Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual swingarm, rear axle gap  (Read 3553 times)
dusty

« on: June 18, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

Hey guys,

Got an 02 M620 I'm rebuilding from a parts bin. Running into an issue on the rear axle where there's about 3-4mm of empty space along the spindle. Are the swing arms supposed to bend inwards to 'pinch' on the wheel, or am I missing a spacer? To clarify: according to the parts diagrams, I have all the correct pieces on the spindle (conical spacer, wheel assembly, caliper carrier), there's just.. more empty space. It almost looks like there's supposed to be another spacer on the swingarm side of the caliper carrier.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »

Swingarm is *not* supposed to bend inward.

Sounds like you've got some incorrect/missing parts.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
dusty

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:23:00 PM »

Hm. Got two opinions now, one for and against the swing arm flexing to pinch.

Is it accurate then to say that, with all the parts on the spindle and the spindle mounted in the adjusting shoes, the entire assembly should fit between the swingarms with little to no side-to-side freeplay?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

Hm. Got two opinions now, one for and against the swing arm flexing to pinch.

Is it accurate then to say that, with all the parts on the spindle and the spindle mounted in the adjusting shoes, the entire assembly should fit between the swingarms with little to no side-to-side freeplay?
Yes.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

Agreed.  2-3mm gap is not good.
dusty

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »

.. Y'anno, I was half-hoping to come back to a bunch of "no, that gap is totally fine" just so I could bolt it down. Oh well, do it once, do it right, and all that.

Getting more in depth, I feel reasonably confident that whatever is missing is on the rotor side of the wheel. On the sprocket side, the flanged inner bushing (710.1.041.1C) is perfectly flush with the conical spacer when the wheel is assembled, which I imagine is how it should be. If so, that'd narrow the problem down to something with the caliper carrier, I'd think. The carrier has a slightly extruded ring with its face ground flat on the inner side, which I'm guessing interfaces directly with the inner race of the wheel bearing, without any sort of washer between them (this also vertically aligns the seam of the caliper directly above the center of the rotor, so I think that'd be right?). I've looked around and can't seem to find any indication of a spacer between the swingarm or aligner shoe and the carrier, but the parts manual also shows a slightly different part than what mine looks like.

My carrier has no cylindrical extrusion on that block, just a flat face. Is it possible this is a two-piece part?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »

Caliper carrier has no cylindrical extrusion, the part drawing is incorrect (a copy/paste from prior configuration).

My best guess at this point is that you have a flanged inner bushing and conical spacer from the 5.5" wheel, which will not work with the sprocket carrier from the 4.5" wheel.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
dusty

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »

Well, there goes that easy solution. I won't say it's impossible that it's the wrong spacer set up, but this bike only came apart for paint, and prior to that it was a running bike - I certainly don't remember that much slop in the wheel, at least. Previous owner was a sweet homecare lady, too, who I don't think would have gotten into modifying the bike all that much.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »

You did say you were rebuilding from a parts bin, so to me that means "in 15 years, anything can happen".  cheeky

Has she owned it the whole time?

Some pictures would help, can you post some?

We've got some info:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=109.0
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=72635.0

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

dusty

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »

Haha! Yeah, I guess that was pretty ambiguous. To clarify with some bike history: I bought the bike in 2012 at ~3,700 miles from the lady, when it ran and rode fine. Ran into some financial problems and it got storaged until recently in 2018 (neglectful owner, tsk tsk), when it was brought back out (at 4,200 miles). I'm pretty sure it even had the factory rubber on it still until I swapped them out, but I can't be sure she owned it for its entire life prior to selling it. The 'parts bin' is really a half dozen large plastic containers full of parts that I filled as I took them off the bike. Rear tire size is the suggested 160/60ZR-17, which I think would only fit the 4.5"

I had a thought last night, and went digging through my old photo libraries. Found a picture among those I took ~2012 that was of the rear tire from almost directly behind the bike.

Interestingly, you can see the caliper carrier and conical spacer are flush to the swingarms - no gap there.

Between then and now, something has gone off, though, creating this annoying gap

With the carrier pressed against the wheel bearing, the seam of the caliper is directly above the rotor

With the wheel pressed fully to the left, seating the conical spacer against the swingarm, the rear sprocket is directly in line with the installed and torqued front sprocket - though it's worth noting that the sprocket is installed with the flat side inwards towards the motor, count to what the parts diagram recommends (which caused the front sprocket to be out of line with even the chain guard on the swingarm)

The conical spacer fits flush with the internal spacer

And both wheel bearings are flush with the edge of the wheel hub

The cush drive side of the sprocket carrier seems fine, but I don't really know what to look for here to be honest. Worth noting that the sprocket carrier does not sit flush against the wheel, and there is a ~3-4mm gap between the silver carrier and the black of the wheel.

Measuring the spacers gives a 44mm inner spacer and a 13.5mm conical spacer

Full album here, for higher resolution:
https://imgur.com/a/e2EB9CI
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:43:33 AM by dusty » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »

According to the parts fiche the same spacer and conical spacer are the same on the 750 and 900.  Unfortunately I have no idea why you now have the gap.  Was the bike stored with the wheel on?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »

Can you measure the width inside the swingarm, between the faces where the conical spacer sits on the left and the caliper bracket on the right?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

dusty

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:14:39 PM »

Thanks for sticking it out with me guys, I know this probably isn't the highlight of your day.

Bike was stored entirely assembled, with the wheel on.

Measurement isn't as precise because my calipers don't go so high, but I measured a reasonably accurate ~241mm on a tape measure pulled taut and on a ruler

Edit: Interesting. I couldn't measure directly where the spindle would go because I needed something to keep the measurement perpendicular to the swing arm. Measuring at the raised threaded holes for the mudguard yielded a 242mm measurement, whereas measuring at the edge of the swing arm (sans chain adjuster) yielded the previous 241mm. It seems to be slightly pinched already?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:24:29 PM by dusty » Logged
dusty

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 06:24:27 PM »

Well, now I'm confused.

I was looking through the old photos from 2012, and noticed that the spindle was threaded to just a little beyond the nut on both sides. Out of curiousity, I went and put just the spindle through, and put the gold adjuster plates and the nuts onto the spindle.

It doesn't even come close to threading that far before the swingarm begins to pinch. In fact, there's about 3-4mm of thread left inside of the one nut, before it would roughly match how threaded the spindle appeared back in 2012. Normally I'd say that the swing arm was bent, but looking over the profile of the arms, there's no disruption or bubbling or creasing, and there's no damage to the welds - nothing to suggest the profile of the arms has been compromised in any way. Given the previous measurements of the span between the arms being more narrow towards their ends, how likely is it this unit has somehow been damaged?
greenmonster

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 04:36:56 AM »

"It doesn't even come close to threading that far before the swingarm begins to pinch."

Any wear marks on left inside of swing, indicating that conical spacer has been wrongly mounted
(conical side outwards), giving a couple of mm`s unwanted freeplay? And pinching chain adjusters?
IS the swing straight?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:43:45 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: