Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:28:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Solenoid == Starter Contactor?  (Read 1972 times)
TobyDanger

2007 S2R800

« on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »

Is the "starter contactor" in the manual the same thing as the starter solenoid?

I've a 2007 S2R 800 and recently I thought the battery was dead, I turned it on, and hit the starter switch and it cranked weakly a few times then stopped.  Next I just got a click when I pushed the starter switch.  I charged it on a trickle charger and it ran fine the next day.  A few days later I tried to start it again and nothing.  The gauges come on, sweep, everything looks fine, but when I hit the starter switch, I hear a click and a small motor whirring (fuel pump?) but the starter doesn't crank.  The battery is fully charged, connections seem tight.  Based on others similar problems the next thing I should check is the starter solenoid?  Can someone describe where it is and how to check it?  Is the starter solenoid what's labeled the starter contactor in the manual?

Any other suggestions?  I've got a service at the dealer on Friday and I'm hoping I won't have to call them to tow it in...

Thanks

TobyDanger

-=TobyDanger=-

"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"
knightrider

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

do u own a multimeter? the best way to trouble shoot is to go to each connection and see what voltage you have.  it doesnt really sound like the solenoid, most of the time the solenoid will either stop working or will stick closed causing the bike to want to continue to run after you shut it off.  the starter draws conciderably more amps than the gauges or the lights, so those may work normally, but the starter will not.  do you ride your bike often?  batteries will discharge over time meaning if your bike sits the battery will lose voltage. 

1994 M900
Jobu

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »

do u own a multimeter? the best way to trouble shoot is to go to each connection and see what voltage you have.  it doesnt really sound like the solenoid, most of the time the solenoid will either stop working or will stick closed causing the bike to want to continue to run after you shut it off.  the starter draws conciderably more amps than the gauges or the lights, so those may work normally, but the starter will not.  do you ride your bike often?  batteries will discharge over time meaning if your bike sits the battery will lose voltage. 

+1.  I would bet lots of money on two things:  1.  The battery is toast.  If it is the original battery, I would lean more towards this.  2.  One of your grounds (or earths) doesn't have a good contact.

(@  )( @ )
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »

My battery is still the one that came with the bike in 04, works fine.

To locate the solenoid, trace the large wire from the positive battery terminal, it goes directly to the solenoid. It is a sealed unit eother it works or replace it. Only thing you can do is check that the terminals are clean and tight. A more likely candidate would be the connection to the starter.

Capo de tuti capi
TobyDanger

2007 S2R800

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »

Hmm, yeah I don't get it out as often as I'd like.  Work is a 5 min walk from my home, so I don't commute.  It's mostly a weekend ride.

The battery died once already in Feb when I was overseas for a month (and probably hadn't ridden for a few weeks before that) and left the alarm on, but I thought it's been fine since then.  I had it on the tender/charger (that I got when it died the first time) last weekend and the light was solid green which I think means it was 14v+, but it still wouldn't start or try to crank over.

I do have a multimeter and I will check the battery tomorrow.  What specifically am I looking for?  At the battery terminals check the vDC while off and it should be +12.8v?  What about on?  Or when pushing the starter?

Even with a lame battery should I be able to, or even should I, jump it from my car battery (I know with the car off)?

Thanks again!

Toby

-=TobyDanger=-

"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:01 AM »

+1 on the battery being toast. A multi meter will really not tell you much about the battery, you can have voltage but not enough amperage to crank it over. Take it to some chain auto parts store and have the battery load tested. 

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: