Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “A motorcycle, as a bringer of happiness”  (Read 2345 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: December 02, 2022, 03:55:52 PM »

(EDIT: Audio fixed)
I already posted this video in (my own) micro short film thread.
BUT, that thread is about filmmaking.
So,(in that thread) I talk about how I made a shot, at what ISO, what lenses and filters used, etc, etc, the "technical" stuff, you know.
Not in this thread.

Here, I just wanted to show an example, of how riding experience can change your mood.

Generally speaking, "cold" + "darkness" doesn't really sounds like something that you'd feel happiness.
I don't mind cold weather (grew up in snow country), don't mind being in the darkness alone.

Am I the only one who feel happiness & satisfaction when coming back from the ride, alone, in total darkness, turning off the ignition (so the exhaust note AND light are gone...) suddenly it becomes all so quite...

Or, is it that I'm a kind of person who gets pleased too easily when playing with the toys?

BTW, I always (okay, not always, but quite often) have this scene in my head when I stop, and get off the bike.

(Rumble Fish, 1983 Francis Ford Coppola film)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:18:09 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
greenmonster

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 06:20:08 AM »

Agree it ´s a bringer of happiness.
Agree its not brand etc that gives you pleasure, I get almost the same satisfaction riding very small gravel
roads on my granddads 1963 1 HP moped.
Technically, bump up the voiceover, very hard to hear what you say.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:37 AM »

BIG THANKS to pointing out the "audio".

I re-watched the video, and ... yeah, the audio sucks.
Don't know what made me think it's okay to post and publish, but, clearly this video's audio needs to be fixed.
So, most likely, I just delete this video and either completely remake or just record voice over again.

I always have some problems with the audio (when it comes to making Youtube videos), it seems like.

In this video, I used the set up that I never tired before.
(Not going to technical stuff, such as what mic, what audio interface, etc.)

For someone like me, it's too easy to forget everything once the video is posted.
Unless someone points out things like "hard to hear voice over", I wouldn't realize that problem and I'd keep making same mistakes over and over...

And, here's the "George Lucas on Joy, Pleasure, and Happiness" video

greenmonster

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »

Don`t delete it, thread looses meaning.

As a sound tech, although only live, a few tips:

1. If your recording gear has any meters of incoming signal, make sure its close to 0dB,
usually when green LEDs turn yellow. Means you have a fully saturated input.
2. Voiceover usually uses quite a bit of compression to make it more even and "louder".
Reduces dynamics but you mainly need clarity. Pretty sure its easy to google how to use it.
Youtube has tutorials.

And don`t loose the philosophical part of this thread over technicalities.... Wink
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:11:19 PM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »

THANK YOU!

Okay, so I said I wouldn't talk about "technical stuff" in this thread ... but, since you were kind enough to point out a few really practical tips ...

1. I normally avoid "shotgun mic on top of the camera" (typical "Youtuber/Vlogger" style) set up, anytime I want to capture what I say.
NOT a good set up

Because,
 Because I'm usually too far away from the camera/mic. Or else, I'm constantly moving around, looking down, turning around.

So, I use wireless lav mic these days.
(Before, I used Zoom H1N + wired lav mic on me, and shotgun mic on camera for scratch audio. Then, sinched in the post.
This is probably the best set up. But using wireless lav and directly recording in camera is easier (at least, that's how it seems, at my level.)

So, I should aim at around 0dB. I'd do that from next time.

2. Voice over
I DID use FCP's graphic EQ, and tweaked my voice, so that it would be clearer.
When I do voice over in FCP, I monitor my own voice with headphone, but it's actually making things harder, because of latency.
The set up I used for this video was Zoom H1n as USB audio interface connected to Macbook Pro, and using Sennheiser MKE400 attached to ZoomH1n as microphone. I know using shotgun in indoor recording is not a good idea, but I needed to isolate the background noise (heater, mostly).
greenmonster

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 05:57:02 AM »

Much better audio now on first posting.

Another tip, if your equipment has it:
Use a hipassfilter on the eq, clears up low end and dimishies B&P in words and cuts a bit of other wind noises.
Live I use around 160Hz, try what makes your recording better.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
diamonddog-2

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 08:00:17 AM »

Am I the only one who feel happiness & satisfaction when coming back from the ride, alone, in total darkness, turning off the ignition (so the exhaust note AND light are gone...) suddenly it becomes all so quite...

I'd completely agree that riding can be SUCH a mood altering experience. I leave for the ride with anticipation for the sights, sounds, smells, feel of the bike responding to my control input, ...... that I get a nice buzz going as I leave.  Conversely, on one route in particular I ALWAYS get a touch of sadness as I realize this twisting piece of road is bringing me back home again, the adventure is coming to an end.  The sun is typically getting low as I hit this area. A touch of melancholy as I head back home again, pull into the driveway and turn my bike off.

Weirdly enough, I usually thank my higher power for the ability to experience the ride and just feel blessed.

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: