Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 11:52:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My bike may be in its last leg  (Read 5377 times)
Mhanis

« on: January 21, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »

Bad news, the issues with the starter sprag has led to a discovery that my output shaft needs to be reshimmed; this may be the end of my bike as it may well cost significantly more to fix than it is worth.  Cry

I know there are a lot of guys here who will say "Well just pull the motor apart and fix it" but I am afraid I have neither the knowledge or the capabilities to tackle that task.

Here is the worst part for me, several years ago I came across a low mileage, complete motor and ALMOST bought it just to have handy. It sure would be nice to have it now.....  bang head bang head

I did find an appropriate motor for sell on Ebay, but it is located in the Ukraine; and the Russians seem to be knocking on their door!

No decisions have been made as of yet and I'll keep you posted.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

FWIW, I don't want a new bike..........I want my bike back!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:59:49 AM »

I was in the same boat several years ago with my 996 track bike. I bought a used recently built 853 motor, as opposed to having my motor rebuilt, due to the apparent cost savings. Turns out cheap was expensive. I missed a shift, and the built motor bent every valve on one head. By the time I was done I ended up spending thousands of dollars more by cheaping out.

My advice would be to have your motor gone through by a competent shop. If you don't have one you trust with the job, I can make recommendations, but you'd have to ship your lump.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:39:36 AM »

Spend more money? Other people's money?  Cool Yoohooo

For probably less money, you can look for a 1000 engine. Mild tune = port & polish plus air box and Dyno = as much/more power that you recently had. However the rebuild project will probably be even better.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Blackout

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:02:31 AM »

Anyone know if the S2R (800) motor fits into the older 800 dual swingarm models? I'd love to get mine back on the road.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:41 AM »

Anyone know if the S2R (800) motor fits into the older 800 dual swingarm models? I'd love to get mine back on the road.

Yes it will. Use the M800 exhaust.

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 02:15:51 PM »

Mark, maybe check with Used Ducati Parts... they are on FB as well as being reached at 407-347-3498 (Florida)  They always get in stuff like yours... either the motor pretzled, or the frame was bent... which seems to be the only way a Ducati seems to die.... but very often they have an entire motor available.  Might get lucky.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:15 PM »

Make sure to get a second opinion inspection.

Also in line with DP's advice, a repair may cost more than the bikes value, but less than a reliable, trustworthy replacement.

Various markets give a context. Thats why Ducatis only die by being totalled.  I still have my old 4x4 pick up which I put small money into every third year because a 30 grand replacement won't be new and potentially needing another 10k of work and a new one is 50-60 grand.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:43:00 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:07:43 PM »

Also in line with DP's advice, a repair may cost more than the bikes value, but less than a reliable, trustworthy replacement.

Various markets give a context. Thats why Ducatis only die by being totalled.  I still have my old 4x4 pick up which I put small money into every third year because a 30 grand replacement won't be new and potentially needing another 10k of work and a new one is 50-60 grand.
Just to explain...you can undoubtedly buy a used motor for less, but will it work out in the long run?

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:16:48 PM »

Just to explain...you can undoubtedly buy a used motor for less, but will it work out in the long run?

Dude likes his bike...   Grin

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:48:39 PM »

Zakly, assuming the rest of the bike is in good condition.
Mhanis

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 09:04:37 AM »

So you're saying that GENERALLY speaking while it may cost a bit more, better to get my engine fixed properly as opposed to purchasing an unknown different motor?

I'll head up to the dealership today and get the actual quote then I can start looking around a bit to weight options. I am not going to have them do anything at this point.

What is the likelihood that the engine eventually gets cracked open and other issues are found? I know that no one will know until it is opened, I am just wondering if this particular engine has any other common issues that may need to be addressed.....

I appreciate everyone chiming in, thank you!

It has been a dark couple of days around here.

Mark

Pete Townshend

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 09:27:21 AM »

What is the likelihood that the engine eventually gets cracked open and other issues are found? I know that no one will know until it is opened, I am just wondering if this particular engine has any other common issues that may need to be addressed.....

Mark
That's a very real possibility. On the 996 motor that went south, the main issue was a bad left side main bearing. Once inside there were all kinds of other issues. That's what pushed me to a less expensive used motor.

Was a bad decision, in my case. Would have been less in the long run to go with a full rebuild of the 996.

perspective

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »

Did an M900 engine swap, but the replacement motor and its history were well known to me. A low mileage motor with good compression and whose oil told a good story wouldnt worry me, but I would want to trust its history and supplier. With a replacement motor, I would be checking it over on the stand before installation and refreshing the heads if required, examining the clutch, timing case components, etc. That's time and money.
How much of the work would you do yourself?
In the case of a motor rebuild, my feeling is to use a trusted, independent operator, even if it means shipping the motor or bike to them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:28:37 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Mhanis

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 01:06:32 PM »

From the dealer, rebuilding my lower end, replacing the starter sprag and performing regular desmo service I am looking at $5400 (US).

I am picking the bike up until I decide what to do.

If I am going to look around for a new motor is there somewhere I should be looking other than Ebay? This is something that is a bit outside of my SOP.....

I know Dennis mentioned Used Ducati Parts, anyone else I should look into?

Mark

Pete Townshend

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »

From the dealer, rebuilding my lower end, replacing the starter sprag and performing regular desmo service I am looking at $5400 (US).

VERY reputable Dutch Ducati builder/tuner Biggelaar did a very complete rebuild job (while replacing cracked cases) - blue printing in other words. Refresh heads. Starter sprag (!). New output shat. New bearings all around. Engine out + in. The whole job - everything. Roughly $2,000. One of the experts AND good guys in the US can't be that much more expensive (?), but even if they are - it's still around half of the dealer offer.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: