Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 04:20:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S4R stock exhaust mod?  (Read 3224 times)
thegunner76

« on: December 02, 2022, 01:44:31 AM »

Hi everyone

I recently bought a ’04 S4R that came with Termignoni exhaust. It turns out that it breaks the db limit in my country so I’ll have to put the stock back on (came with the bike). Problem is, I think it’s a real step back, when it comes to looks. I don’t even know which ECU installed either, so not sure if I can just slip them back on, but im going to find out.

Anyone done any mods on the stock exhaust system?

The QD pipeless system looks wicked though
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:39:49 AM »

Quat D is louder than the Termi's, and IMO don't sound anywhere near as good.

Get a pair of these, https://termignoni.store/en/termignoni-spare-parts/1098-db-killer-for-ducati-monster-racing-slip-on-exhaust.html  or similar...

You may have to have some tuning done.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

convict

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 07:35:11 AM »

average street rider will notice  ZERO improvement in upgrading the exhaust on a 1000cc liquid cooled bike

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »

First in line if the Termis come up for sale waytogo

Who said it's not legal? Facebook?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »

First in line if the Termis come up for sale waytogo

Who said it's not legal? Facebook?
Shipping will be cheap...he's a Norge.  Grin

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »

average street rider will notice  ZERO improvement in upgrading the exhaust on a 1000cc liquid cooled bike

If the exhaust is part of an upgrade of the ECU (Ducati Performance) there is a significant improvement, and a noticeable decrease in power if the DB killers are added
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »

He only has to install them for whatever certification his country requires. Wink

perspective

thegunner76

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:28:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies, folks.

First of all, whats a Norge? Sounds like a condition laughingdp But yeah, I live in Norway, and no, dont think I'll ever sell the Termis anyway.

The ones I got is "Termignoni slip on silencers racing carbon", and Im sorry, because I was misleading in my first post. Yes, there is a db issue, but even with a db-killer, they will never be street legal (as they are for track use). Im new to the whole MC univers (this is my first bike) so please excuse my ignorance.

I guess because the Termis are slip on, I still have the stock ECU and swaping for the OEM mufflers will be of no issue? As I said, I'll find out soon enough, so thats not really something you guys can help me with... yet.

But my problem are the stock exhaust system, which I dont find appealing to the eye, to say the least. Maybe because my referance is the Termignonis.
My sole reason to change the exhaust, is the aesthetics. Increase in performance is not my main goal here, but a welcome consequence.

Ive been searching for some diy customization of the OEM exhasut, without any luck. But Im sure there are some of you that has either painted it, relocated it, or even made a new heat screen to the OEM's. Because thats my only option as it stands now.

In the future I most defenitely will buy a completely different exhaust system, but right now thats not an option. I mentioned QD because I love how the bike looks with them (not even sure if those will be approved by my government either). I saw someone in the "Homemade mods" thread building their own set of QD-like exhaust, which were wicked!, but I guess a homemade exhast system will be laughed at, by the officials here in Norway.
The Boom tubes by MotoCreations also looks sick, but still... the homologation to European Union standards (TÜV), and of course money is not my friend right now.

Which leaves me the option of customizing the ones I have

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 03:38:14 AM »

Ok ....

The Termi slip ons were sold as "For racing use only", marked as such and including Ducati Performance ECU. Not road legal, but we use them anyway. DB-killers don't help with the legal issues, but helps a lot with noice issues (track days and police attention). Switch to stock exhaust if you are caught and have to have the bike checked. Switch back afterwards.

The other slip on package is road legal and has an E-number on the rear end steel bands, dB-killers and Ducati Performance ECU. Stupid thing is that the two packages are identical - just labeled differently.

I've seen and heard people NOT installing the ECU. Difficult/forgot/expensive ....

Do you still have the "udder"? (the large exhaust part between your feet, where the QD x-box would be?). This dampens sound and is more or less part of the road legal thing. Later models had catalytic converters in that udder, but your bike is EURO 2 (?) which are not required to have the converter.

QD x-box: sounds like a steel box (not cool at all), is legal, but often make problems with the engine running (uneven, rough, stumbles a.s.o.)(probably not for everyone).

BoomTubes by Mark at Motocreations have not been made for years. They were created (he called it imagineering) for the Desmo Devil - mostly/only for the style. Looks fantastic, but is loud noise just for being loud. Not cool, IMO.

Keep us posted waytogo

thegunner76

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 04:45:57 AM »

Thanks stopintime!

I dont have that said E-number, so I guess Im an outlaw for the time beeing. And no, the "udder" is not mounted, and didnt come with the bike.

Yeah, I thought about switching back and forth, but they keep records and give penalties about the same amount as a new exhaust system if you get caught the second time  ByeBye

So my options will be to keep the stock system for now, and buy street legal ones at a later stage.
Or of course, buy the db-killers and drive with the Termis until I get caught  Grin

And yes, the more I read about them, neither the QD nor the BoomTubes are options for me.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 05:07:34 AM »

Yeah, I thought about switching back and forth, but they keep records and give penalties about the same amount as a new exhaust system if you get caught the second time  ByeBye

So my options will be to keep the stock system for now, and buy street legal ones at a later stage.
Or of course, buy the db-killers and drive with the Termis until I get caught  Grin

The penalty thing is a complete surprise to me.... In Norway?

It's hard to find the classic slip ons for sale, but some of the "45 degree" slip ons are still available - race edition AND legal edition.

Stock muffler modification have been done. Different levels of coring and/or "wool" packing. Go to acc & mods and search stock exhaust coring / mod

thegunner76

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 05:32:51 AM »

Cheers!

Yes, so Ive been told anyways... But then again, not sure how often people get pulled over. Previous owner had the Termis on for about 3-4 years and never even considered it as a problem
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 06:07:49 AM »

I'm not convinced that the penalty story is true ...  When I had my Termis approved in my paperwork, they took pictures, so they might compare future situations to what was actually approved. From there to dishing out heavy penalties is a huge step though....

As a balancing story.... I've done 230.000 km in urban Norway and 13 summers in continental Europe - home to the horror stories about what happens to noise polluters. Never a problem. Paperwork in order if I get pulled over. DB-killers in my luggage. Almost always considerate riding if there are people around - slow and low revs in urban environments, wave at kids and the elderly. The Swedish, Danish, German, Swiss and Austrian police hunt down the groups of wheely'ing assholes with Chinese "GP slip ons". Understandable and actually a help to normal riders. Don't get me wrong - I get my fair share of speed and thrills, but there is a time and place for everything. 

thegunner76

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 11:10:49 AM »

Cool, it might have been a urban legend to scare kids straight, then...
As for the driving in general, its impossible to disagree with what you said. Behave and act accordingly. And it doesnt hurt to have your papers in order Grin
convict

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 03:02:11 PM »

loud pipes are hard to enforce
for a sound complaint to hold in must be conducted in a controlled enviroment otherwise you have ambiant sound and rebounded sound. exact distance exact height certified technician so it usually turns into anyting else they can find. here in halifax ns canada our police bikes are way too loud so you really have to be doing something stupid.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: