Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 12:03:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S4RS Rearsets  (Read 3878 times)
Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« on: March 28, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »

Looking for some recs on some new rearsets for my '07 S4RS. I have short legs, but the S4RS pegs seem too far forward and a little high compared to my old M750. It's causing knee pain within 30 mins of getting on the bike that I didn't have on the old monster.

I'd like to move the pegs straight back about 1" from the stock position. I would also like the ability to experiment with moving them down a smidge if possible, although I realize that may cause me some turn clearance issues.

Any recommendations?

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
RB

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

I’m 5’8” and bought the gecko racing rearset. They are very simple and cheap, not the most pretty but they get the job done. Not sure if they will adjust an 1” rearward, but they have decent adjustment. If I recall, you need to fill out the spacer for the big swing arm bolt on the rear sets. Ymmv.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »

360 degrees rotating peg assemblies - affordable, flexible and easy.  MF Vario, Rizoma, Wunderlich and probably a handul cheap ebay parts (don't!!!)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
itsamonster

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »

I’ve got the Gilles rearsets. Very good quality.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY Gilles.
(If you want to know why, just search this forum.)

They (Gilles) didn't know / understand how S4R/S2R rear swingarm works, thus, made the wrong design.
They will cause rear swingarm binding.
In a long run, that's enough to cause damage to swingarm pivot area.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:11:26 AM »

<SNIP>

I'd like to move the pegs straight back about 1" from the stock position.<SNIP>

If you move foot peg position 1" backward, with no height change, the heel of your left boots will hit the swingarm while you are going through corners.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY Gilles.
(If you want to know why, just search this forum.)

They (Gilles) didn't know / understand how S4R/S2R rear swingarm works, thus, made the wrong design.
They will cause rear swingarm binding.
In a long run, that's enough to cause damage to swingarm pivot area.

I’m removing a set of Gilles right now to return to the stock ones.  I don’t think they were on the bike too long so likely minimal issues with the pivot.  From the rigidity/design standpoint, I can see now what you’re saying above.  Thanks for the info.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »

The usual extra info about Gilles:

Gilles admitted their design mistake. Their fix was to add a spacer. Maybe too late for a few/many/most buyers - I don't know.

manwithgun

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 06:40:12 AM »

Funny to stumble across this.  I have a set stored away for an S2R800 which never got mounted after hearing of the flaw many years ago.  Mod/fix seems to be scrubbed from the forum and internet  based on a quick search.  One of these days, I’ll have to test fit and assess the actual issue.  I do remember mention of a binding pivot and washer as repair. The parts “look” too good to go to waste if there’s a workable solution.  They’re still listed.   Next time I lay eyes on them, I’ll have to compare my parts to the diagram to see if there are any differences.  Anyone with personal experience, please do share. 

https://www.oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/GT%20PDF-MOVIES/GT%20Rearsets/VCR38GT_D02_ABA_rev01.pdf

I ride both kinds,   Country, and Western.....
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »

Just adding washer or spacer doesn't solve the problem.

Take a look at how Ducati designed the foot peg bracket mount AND rear swing arm.

Then, look at Gilles.

Go back to stock Ducati diagram.

The bolt with big head, which holds foot peg bracket, DOES rotate together with siwngarm shaft.

That's why there's huge rubber bushing WITH metal sleeve in there.

The easiest and the best solution (IF you really want that thing on your S2R) is,
to take both stock parts and Gilles to the local machinist, and modify Gilles hole area
to take stock Ducati rubber bushing / metal sleeve.

To be honest, it's not worth spending more money and time into their rear set.
Just sell them on eBay or CL mentioning that it requires work I explained above.

They (GIlles) flex if you move the foot peg position more than certain amount.
Their "wide range of adjustment" is a total moot point,

because your feet will hit exhaust, swing arm, shift linkage rod is not long enough, brake pedal cannot be set at correct height , etc, etc.

Overall, I consider their product as bling parts, rather than high performance custom parts.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »

manwithgun: your parts diagram show the upgraded kit (in 2009). The 'new' parts are # 25, 26, 29, 30 which are preventing the big head OEM from pushing the rearset base plate into the swingarm axle 'shoulder'.

The steel swingarm axle will rub lightly against the rearset aluminum base plate, so after 20 or 30 years of normal use you will need to drill them and put in a bushing  Wink

folgore: the eccentric thingy on the right side should make it possible to adjust the height bias between foot peg and toe peg (yes?). The drawings indicate that there is enough adjustment for the shift linkage (at least in a nonGPshift pattern)(yes?).

I can't remember clearly which, but believe there was a supplier who made the rearsets with ball bearings (Ducati Performance?)(Rizoma?) instead of a steel bushing inside rubber. Probably overkill. Gilles are the only supplier who still make adjustable rearsets - at least to a degree that matters. Not perfect, but close enough.

Grin manwithgun: if you think they are useless.... let me give you an offer  Dolph

manwithgun

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:54 PM »

To both of you, I really do appreciate the prompt and thorough intel.  My Duc has been mothballed for quite some time, as well as my visits to the forum, but I do recognize both of your names (and vet status) from the past.  For years I've been running Cycle Cat rearsets in a very high position to help anchor knee/thigh to the tank while track riding (with my own tank grip set-up and shift lever). I'd saved the Gilles (bought used from this forum many years ago) for after I destroyed the C.Cats, which miraculously never happened (having spare bits and bobs helped).  My current configuration requires a large amount of leverage for standard upshifts and I wanted to relax the riding position a bit for more street use.  This is where Gilles re-enters the picture.  I see now how the swing arm shaft rotates with the large captive aluminum nut on the end, and how it would bind with the original Gilles layout.  It's going to be quite low on my priorities list, but I'll likely look into using some thrust bearings along with a bit o machining once the time is found.  I'l be sure to start a new thread if/when it starts to get off the ground.  Tanks again and good to find the forum alive and as helpful as always.  Cheers,  Jim.

I ride both kinds,   Country, and Western.....
Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I ordered the MF Vario's. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
itsamonster

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 02:04:33 AM »

I’ve just had the gilles rearsets off to do some thorough cleaning, but more importantly to re-grease the swingarm pivot bearings.
They’ve been on for about 8000 miles.
I can’t see any problems or rubbing.
Maybe i got an improved version.  Huh?
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:53:44 AM »

Please take a look at these photos again.

Gilles : Improper design

Genuine Ducati parts : proper design

See the big difference in the size of the hole?

Now, look at this.

Rizoma PE202 : Properly designed aftermarket rear set

\\Srvcad\catia\ARCHIVI\02 - Montaggio Cliente\PE\PE202\PE202.CATDrawing

See the spacer & rubber washer orientation ?

Look at Gilles : post 2009 products, their band aid solution version

VCR38gt_ABA_KT02.indd

Yours came with part# 25, 26?

In order to work properly, the swing arm pivot shaft needs to be able to rotate together with the big head bolt, freely, inside of the hole of the foot peg bracket.
In other word, when you tighten down the bolt, the bolt must not come in direct contact with the foot peg bracket.
That's why Rizoma & OEM spacers are that deep.

Gilles vgr38gt, one of the WORST aftermarket parts in the motorcycle industry I've ever seen in the last 38 years or so.

Like this?

VCR38gt_ABA_KT02.indd

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: