perfect.

The oil mist is supposed to condense in the tank that is in the system midway, but my 900 when ridden hard will get a coating of oil mist inside the airbox.

It's not really an issue IMO.

Your consumption isn't excessive.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

metallimonster

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 05:43:57 AM »

I'm going to check that at lunch.  Makes a lot of sense.  Yeah it is probably not excessive plus the cooler operating temps with the cooler might help to.  I am losing some out of the fill plug so I just ordered a billet one from monster parts for 20 bones. 

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »

I'm going to check that at lunch.  Makes a lot of sense.  Yeah it is probably not excessive plus the cooler operating temps with the cooler might help to.  I am losing some out of the fill plug so I just ordered a billet one from monster parts for 20 bones. 

It didn't seem like much was lost, by what was evident on the outside when it was leaking thru the sending unit and filler, but the oil level would drop within a couple week period on mine also. By stopping that with the better billet unit, it might slow your loss more than you think.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
metallimonster

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »

Thanks printman,  I did a very thorough inspection during my oil cooler install and also cleaned all of the engine with brake clean to get all the old oil.   When I got back from my test ride to make sure the install was sound there was already a trail coming out of the fill plug and also I didn't have the filter on tight enough ( if there is such a thing as tight enough on these bikes).  The plastic plug is stripped so I can't wait to get the billet plug on to see if it stops the leakage.

Hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »

When I got back from my test ride to make sure the install was sound there was already a trail coming out of the fill plug and also I didn't have the filter on tight enough ( if there is such a thing as tight enough on these bikes).  The plastic plug is stripped so I can't wait to get the billet plug on to see if it stops the leakage.

This is confusing.  How did you manage to strip the fill plug?  It's the o-ring on the fill plug that holds the oil in, not the fact that you can (if you want) tighten the fill plug with a vice grip.  Hand tight only, please.

There's also the issue of the filter being tight enough.  How are you tightening it?  With a ratchet or breaker bar?  If that's the case, it's probably over-tightened, and leaking as a result of that.  All you need to do is spin it on until the seal touches, and then hand tighten it (about 3/4 turn) from there.  You should have wetted the o-ring in the filter with oil before putting it on.
metallimonster

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »

First off the oil fill plug was stripped when I bought the bike- Plastic threads going into aluminum case does not make since to me.  I understand the o-ring seals it but it IS leaking from the fill plug. So something must be wrong with it.  The threads in the case are fine so it must be the plug.

Second, I am a ASE certified mechanic so I think I can screw on an oil filter the right way.  I lubed the gasket before I put the filter on and hand tightened it and it had a small drip of oil after my test ride, so I turned it a little farther by hand.  I have been told by numerous members here that they have had the same problem and making sure the filter was on tight took care of the drip.  The last time I changed my oil it did the same thing until I tightened it with a strap wrench and then it stopped.  I'm guessing the vibrations of the v-twin cause the filter to come loose.

BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

I had to give my filter the same treatment.....hand tighten....ride.......tighten more.....ride......tighten.....finally put the ratchet on it and it has slowed it down to near nothing after a long ride(slight residue on clean rag), but I am afraid to torque it further.  This amount of loss is manageable for me.

M-ROCin' it!!!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »

The oil filter is suposed to be torqued to 16-17 nm, depending on manual, which is more than hand tight for most of us.
J.P.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »

+1 w/ HK- ended up ditching the new oem for a K&N to put a socket on it- actually got the leak stopped!(after tweaking it up 5-6 times).
Also oil level seems to fluctuate between rides- by as much as almost the whole sight glass scale on mine. Haven't figured that out, but I kinda leave it on the low end of the scale, only add alittle if it goes below that.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: