Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:43:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ecoboost thread  (Read 41862 times)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »

Reporting in. Truck is still awesome. I should hit 100,000 miles in the next month or so.

Turns out plugs are scheduled for replacement at 45-50k. Since I've never done it I ordered in some ford plugs and got after it.

The oem plugs were at like .041. Recommended is .027 which is what I gapped them to. Much smoother idle.

Side note, the coil packs plugs have a plastic lock to keep them from coming loose and shutting the cylinder down.

On the first one slid the lock back and worked on the tab to release the second lock that would allow the plug to pull back.

That tab is designed to push not pull. I had more give in the pull direction and promptly broke the latch. It's very fragile.

I ended up putting super glue on the broken hoop and slipped it back into the connector where at least one of the two legs stuck. Maybe both.

I think the plug would stay in place without the latch but I didn't want to chance it.

So far so good but I've only driven 1/8 mile so far.

Tongue

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
metroplex

« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2022, 05:34:17 AM »

Those coil pack plugs are very fragile and have been that way on Fords for over 20+ years. I recall them being an issue on my 2000 Crown Vic which used the same coil packs as the 98's.

OEM Spark Plugs are NGK Laser Iridiums. The 3.5L EcoBoost (Gen 1, Gen 1 transverse, Gen 2, Gen 2 HO) use 1 heat range hotter than the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost spark plugs. So if you ever wanted cold plugs, you can get the Ford Racing 3.5L EcoBoost cold plugs (which are NGK Laser Iridiums in the heat range same as the 2.7/3.0 stock plugs) or the NGK Laser Iridiums. Don't go to Ford and buy plugs for the 2.7/3.0 because they will hand you the 3.5 EcoBoost "hotter" plugs. Everything's been superseded.

Getting an OBDLink MX+ or EX with FORScan is the single most useful tool you will want. With the extended license you can turn off the horn honk when you close the door with the engine running, etc...

When EcoBoost runs properly, everything is great. When something goes bad, it really goes bad like random misfires.

These aren't the droids you're looking for
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »

Those coil pack plugs are very fragile and have been that way on Fords for over 20+ years. I recall them being an issue on my 2000 Crown Vic which used the same coil packs as the 98's.

OEM Spark Plugs are NGK Laser Iridiums. The 3.5L EcoBoost (Gen 1, Gen 1 transverse, Gen 2, Gen 2 HO) use 1 heat range hotter than the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost spark plugs. So if you ever wanted cold plugs, you can get the Ford Racing 3.5L EcoBoost cold plugs (which are NGK Laser Iridiums in the heat range same as the 2.7/3.0 stock plugs) or the NGK Laser Iridiums. Don't go to Ford and buy plugs for the 2.7/3.0 because they will hand you the 3.5 EcoBoost "hotter" plugs. Everything's been superseded.

Getting an OBDLink MX+ or EX with FORScan is the single most useful tool you will want. With the extended license you can turn off the horn honk when you close the door with the engine running, etc...

When EcoBoost runs properly, everything is great. When something goes bad, it really goes bad like random misfires.

Good info. FWIW it is still running great in I am at 125,000 mi. I did get the setup to fiddle with the truck with forscan and used it to activate the integral trailer brake controller. While it was in there I managed to find the spot to shut off that stupid honk honk lol. That was a good move.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2022, 02:53:23 PM »

Mine never honked.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2022, 02:58:54 PM »

Mine never honked.

Somebody was in there with forscan before you bought it. The honk is annoying.

metroplex

« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2022, 03:16:07 PM »

Somebody was in there with forscan before you bought it. The honk is annoying.

Yep! This^ Even the dealer knows the honk is annoying as they rarely close the door fully while the engine is on. All of my neighbors have the honk and they don't seem to be bothered or care to annoy others when they run the engine in the morning at o dark hundred. "Honk"

No idea what Ducpainter has, but maybe it was a police interceptor as they have a few features disabled by default (or enabled by default).

FORScan came in handy. I disabled TPMS on my Fusion Sport because one sensor died and Discount Tire refused to replace it unless I bought new tires (waiting to wear them out, no rush on my part).

I retrofitted remote start via Ford VSS with FORScan for my 2018 Explorer. Lots of useful things! If you own a Ford/Lincoln and like to work on it or perform maintenance, FORScan is mandatory like sockets and ratchets!

These aren't the droids you're looking for
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2022, 03:53:18 PM »

I have a '15 3.5l F-150.

I used Forscan to install and activate the factory trailer brake module.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2024, 01:43:54 PM »

I have a '15 3.5l F-150.

I used Forscan to install and activate the factory trailer brake module.

I did this as well a couple years ago. Then found out uhaul trailers use surge brakes.

So I'm at 153,000 now and things are still doing well. I still love the truck.

I threw $3800 at it yesterday at the Ford dealer.

Oil change
State inspection
Front and rear diff fluid change
Transfer case fluid change
Transmission filter and fluid
Four tires
Brake service to pass state inspection- apparently I had one caliper doing most of the work.
Parking brake parts needed to pass state as well.

Still cheaper than a payment on another one. 

Here's to another 150k waytogo

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: