Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:21:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 38280 times)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »

At this stage of the game, none of this has anything to do with need. It’s all about want!  Evil

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »

At this stage of the game, none of this has anything to do with need. It’s all about want!  Evil

Well, you're not wrong.

I was just thinking I should cut the flywheel and all the gears on the right side.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »

Well, you're not wrong.

I was just thinking I should cut the flywheel and all the gears on the right side.
'cuz you can...

39's on a stock motor...all the way.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »

Really loving this thread. One of the most beautiful bikes ever made. I miss my 92 SL900 (#173). It now has a blueprinted 90hp 944 hi comp motor with FCR39's, Ti valves, 900ie cams, light flywheel, etc.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »

It's great that you can easily do it in house. If hi compression pistons are in the bikes future, then only take a little off the flywheel, say 500g, but if you don't plan on increasing compression you can go more closer to removing 750-1000g. If you take enough off the primary and timing gears and clutch you might be happy close to stock flywheel. I did a lot of testing with flywheels and there is a limit to how light you can go with hi comp and no slipper clutch. There's also personal preference and ones middle ear tolerance for resonance, but you're young and strong. When I was younger I removed flywheel mass and as I got older I put it back Grin

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:50:44 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2020, 12:09:27 PM »

It's great that you can easily do it in house. If hi compression pistons are in the bikes future, then only take a little off the flywheel, say 500g, but if you don't plan on increasing compression you can go more closer to removing 750-1000g. If you take enough off the primary and timing gears and clutch you might be happy close to stock flywheel. I did a lot of testing with flywheels and there is a limit to how light you can go with hi comp and no slipper clutch. There's also personal preference and ones middle ear tolerance for resonance, but you're young and strong. When I was younger I removed flywheel mass and as I got older I put it back Grin

Why? 

That question applies to your comment about-

Adding mass
Resonance
High comp with light fw no good
Etc

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »

Let's get to work

Generated by http://tools.sportscard.trade

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »

It's home?

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »

It's home?

Since Thursday Cheesy

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »

Generated by http://tools.sportscard.trade

Some front end damage from a tip over. Or a very mild hit. Other than some scrapes on the fairings and one mirror it's pretty decent.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2020, 02:08:01 PM »

Aaaaaannnd there's 3 year old fuel in the tank. And some rust.

I'm glad I didn't pay a ton for this. She needs love.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »

Aaaaaannnd there's 3 year old fuel in the tank. And some rust.

I'm glad I didn't pay a ton for this. She needs love.
You did say it sat...

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2020, 02:21:45 PM »

I think I was also told it was fogged and drained before it was parked on stands. Fuel tap under the tank wasn't shut off. Carbs probably need more than the float bowls cleaned.

Fcr decision probably needs to happen now. I had to force the throttle grip open and closed it's so gunky. Seems to be loosening up as I work it. I don't think it's the grip or the cables, I think it's the carb itself that's sticking.

How should I go about cleaning out the tank?

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »

Why? 

That question applies to your comment about-

Adding mass
Resonance
High comp with light fw no good
Etc

Yes, true. Just laying some possible paths for your consideration. My enthusiasm about this bike is tied to nostalgia about my old Superlight. The answers are in the engine characteristics you want for how you intend to ride it, engine braking, smoothness, etc.

There's an FE over here and they're asking 13-14k . I'll be eagerly watching this thread from a stage four lockdown. Cheers.

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2020, 03:53:25 PM »

I think I was also told it was fogged and drained before it was parked on stands. Fuel tap under the tank wasn't shut off. Carbs probably need more than the float bowls cleaned.

Fcr decision probably needs to happen now. I had to force the throttle grip open and closed it's so gunky. Seems to be loosening up as I work it. I don't think it's the grip or the cables, I think it's the carb itself that's sticking.

How should I go about cleaning out the tank?
Is it rusty?

perspective

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: