Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 01:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S21FOLGORE's MICRO short film thread  (Read 4567 times)
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2024, 05:24:09 PM »

Legendary Canon FD80mm F1.2 “L” lens image samples (including rack focus) and improvised short films

I opted to go showing what kind of image you can create with this lens,

rather than showing the lens itself and talking about the specs and history.

First short film (just about 60 second) is “one-cut, one location, one lens” style. This lens is PERFECT for this type of filmmaking, in my very biased and personal opinion.

2nd short film was shot at my motorcycle garage, on the way back home right after purchasing this lens.

It is multi-cut film, but shot on one lens, in one location.

Both of them were totally improvised, shot with minimal amount of gear, just by myself, and, most importantly, IMAGINATION.

As you can most probably tell, I’m a big, BIG fan of film noir, 1950s and 60s PI stories. (Okay, Raymond Chandler’s stories were technically late 1940s, so let’s include 40s, too.)

I’m really happy with this purchase.

[Note]

The camera is Fuji X-T4, all my FD lenses are used with Metabones Speed Booster. (So 80mm is an 80mm, not 80 x 1.5.)

In both films, no lights were used, other than candle light.

It’s all done by carefully placing myself (subject) and camera, thinking which way the light is coming from.

[Back story]

DSCF2536 by T K, on Flickr

So, I’ve been trying NOT to buy things I don’t really need for my day to day life.

And, to be honest, I’ve been doing pretty good.

(After March 31st, I’ve spent a whole lot less than befor…)

“Create, rather than consume”, someone on Youtube said that.

I don’t remember who it was… (could be Peter McKinnon, but not sure…)

But this one, I couldn’t resist.

The last day of my “2-month time off”, I was drinking my first cup of coffee in the morning, while casually browsing through Craigslist ads.

And, I saw the title,

“Canon FD 80mm F1.2 L $695”

That particular ad was from Seawood photo in San Rafael, which is “kind of” my go to camera store. (Have been their customer for roughly 20 years or so…)

Five out of six FD lenses I own, I purchased from them, over the period of long time. (I’m not a vintage lens collector, I’m a vintage lens shooter, so normally don’t actively look for some particular lenses on eBay, etc.)

I did some still photo test, too.  I'll post it on photography thread.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2024, 12:01:08 AM »

How to switch between Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto, quickly and seamlessly(without swapping the plate)

How I use one camera for both still photos and videos, on multiple tripods, without swapping mounting plates every time I change tripod.

Basically, I just mounted Small Rig 2280 Arca-Swiss quick release clamp on Manfrotto place (Genuine Manfrotto plate), with universal cheese plate in between.

Somethings are so obvious when I look back, but didn't (couldn't) really see when I started this small project were ...

Some quick release clamps, such as SIURI QC-38, the "drop-in, lever lock" type clamps, are only compatible with provided Arca-Swiss plate.

This clamp looks nice in the photos, feels and works nice in your hand, but ...

It'll work ONLY with this plate. (That comes with the clamp.)

It is adjustable, but the range of adjustment is so narrow.
I tired Peak Design, Small Rig, Neewer, K&F, and some unknown plates.
Non of them would fit.

So I returned it.

Bought Small Rig 2280. Not the most elegant looking clamp, but it does what it needs to do.

Mounted on Manfrotto plate that came with 501HDV head.
Only to realize, when tighten down the mounting screw, the clamp jaw will not move freely.
Found cheese plate in the parts box, sandwiched it in between.

Talking about "Manfrotto" plates, I found that...

Anything that comes from Manfrotto will fit onto their head AND other brands' "compatible heads".

The plates that come with "other brands' Manfrotto compatible head" WILL NOT always work on Manfrotto head.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 07:18:41 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2024, 09:43:53 AM »

Fuji X-H2 & Vintage Canon FD85mmf1.2L test short film] "The Outsider"

Totally unscripted.
 It just happened while testing the camera and the lens.

Shot on Fuji X-H2 (Yes, H2. NOT H2S.) with vintage Canon FD85mm f1.2 L lens.
(And the camera is on also vintage Manfrotto 055XB PRO legs + 501HDV head.)

Shot in F-Log2

And because of that (shooting in F-Log2), I had to have VND PLUS 6-stop fixed # ND most of the time while shooting the video.

The camera is new to me. I purchased this as my "Photography camera".
But when I saw this bunch of goats on the hill, I had to shoot some videos.
Overall, I'm very happy with the camera.
If you are particularly interested in X-H2 (over X-H2S), look at the part the camera is panning. Can you tell the rolling shutter effect?
To me personally, this is perfectly fine.
(I really don't move the camera most of the time, actually. Let alone doing whip pan like "Whiplash", "La La Land".)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: