Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baffles for Motocreations Boomtubes  (Read 7266 times)
thump

« on: October 31, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »

Hey folks,

I installed a set of Motocreations Boomtubes on my 2003 M800 and have been enjoying them for the better part of a decade.... Then last weekend I noticed it was louder. One of the baffles had come undone and is missing, presumably lying somewhere on the highway.

I'm not too fussed about the extra volume, but I'd like both cylinders to see the same amount of back pressure. So I'm looking for anyone with a Boomtube (standard) baffle they no longer use and are willing to part with for the right price.

Plan B will be removing the remaining baffle. Mark had told me that the standard baffles I purchased did not require an ECU change, but I never asked if I'd need to ECU tune if I removed the baffles. Does anyone have an insight on this?

Thanks.

My toolbox is full of hammers. Because the world is full of nails.

2003 M800 dark
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 06:07:43 AM »

Hmm didn't know those came with baffles. Love those BoomTubes and also those M800s. Posta photo. I think it will be a challenge to find another baffle for those. BoomTubes seem like just a dream now they're so unobtainium. Cycle Cat and Road Racing bits are easier to find. Good luck though. Have you thought about maybe fabricating a new one?

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
thump

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 12:32:26 PM »

Yeah I'm probably going to drill out the rivets on the remaining baffle, pull it and see how loud it is. If it's bone splitting I'll see how hard it will be to duplicate it and then rivet them back in. More rivets this time.

Funny story, just 2 weeks back I got pulled over for loud pipes, I had the cop shine a light so he could see the baffles, to prove they weren't straight pipes. Since he couldn't quote me the relevant dB limit he let me go. So one more reason to get the baffles back in, is to continue smart mouthing traffic cops.

2003 M800 dark
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »

I have no first hand knowledge of tuning these pipes. I would hazard a guess that baffles and a dyno tune with appropriate airbox/intake mods would give the best performance outcome. I guess a stock airbox and baffles enables you to get away with a stock tune. Although I defer to Marks opinion and expertise, my feeling is that the totally oem, stock bike could use a tune by whatever means and more so with a custom exhaust.

2015 Scrambler 800
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 12:26:25 AM »

.....Mark had told me that the standard baffles I purchased did not require an ECU change.....
Snake oil.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:21:03 AM »

I do remember Mark saying a tune was not needed with the baffles.  I also remember Mark saying the Boom Tubes really didn't add to performance.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 05:47:32 AM »

They do look more show than go. That gave me the impression that a tune might be in order to restore performance back to stock levels since the pipes greatly diverge in design from oem. Maybe they just work ok, but I would be expecting some rough throttle transitions at various rpm (conjecture on my part). Or I could be wrong Grin

I think it's a great idea to replicate the baffles using the other as a template. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
thump

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »

No definitely not performance, a bit less restrictive than stock, and about 30lb lighter. Neither show nor go, more 'heard but not seen' to paraphrase Mark.

Rode the bike stock for 9 seasons, then installed these without a tune and rode for another 9. No noticeable difference in performance except the weight loss really, based on my 'feel gauge'. Still hates low revs, still stays in 1st gear in the city. I don't take this one to the track and its more than enough to break plenty of road laws.

I don't know much about ECU tuning. AFAIK the M800 has open loop ECU, no feedback sensors, and all the Boomtubes effectively do is reduce some exhaust restriction. The question is really whether a tune is necessary (ie will I melt something if I go baffle-free straight pipes) vs some degrees of improvement I'd get for the trouble. First step is to pull that remaining baffle either way. I just winterized it so I have some time to mess with it.

Thanks folks for the input, please let me know if my assumptions above are way off.

2003 M800 dark
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 01:45:41 AM »

Wow. A 30 lb weight loss is a pretty good performance mod if engine performance is about the same. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »

If you choose to do so, open loop makes the tuning options easier and will allow the ECU PCV/Rexxer reflash or dyno tune options to manage the wholè rev range. Has Mark been handling the tuning, servicing, etc?

2015 Scrambler 800
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »

The stock ECU is Euro2 which despite being less lean than later editions, is still too lean.

You will shake/bang your head for not doing it nine/eighteen years ago, but anyway.... get a proper tune done on a bench by an EXPERIENCED tuner. Cut the air filter box top and use a 'race' filter while you have the tuning done.

You will NOT regret it.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

The stock ECU is Euro2 which despite being less lean than later editions, is still too lean.

You will shake/bang your head for not doing it nine/eighteen years ago, but anyway.... get a proper tune done on a bench by an EXPERIENCED tuner. Cut the air filter box top and use a 'race' filter while you have the tuning done.

You will NOT regret it.

waytogo
thump

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 11:47:49 AM »

Oh you guys are going to make me spend some money...

stopintime: I am in Toronto, haven't had good experiences with authorized Ducati shops, which changed hands a few times since 2004. I have a good independent mechanic, not sure about his tuning experence (I thought the ECU is 5.9M on the 2003 M800 and not re-mappable, gotta read up on this). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good ECU tuner in Ontario?

koko64: Mark just sold me the pipes and emailed some tips for the install. I was just reading your raised airbox mod thread (2016), looking at options to open mine up. Not that I aspire to ride in the rain, but are there issues with the open airbox allowing water spray in? I already switched to a K&N filter but the box is stock.

And yes, the 30lb weight drop would've been great, if I hadn't put about 20lb onto myself.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas, see how easy it was to twist my arm?

2003 M800 dark
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »

Depending on the degree of love you have for your bike (or maybe rather what the bike does to you) it can be worth while to travel to an expert - or ship the bike there.

The air box lid is easy to cut open. Rain is not an issue. Any moisture getting by the filter is VERY quickly burned in the combustion chambers.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »

Just GoogleMaps'd Toronto  Dolph  You're a day away from one or more experts. I can't remeber who, but I think DucPainter knows. To the east Clubhouse MotorSports and there must be more in the direction of NYC?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: