Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 04:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coil relocation isolation  (Read 2022 times)
RB

« on: May 03, 2022, 06:40:55 AM »

Do the factory 2006 S2R coils need to be isolated from ground, meaning, not mounted to the chassis directly?
Years ago I swapped to pod filters and relocated my coils to the chassis mounts I built. I believe that both my coils have now died. I had a code that a coil was misfiring, but everything I read said that the coils rarely go up at the same time and that the fault codes rarely point to the actual issue, so…. I have tested the coils with a coil tester and both coils create weak and inconsistent spark. All connections tested for continuity, ignition relays just replaced, no shorts in the system detected. The bike was not running very well last season and this lead me to checking my coils.
My bike has 45k miles, original coils, recently replaced plugs and wires.
I see the CA-Cycleworks coils require ground isolation, I never read anywhere that the factory coils were the same.
Anyone know the answer?
Cheers

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 08:30:29 AM »

The one on it's own (broken twice!) bracket by the passenger left footpeg has worked fine for me, mounted with zip ties. I'm not sure if that's an answer, but I can add that the first time it caused the bike to run on one cylinder when it was just hanging there by the wires.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
RB

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »

Thanks for the response. Looking at my handy work, one coil was isolated and the other was chassis mounted. I never noticed any issues for years. It appears that the S2R mounted the coils on the plastic airbox, which would keep them isolated, I’m just not sure if this is necessary. I bought a used set of coils from fleabay(off a 2018 scrambler) in hopes this will show the coils were bad.

RB

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »

Bumping this for more eyes as I can’t find a clear answer.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »

Not sure, but I think the only benefit of isolation would be to absorb vibration.
RB

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »

Thanks Howie, I guess at this point I will try to isolate them from ground as that is how they were from the factory.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:39:03 PM »

Thanks Howie, I guess at this point I will try to isolate them from ground as that is how they were from the factory.

Not on the S2R800.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 02:44:29 PM »

I've seen later carbed Monsters with factory looms that had extra ground wires connected to the upper coil posts. I've seen earlier Monsters and Supersports without the extra ground wires. However, iirc, I've also read the caution regarding CCW  Exactfit coils needing to be isolated due to their particular design, but that might only be regarding certain models. As mentioned, there are injected models that have the coil posts bolted directly to the frame. The carbed Bimota DB4 which runs carbed desmodue coils and Kokusan ignition also has the coil posts bolted directly to the chassis. It must depend on the coil design, packaging considerations, etc

Best put them in the oem location or in the case of aftermarket coils get advice regarding grounding vs isolating from The mfr. The question is are we trying to isolate the coils from heat/vibration or from the chassis/ground to protect from accidental voltage spikes messing with other ignition components? My knowledge is limited, but these are issues that come to mind. Check with a dealership that the Scrambler coils are ok with the location points you have in mind. I've never worked on a Scrambler so don't know how they're mounted.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:52:11 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: