Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 05:32:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new guy ..norcal 900ie  (Read 1440 times)
673monster

« on: December 27, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »

Heyo, so I picked up an abused 2000 900ie...starting the teardown and found this place.
Hope to learn quite a bit (already have actually ).
So far it looks like this bike will need :
General maintenance front to back.
Top ends.
Oil gallery plug (shit!)...maybe...find out when the top cylinder is off I guess.
Valve seals and shims.
Clutch basket and plates.
Miscellaneous electrical gremlins.
And I'm sure I'll find more to fix/replace as I go.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:21 AM »

Welcome. chug
The 900ie is a great model. It comes with easily tunable open loop fuel injection and hot cams from the factory. If you are rebuilding the top end, hi comp pistons really wake these motors up. A light clutch and flywheel also help response. You shouldn't need a Powercommander and tune if you keep the airbox stock. If you open the airbox you will. Sponsor Monsterparts has Powercommander units. There are also ECU reflashes from sponsor Motowheels. JE pistons provide good bang for buck and the whole kit is cheaper than the oem ring kits.
Cheers.

2015 Scrambler 800
673monster

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »

Thanks, good info.
The previous  owner(s) cut up the air box...but they also installed a power commander 3 as well as a Hinson clutch basket (with the steel replaceable plates that are worn waaaay beyond limits). 
I've been searching for piston kits...JE seems the way to go.
Have a few questions that I'll eventually post in other subs...like there's a ball bearing missing that keys into the gear selector..not sure on size...
Also hoping to find someone locally with valve shims (local shops seem almost worthless. ..won't even call me back about parts I want to order!)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »

Well at least you have the PCIII with the airbox mod. My brother has a good Ferracci map in his 2001 M900Sie for hi comp pistons, open airbox and pipes. A good dyno tune after the build would be the final touch and worth doing imo.
Sponsor Motowheels sell complete shim kits and has a gear selector kit too.   
Sponsor Monsterparts has clutch parts including lightweight drums.
Both sponsors have clutch baskets, plates, springs, etc.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: