Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 04:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concealed Carry (CHL), anyone?  (Read 8371 times)
never2loud
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »

As requested, a new thread discussing DFWM members and their handgun ownership;

So what's the deal with getting a Concealed Handgun License?  Does anyone here have one and what all was involved?  Was/is it worth it?

We've got two handguns that we were big into about 13 years ago (put 'em totally "away" when Sam was born); now Alan and I are interested in getting back into the "hobby."

Any help/advice with a CHL would be appreciated.  I also was wondering if Kevin or somebody could follow-up on a firing range day for the other gun-toting DFWM folks who may be interested  Grin
Calibretto

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »

Carry Conceal License requires a background check and generally you have to go to you're local court house, submit the papers and finger prints for identification. They then send the information to do a background check on you and once that is approved, it must be signed by commissioner/judge and then you're good to go.

It also depends on what you want to do exactly. In some states you can carry open as long as it's holstered and visable, a license may not be required. And it may or may not be required to carry in you're vehicle.

Check with you're local branch to find out exactly whats needed. In the end mine costed me $50 when I needed it.
It can take up to 2-3 months some times for the whole process if you're in a heavy populated area.

"It's as I always say, all really intelligent people should be cremated for reasons of public safety."
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

I had a CHL once.  I got one the first year Texas put the law into effect.  Mine was good for 4 years.  I let it lapse, and never took steps to renew.  Why?  In 4 years, I guess I never really felt the need to carry it very often.  However, it was nice knowing that I could (and did) whenever I wanted (exceptions being when it was prohibited by to the law). 

Today, Lyndy and I talk about going to get CHL's.  The primary reason for us today is for the convenience of buying a handgun if you have a valid CHL.  There is no waiting period if you're trying to buy a handgun at a gunstore or gunshow.  For us, that's the primary attraction (yes, we're sometimes impulse buyers).  Secondary to us is the ablity to "carry". 

So, my recommendation is to assess your reasons for wanting the license, and then do it.  In the end, having the license doesn't mean you ever have to carry (although there are some new obligations you'll need to be aware of once you're licensed - particulary involving traffic stops).  As far as I know, the course is still a 2 day classroom course administered by a certified trainer.  It requires a passport photo (at your expense) to be filed with all the CHL application paperwork.  I believe that most of the CHL classes are a "one stop shop".  Meaning; they will provide the state application paperwork for you to fill out, some even have a passport photographer come onsite, and then they administer the class including the state test, and shooting test, and finally  they issue a certificate of completion which must be sumitted with your CHL application packet (including application fee) that gets sent to Austin.  After Austin recieves and processes it (including a background check), and all goes well, you will get your CHL in the mail.  They look very similar to your drivers license.

The classes are good for learning about many of the laws surrounding the use of deadly force and carrying, transporting, storing a firearm.  If you're willing to commit the time (a whole weekend) and the money for the course (I've seen $100-$175 as the typical range), there shouldn't be any real problem in getting the license (other than passing the background check). 

Hope this helps!
   - Officer Phife  Police

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:42:28 PM by BarneePhife » Logged

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »

/\
 l
 l
 l

Cool! Free-Roaming BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Kevin848

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:25:49 AM »

What BarneePhife said. The class room part of the course is mostly common sense kinda stuff and they touch on the law as well which is important. Like when you are justified and where you can carry. I recommend DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird, they have a pretty nice range and will take care of you. I highly recommend you get it if for nothing more than the piece of mind.
RichD

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:26:34 AM »

I would like to get one here... the only thing I would have to change is my drivers license (currently AZ).

...and I'd have to break down and buy a handgun.
I've been avoiding that.  I know what will happen.
Handguns don't kill people, but ten of them will kill your piggy bank!   Grin

If we decide to do this as a group, "I'm in".

DFW-MFer!
Kevin848

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:28:45 AM »

I would like to get one here... the only thing I would have to change is my drivers license (currently AZ).

...and I'd have to break down and buy a handgun.
I've been avoiding that.  I know what will happen.
Handguns don't kill people, but ten of them will kill your piggy bank!   Grin

If we decide to do this as a group, "I'm in".

I know of an instructor that does private groups if you guys decide to do that. Im sure fastwin knows a hundred of them Smiley

You might be able to find a slightly used USP on craigs list Sad

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:39:47 AM by Kevin848 » Logged
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »

Isn't there something about not having even 1 drink if you have the CHL & a gun in the car?

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »

Isn't there something about not having even 1 drink if you have the CHL & a gun in the car?

Don't recall that one specifically.  But taking a concealed gun (even with a CHL) into an establishment which derives more than 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol is prohibited. 

• 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »

Roll Eyes So that's why you were drinking "Vitamin Water" yesterday !  Grin

Cyette & I would be interested in going shooting sometime at a range.  I'm not sure I want to do the whole CHL deal though.  Firearms are a complicated subject - but we sure would have fun test driving a few things sometime !  Cyette wants to try a lightweight 38 revolver.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:43:10 AM by Cyclone » Logged

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Okay, found it on the txdps website CHL FAQ....

Q: Can I carry a handgun when I am drinking?
A: Under the concealed handgun law, it is illegal to carry a handgun if you are intoxicated. The best idea is to leave your weapon at home if you intend to consume any alcoholic beverages.

• 1978 Yamaha GT 80

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »

A: Under the concealed handgun law, it is illegal to carry a handgun if you are intoxicated. The best idea is to leave your weapon at home if you intend to consume any alcoholic beverages.

Well HELL!  Then what's the POINT!

(We need an emoticon with a gun in one hand and a pint of Guniess in the other.)

I've been meaning to get my permit, but have kept putting it off.

One day my son and I were shooting down at the Sabine River bank right off of Hwy-69.  A forman from a nearby highway project dropped by and asked if we'd seen the 10 foot alligator.   Shocked  I thought he was joking, but he insisted that his men had seen it.  Well, with all the noise we were making it would surely have moved far away.  Been meaning to get some rope and a whole fryer chicken from the market and go fishin'.  Well, I guess that would be "gatorin'"

Anyone know what size hook I need?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

b.b.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

The intoxication limit is not the same as driving either. ANY alcohol in your system is considered against the law.

Also, a CHL license is for concealed carry only. If someone notices you have a gun, it's a crime.

It is leagal in Texas to have a gun in your car without a carry license if you are traveling, so the only reason to get a CHL is if you want to carry it on your person. Once a CHL is obtained, you are more restricted than people without one as far as the law is concerned because you have had training.   

I still recommend it though, because it's our right.

BB
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:41:21 PM »

sounds like a group buy on pistols is in the works.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
never2loud
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »

This thread is great; the only two reasons I thought  I should get a CHL was becasue I travel alone to Austin quite a bit, and, I figured it was about time to get proper training if we were to start hitting the shooting range on a more frequent basis. 

Now I'm not so sure...

So would I need to have a CHL to carry a handgun in the glovebox of my car when I'm travelling?

And what's the deterent to crime if criminals can't see you're just as armed as they are?

Don't get me wrong; I've got nothing against guns or their owners (like I said we've got two) but it just seems to me The Authorities don't want you to have 'em anyway.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: