Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 12:18:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator, regulator, battery? 2009 696  (Read 7012 times)
metroplex

« on: May 04, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

I'm wondering if my alternator or battery is going bad... It's a 2009 696

Just 2 days ago, I had fired it up and saw that it was maintaining 13.6-13.8 VDC while idling fully warmed up.

I went today to remove the Ducati Race ECU, switched it back to the stock ECU and paper air filter. I put everything back together, and when it fired up, battery voltage was 11.9 VDC! As it was warming up to 2-3 bars, idling 1300 RPM, the voltage was 11.6 VDC and dropping. I saw it go as low as 11.1 VDC.

Any idea if this is the alternator, regulator, or battery? It's the original Yusa YT12B-BS from 2011. I went over the procedure I did to swap the parts, and can't think of a reason why I'd knock something off/loose that would cause this. Or if the stock ECU is somehow not working right with the regulator?

Before I throw money on a new battery, I figured I'd ask. If it does end up being a new battery is needed, what do you all normally do with old motorcycle batteries? Turn them into the nearest Autozone/drop-off since there's no core charge/return?

These aren't the droids you're looking for
RB

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 04:03:11 PM »

Mate that battery is way older than it should be, you are quite lucky to have gotten an extra 6 years out of it. I'd replace that first and see if that clears the issue.

good luck

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »

11 year old battery?  I'll pass on my usual charge and load test rant.  Amazing the bike started and ran.  New battery, then check the charging system.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:30:55 PM by howie » Logged
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 05:22:13 AM »

Serious new battery time.

If you are in America, most any auto parts store or oil change/mechanic shop will take your battery... they have to by law.

FWIW, my '13 796 had the same problems, including complete cut-outs trying to start... a new battery fixed all that.  That is not to say improving the starter wiring wouldn't be a bonus...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
metroplex

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 06:36:44 AM »

Well that is good news if everyone feels it is the battery. I just have to lift that fuel tank again to get access to it.

What's the consensus on Shorai's Lithium batteries? Looks like it has more cold cranking amps and twice the capacity (20 A-h vs 10 A-h). Just curious if anyone has heard of long-term issues with the stock alternator/regulator? I'd have to get a Lithium-compatible Tender of course.

RB

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 08:09:33 AM »

I’ve only used anti-gravity lithium batteries. I’ve had one for 3years now. It stays on a tender if not running the bike weekly. I’m happy with its performance.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 02:23:16 AM »

I really like the Shorai batteries, but a genuine Yuasa AGM battery lasted that long at half the price. If you're on a weight loss trip go with the Shorai or equivalent quality Lithium Iron battery and don't skimp. Check the regulator voltage output to the battery once the battery is replaced by scrolling through the dash function. There is a chance that a bad regulator finished off your trusty old battery. You will need a special charger with a Ducati compatible loom connector if you go with a Shorai or similar battery. The correct connector will save you having to run a pig tail from the battery terminals.

I have an oem style Yuasa AGM in my 1100Evo and run the charger through the loom plug under the seat, so no battery pig tail. The oem Ducati charger available charges at 14-14.5 V and maintains at 13-13.5V. It's simple but it works well.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
metroplex

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »

Yep, that's how I was able to keep that original Yuasa. The dealer installed a Tender cord (SAE connector) but used too short of a wire so it would get really soft from the engine heat. I wired in a much longer one that gets routed under the seat and used that for 11+ years with a Battery Tender. I see that I need a Li-Iron compatible Tender if I want to go the Lithium route.

I hear I should go with a MOSFET Lithium-compatible regulator as well. Any good plug and play recommendations?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 04:18:58 AM »

If you feel you must spend extra money to replace a battery that worked just fine for 11 years with a fancy lithium one... Undecided

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ He offers a lithium compatible model, and I've had good luck with his products.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

metroplex

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 04:26:12 AM »

One thing I always noticed with the Yuasa was that it sometimes took forever to start the engine. It just didn't seem to have as much punch for cold starts. That's mainly the reason why I wanted to go with a fancy Lithium battery (higher CCA's, higher capacity, and the higher voltage).

It looks like they have the Hot Shot Lithium Compatible R/R.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 04:35:45 AM »

Personally, I'd upgrade the starter cables and use an AGM. The lithium battery will be handcuffed by the stock cables, as was the AGM.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 05:41:30 AM »

Personally, I'd upgrade the starter cables and use an AGM. The lithium battery will be handcuffed by the stock cables, as was the AGM.

I would tend to agree.

While the new AGM battery solved my starting problems on my 796, the Real Answer is new cables.  AGM batteries are pretty idiot proof, and last a good while if properly tended/maintained.  I like throwing money at problems, particularly motorcycle problems, but I didn't waste the money on a lithium battery.  New cables are on the schedule for this year's Upgrade Project.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
metroplex

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 06:02:53 AM »

AGMs were the new hotness 20+ years ago. When they first came out they recommended different regulators to charge them properly. They required a different curve than standard flooded batteries.

But today, even the military is switching over to Lithiums in heavy-duty applications, so that had me wondering about going to Lithium as well. Plus I heard the OE R/R's on the 696 were prone to failure anyhow?

RB

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 06:10:52 AM »

Personally I have only had regular batteries last 3-4yrs on my bike. Bike is ridden regularly, or kept on tender in off season (3-4 months) and stored in the shed that is not climate controlled. I have 45k miles on my 06 S2R and have replaced the battery a few times before trying the lighter lithium setup. I have also upgraded the rectifier to a ricks mosfet. 
How many years of service are you gettting out of the AGMs?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 02:39:13 PM »

Some people say all Ducati regulators are prone to failure. The stator connector is definitely prone to failure

A Mosfet regulator is a worthwhile upgrade.

Heavier battery cables are a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't see the need to use a lithium battery based on the requirements of the bike, and the additional purchases necessary to maintain it. YMMV.

perspective

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: