Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to paint a tank that has lived many lives  (Read 1220 times)
caperix

« on: December 25, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »

I need to repaint the tank on my track bike to sell it.  It is a early 2000 Honda metal tank, it looks like it was sprayed over the factory decals after filling some dents in the side.  The first layer is coming off easily with paint stripper, I had to repaint due to a fuel leak wrinkling it so that is not a surprise.  The lower areas are much more difficult.  I don't want to damage the filled areas, should I just give it a good wet sand & spay over with primer?  Any hints on getting painted over vinyl decals off?  Does not need to be perfect, I am painting my self, so it will be far from perfect, but I don't want to leave the next owner with a time bomb.
buzzer

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »

I need to repaint the tank on my track bike to sell it.  It is a early 2000 Honda metal tank, it looks like it was sprayed over the factory decals after filling some dents in the side.  The first layer is coming off easily with paint stripper, I had to repaint due to a fuel leak wrinkling it so that is not a surprise.  The lower areas are much more difficult.  I don't want to damage the filled areas, should I just give it a good wet sand & spay over with primer?  Any hints on getting painted over vinyl decals off?  Does not need to be perfect, I am painting my self, so it will be far from perfect, but I don't want to leave the next owner with a time bomb.

Its a difficult one without seeing it...  But for a reasonable job I would flat it all off with some 600 wet and dry, and then primer it.  Leave it by the radiator for a day and then flat the primer off with some 800.  if you break through, spot prime again and flat just that area.  then uses a basecoat..., and let it just tack off...dont let it dry compleatly...  and finish with two coats of 2k  lacquer.   I am assuming this is aerosol cans...  you can get 2k in them now and its absolutely brilliant!  remember it only has a life of 2 hours once you have shook the can through and activated it.  once its dry, its petrol proof.

Lots of people ask me how I get such a good finish straight from the gun...  A good tip is, spray gun or can in one hand...  torch in the other!  hold the torch so you can see where you are wetting out the lacquer....

drval85

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »

What brand do you recommend for 2k in a can?
buzzer

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:38:15 AM »

What brand do you recommend for 2k in a can?

I dont use it myself so I cant recommend a make, however my mate uses it all the time, he just buys it off Ebay or amazon.  Have to say he has some stunning results!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: