Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - Andreani Racing Fork Cartridge Review  (Read 4752 times)
EEL

« on: December 27, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »

I got this to replace the stock internals this year. I've been using it for the last 6 months and I now have enough usage to provide some comments on the mod.

Overall I would highly recommend for a budget internal upgrade. The stock forks are horribly undersprung and the cartridge kit provides both new linear rate springs as well as a new damper rod and fork cap.

Installation:
The system was as bolt on as you can make it. You remove the fork cap and unscrew the fork bottom bolt and the existing system comes apart easily. Once the new cartridge is installed, Installation requires a spring compressor to get the proper oil level (120mm)

Factory oil recommendation is ohlins 5 wt. You can see some simlarities in design to the ohlins forks for the monster 1100 in the rebound needle but to a lower price point. But for around $600 for the kit, you cant expect the same level of quality to ohlins.

Performance:

The biggest difference is the rebound circuit. You can see that the cartridge, needle and fork cap replacement pays dividends here. Much better adjustability and feedback. The fork tracks much better on bumpy roads.

On compression, there is improvement but I think its limited by the stock needle in the fork bottom. I think the taper on this needle is not gradual enough and results in an on/off feeling. I was hoping this condition would change with the new cartridge installation but it did not. The cartridge does handle bumps well but I think the limiting factor for compression is its range of adjustability. Perhaps machining the needle (or replacing it completely) would help its performance.

Overall:

I am pleased with the improvement over stock. I can't rate it against other cartridge replacements since I haven't tried them but I can tell you for agressive street use, it just works. It might be a tad on the stiff side for some (but not jarring)

I have tried the Ohlins forks on the 1100S and those are better forks. But good luck getting those for less than $1500. If you want to get 90% there with 33% of the cost, this is a good value addition. Take the extra money you would have spent on the ohlins fork and use it to buy a better shock sprung to your weight! You'll have a better overall bike for it.

Pic of bike once reassembled.

MonsterHPD

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »

Thanks for the info,  Andreani should be good stuff from what I've heard.
Just curious; are the forks Showas? You wouldn't happen to have some photos of the internals (stock and Andreani)? It would be interesting to see and compare.

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

Sounds like an affordable option. The Ohlins forks would be a few grand here.

2015 Scrambler 800
EEL

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »

Thanks for the info,  Andreani should be good stuff from what I've heard.
Just curious; are the forks Showas? You wouldn't happen to have some photos of the internals (stock and Andreani)? It would be interesting to see and compare.

I might have some not sure.. I still have the old internals so I can at least post pics of that.

For clarification, the 1100 EVO used marocchi not showa suspension. The older 1100's used showa.
EEL

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »

Here is a pic of the andreani internals. The fork seals are not included in the kit and are SKF. They are adapted to fit this bike. I'll see if I can get a photo of the stock cartridge later tonight

MonsterHPD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:05:42 AM »

On compression, there is improvement but I think its limited by the stock needle in the fork bottom. I think the taper on this needle is not gradual enough and results in an on/off feeling. I was hoping this condition would change with the new cartridge installation but it did not. The cartridge does handle bumps well but I think the limiting factor for compression is its range of adjustability. Perhaps machining the needle (or replacing it completely) would help its performance.

It took me a while, but eventually I remembered I actually helped a friend with his Monster 1100 EVO; he had exactly the same problem as you had. We did 2 things to improve the forks:

1) Wilbers progressive springs; personally I´m no friend of progressive springs (changing oil level do much the same thing);
2) Re-profiling the compression needle:

P1070245_ by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

Or, to be precise, increase the length of the tapered part to give more adjustability towards "firm" on the compression side.

I have not met him much after the job, but I know he was pleased so far. I think you would benefit from the same needle mod.

He did most of the work himself, so I don´t know what the stock cartridge looks like. If you feel like it, I´d like to know what the cartridge diameter is, and what the pistons look like.  If they are anythink like "normal" forks, I think they can be improved by re-shimming as well.

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
EEL

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »

That's a perfect photo. I'm going to save it and forward it to my local machine shop to see if they can do the same.

waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: