Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 12:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEMA 2022 Highlight (for me)  (Read 907 times)
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« on: November 09, 2022, 06:18:30 PM »

No, it wasn't catching covid.  bang head

As I'm sure, many of you were Hot Rod subscribers at one time.

You probably recall longtime editor Gray Baskerville.  And likely his '32 Ford Roadster, which was a daily driver for him.

From 2002-2004, I was the service and parts rep in Las Vegas.  Jim Shelton was the General Manager of one of our dealerships there and also a big car nut, especially '32 Roadsters and Gray's in particular.  He even had a clone built by SoCal Speed Shops, who also maintained Gray's car.  Which I got to ride in a few times on our way to lunch.  What a car!

Anyhow, after Gray's terminal diagnosis, Jim was on the very short list of people who the family would consider selling the car too.  Gray had no desire for it to be a museum piece, trailer queen or anything other than a daily driver.

Jim bought the car and still has it today.

I was walking through one of the parking lots at the show and saw the primered fender on the left rear and immediately knew what car it was.  To my surprise, Jim was at the display talking about the car to anyone and everyone who asked about it.  I don't remember when Jim retired from the dealership, but I hadn't seen him in probably 15 years.  

Yes, he still drives it on a regular basis, and has been spotted at various meetups around Las Vegas or SoCal.  In fact, he drove it up to Pebble Beach for the Concours d'Elegance earlier this year (they had a 90th anniversary gathering of '32 Fords).

Just thought I'd share.

Pictures from SEMA:

<edit> Found a picture of Jim & the car hosted on a site other than google where I had uploaded them.  He's wearing the hat and sunglasses (not a flattering photo of him).

Here are a couple links to an article and a forum with more info on the car if you're so inclined.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gray-baskerville-1932-ford-roadster-any-info-on-the-details.1096964/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/0309sr-1932-gray-baskerville-ford-roadster/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 07:32:29 PM by Randimus Maximus » Logged

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »

waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 05:40:06 AM »

Cool

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Jaman

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 01:15:10 PM »

waytogo  ThankU for sharing, very Cool.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:57:30 PM »

A friends dad in VT is a 32 nut. They're very cool cars, even in original form. waytogo

Google has the SEMA pics effed up. Roll Eyes

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »

Guess I wasn't the only one who thought it was cool!

https://v8speedshop.com/the-most-significant-car-at-the-2022-sema-show/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hot-rod-75-anniversary-issue-unveil-sema-show-2022/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:45:15 PM by Randimus Maximus » Logged

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »

waytogo waytogo Dolph

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: