Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 03:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M695 starting issue fuel flange wires replaced  (Read 2705 times)
m695

« on: October 05, 2022, 11:51:57 AM »

I have a 2007 M695. I've had a stating problem for a while, and it was the fuel flange wires. The fuel pump wasn't priming or coming on. I got a new fuel wire flange from CA cycle works, I got it installed and BINGO the fuel pump was working! The Ducati started for the first time in about two years. I replaced the battery and spark plugs. Now the engine cranks and idles for a few seconds and dies. When the engine starts, I've tried to rev it but the engine dies, sometimes it backfires then dies. What else am I missing? I really want to get this thing back on the road where it needs to be. I am located 1 1/2 hours away from the nearest three Ducati dealers so taking it to the dealer isn't an option right now. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 01:09:16 PM »

If it was sitting with gas I would consider changing the fuel filter, the fuel regulator and having the injectors sonically cleaned by an auto shop. That on top of the normal scheduled maintenance.

Things can gum up and I've heard of injectors being glued shut or half the holes blocked. Pressure reg and filter can get clagged putting a strain on the pump.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:06:39 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 04:59:35 AM »

Battery condition?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 05:37:49 AM »

Battery condition?

Good point, on an FI bike the battery can be strong enough to crank the engine, but not be able to power the computer.  Charge and load test.
m695

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 06:47:04 AM »

I put a brand new battery, and charged it to full charge. The bike is trying to run. When it starts it has low idle like the bikes do when it's a cold start,  if it runs for a few seconds- a minute, it surges. When I twist the throttle the engine dies. I have got it to rev a few times, once at 3000 rpm for about a minute. Once I let off the throttle it settled around 1000 and then it dies after a few seconds. When it backfires, it's coming from the airbox section.
m695

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »

Thanks guys for the guidance. The battery I put on the bike is a budget battery from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131FZKW8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details The battery got good reviews but I'm thinking you guys may be right, this battery my not be powerful enough to run the computer. I charged the battery and the charge reads full charge. The engine trys to start and will start for a few seconds but when the throttle is applied the bike dies. I have noticed that the bright light for the headlight will not come on either. When I attach the battery jump starter the bright light will come on but as soon as the external power is removed the bright light goes off. i am totally confused and not an electrician, but I know that the bike isn't getting fuel.

Does anyone believe this battery could be the culprit? Are the any recommendations for a good "budget" battery at least until the problem can be isolated? The bike came with a YUSA BT12B and I replaced it with a Shorai lithium battery but they are both dead. I don't want to spend a lot on another battery until know for sure that is the problem.

Also, a few years ago I had to replace the electrical rectifier that is under the seat. It was having symptoms of a failing battery, and I thought that was my problem until I was trying to start the bike and smoke started coming from the rectifier.

The not starting issue I'm having seems similar to the bad rectifier but without the smoke.

Please help!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »

Easy enough to determine battery condition.  Fully charge and have it load tested.  Fully charged means fully charge, that is all. Cheap battery is often not a money saver.  I have had  Yuasa last over seven years.  When I replaced it it was still starting the bike. 

The fact that the bike starts indicates back to fuel.  Have you at least dumped the old fuel add changed the fuel filter?  What condition are the fuel hoses in?
m695

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 08:36:24 PM »

Yes, the fuel was completely drained when i pulled the fuel flange assembly. The hoses appear to be in good condition, there isn't any visible cracking or deterioration to the hoses. I have always used non-ethenol fuel in the bike except for the few occasions when I was riding and it wasn't available. The bike only has 4400 miles on it but it has been sitting for almost two years. I replaced the spark plugs too.

How can I get the battery load tested?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 02:52:32 AM »

Most of the national auto parts chains like auto-zone, o'rielly's...etc will load test batteries for free.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 07:51:49 PM »

If it was sitting with gas I would consider changing the fuel filter, the fuel regulator and having the injectors sonically cleaned by an auto shop. That on top of the normal scheduled maintenance.

Things can gum up and I've heard of injectors being glued shut or half the holes blocked. Pressure reg and filter can get clagged putting a strain on the pump.

sitting 2 yrs; Id agree with above and guess some fuel deposits; Injectors are known to get damaged from sitting for a while, so fuel injection cleaner would help if it were running ..

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: