Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 38278 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 12:36:11 PM »

it's only sacrilege if I don't get first dibs on the motor you have left over. Grin

Well, that spare frame needs something in it too. But, now I'm well up against the question of how many make the beast with two backsing bikes do I really need laughingdp

Need= feel like maintaining and insuring.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »

Well, that spare frame needs something in it too. But, now I'm well up against the question of how many make the beast with two backsing bikes do I really need laughingdp

Need= feel like maintaining and insuring.
I haven't ridden/rode any of my three in a year, but I 'need' more...kinda like shotguns.

I always find a need. Grin

I'm looking to replace the bottom end on the SS I bought. It's the very early short crank version and most side cover parts are unobtanium. Since it's a track bike a later motor would be handy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:43:35 PM by ducpainter » Logged

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »

I feel your pain.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »

In light of what Stu said, I'm curious as to the cam codes on the heads of your FE. I've read that some US versions possibly got carbed versions of the ie motor and not just the later cases and alternator. If that's true then some US models are extra rare.

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »

I see a V2 on the heads. Does that help?

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »

Yep, but are there three letters on the rockers? How do they compare to the cam codes on the ie motor?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:57:17 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »

Yep, but are there three letters on the rockers?

I'll report back once I've cracked it open

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »

Carb : OHT/VHT
IE : O8J/V8J
Courtesy of Bikeboy .

The story is some US FE's got ie cams. The later heads should be a little bit better too. Under the LHS cam cover you'll see the code on the side of the big lobe.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:26:08 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »

If you want to inject the SS/FE, you will need to cut and weld the frame to do a full Ducati I.E. setup.  The horizontal throttle body interferes with the straight horizontal tube which mounts the rear of the air box.

Injected bikes have a curved tube to allow room.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2020, 03:44:23 PM »

To be clear, the cam cover is the cam bearing cover not the valve cover. Sorry I was half asleep last night looking at my phone. I also meant rocker box for the head code, but the cam code is under the cam bearing cover on the side face of the lobe.

The story doing the rounds was of a shortage of late 3 phase case carb motors so some ie motors got carbed . I don't know if it was true and have heard different opinions about it. We know Ducati threw whatever was available into whatever, but there are plenty of myths too.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »

Keep it carbed and complete imo. Hi comp pistons and flat slides are another matter. Grin Or you can work oem carbs by picking up a stock pair cheap and working/tuning them. If the motor stays stock don't go over 39mm imo.
With tuned or modified stock carbs I like to run a single cable, quick turn throttle tube. You can buy the tube to use one oem cable in the oem throttle casing. Say goodbye to the pesky return cable for a really crisp opening and closing. Funny how some safety features make things worse. I found it returns better and more safely than the twin cable set up as the vacuum slams the butterflies shut unlike a flat slide when the vacuum tries to pin the slide in place!

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »

If you want to inject the SS/FE, you will need to cut and weld the frame to do a full Ducati I.E. setup.  The horizontal throttle body interferes with the straight horizontal tube which mounts the rear of the air box.

Injected bikes have a curved tube to allow room.

That doesn't sound that bad. I'll start with just getting it going on carbs for now.

I'm becoming a carb convert. On thing I love about my 950smr is that the carbs sort of soften the throttle a little. Injected bikes always seemed a little snatchy especially at low throttle positions.

Even with vacuum secondaries I don't feel much lag when I roll on hard. I'm hoping I can get this ss feeling similar.

FCR's might be a thing too though so...

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

Keep it carbed and complete imo. Hi comp pistons and flat slides are another matter. Grin Or you can work oem carbs by picking up a stock pair cheap and working/tuning them. If the motor stays stock don't go over 39mm imo.
With tuned or modified stock carbs I like to run a single cable, quick turn throttle tube. You can buy the tube to use one oem cable in the oem throttle casing. Say goodbye to the pesky return cable for a really crisp opening and closing. Funny how some safety features make things worse. I found it returns better and more safely than the twin cable set up as the vacuum slams the butterflies shut unlike a flat slide when the vacuum tries to pin the slide in place!

Interesting. I've been advised to go with 41's always.

Heck, there's a 41 on my 450 (520 big bore) supermoto

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2020, 04:35:18 PM »

Hi comp or 944, ported, big valves, etc? Sure, go 41's. 41's let a worked motor reach its full potential and give more at WOT over the curve. I have run 41's on two worked 900's and it was a good move. One of my comp, ported 900's gave 86hp and 68 ft/lbs with stock valves and cams with 41's. If mods are a possibility then get 41's.
39's give better part throttle response at the expense of 2-3ish peak hp and do work better with a stock bike imo. I also reckon they start easier in the cold than 41's if you run 58-60 pilots in cold climates. FWIW, JD Hord put this to me years ago and with hindsight, I reckon he's right.

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2020, 04:37:33 PM »

Noted

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: